DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   PowerVision PowerRay - Underwater 4K submarine / drone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/534057-powervision-powerray-underwater-4k-submarine-drone.html)

Paulo Teixeira May 7th, 2017 03:15 AM

PowerVision PowerRay - Underwater 4K submarine / drone

NAB 2017 interview

Official site:
PowerRay Underwater Robot | Redefine Recreational Fishing

Promotional video:

Actual footage. It's capable of shooting in 4K and so they should have uploaded it in 4K.

Bruce Dempsey May 7th, 2017 11:58 AM

Re: PowerVision PowerRay - Underwater 4K submarine / drone

seems the power ray is a tethered drone.
Prolly never get all tangled up down there :)

Dan Brockett May 8th, 2017 08:00 AM

I don't understand the purpose of this. Shooting yourself would be so much better and so much more efficient. Unless you are trying to get CUs of Great Whites in open water, I see no purpose for this unless you are afraid or incapable of scuba diving? Who would buy this?

Jeff Pulera May 8th, 2017 08:29 AM

Hi Dan,

By buddy produces a fishing show for cable, and currently sticks a GoPro on the end of a pole to get underwater shots, and just hopes the fish is in the frame ;-)

I think this would be fantastic to capture the below-the-water action when reeling in the big one!

Thanks

Jeff

Bryan Worsley May 9th, 2017 05:45 AM

As Bruce quipped:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1931854)
seems the power ray is a tethered drone.
Prolly never get all tangled up down there :)

It's the potential for entanglement, and damage in choppy conditions and stronger currents, that I see as the biggest drawbacks. And then what are you going to do to if you are not a diver yourself or there are not other divers on hand to retrieve it ?

One potential use I could see though is for hotels and/or dive centres that operate holiday boat excursions. Group members that are unable or frightened to dive or snorkel could at least share some of the experience from the safety of the boat. Maybe also for scoping out a dive spot, or even for training purposes, bearing in mind the need for care to avoid injury of those in the water.

Paulo Teixeira May 9th, 2017 08:18 AM

The rep claims that it'll float on top of the water when it's off.

Bryan Worsley May 9th, 2017 11:09 AM

......and hopefully it stays down when it's running ;>)

Dan Brockett May 9th, 2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1931914)
Hi Dan,

By buddy produces a fishing show for cable, and currently sticks a GoPro on the end of a pole to get underwater shots, and just hopes the fish is in the frame ;-)

I think this would be fantastic to capture the below-the-water action when reeling in the big one!

Thanks

Jeff

Might work for that but being a fisherman myself, I cannot see how you would avoid your fishing lines getting tangled in the tether cable.