DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Kinefinity Terra 4K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/535661-kinefinity-terra-4k.html)

Doug Jensen July 28th, 2018 07:19 PM

Re: Kinefinity Terra 4K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945620)
They are both all-intra and use the same DCT technology.
I think that your claim is simply impossible.

No, it is true. Do you not understand how one codec can be more efficient that another? ProRes was never intended for acquisition.

Cary Knoop July 28th, 2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1945623)
No, it is true. Do you not understand how one codec can be more efficient that another? ProRes was never intended for acquisition.

Sure, I don't understand, that must be it........

I am not even going to argue this: XAVC-I gives the same quality as ProRes with only needing half the file size, believe it!

Have a nice day!

Doug Jensen July 29th, 2018 08:29 AM

Cary, I know you disagree with almost everything I say on the forums, so fortunately you don't have to take my word for it on this one. There are plenty of reputable sources that will tell you XAVC is a more efficient codec than ProRes. In other words, you get much smaller file sizes for the same image quality.

Here are a couple:

https://www.redsharknews.com/technol...t,-xavc?page=1

"Better quality than traditional production codecs (eg ProRes or DNxHD) in less space. ProRes and DNxHD are examples of edit-friendly codecs that are easy to work with because they’re relatively simple, and use a low compression ratio. They give great quality at the expense of taking up a bit more room. The more sophisticated algorithms used in XAVC improve the quality for a given bitrate. Although the Sony format needs more computing power, with XAVC IntraFame, you will probably get the same quality as ProRes in around half the space, under optimal conditions. And working with smaller files just about compensates for the slightly greater computing load. (These aren’t Sony’s comparisons - they’re based on what we typically find ourselves.)"

XAVC vs ProRes 422HQ - Z Systems, Inc.

"I put our Odyssey 7Q on the camera and hooked it up for 4k recording using dual-link SDI inputs. This allowed me to record XAVC and ProRes 422HQ simultaneously, just to see if there was a noticeable difference between them. Check out the video to see if you can spot the difference for yourself. If you couldn’t see the difference, you are not alone. I did not see a difference when I was putting the footage together or in the final product. On top of not being able to see a difference, I was able to work with the XAVC footage natively in Final Cut Pro X just as easily as I did with the ProRes so there is no reason, edit wise, to shoot the ProRes. Add to that the stark difference in file sizes (the ProRes file was 2.7x larger), many productions could save quite a bit on camera media and storage by shooting XAVC."

Do a Google search and you'll find even more people saying the same thing.

Cary Knoop July 29th, 2018 08:52 AM

XAVC is simply H.264 wrapped in MXF OP-1a.

With comparable bit rates H.264 all-intra is roughly the same quality as ProRes, while H.264 long GOP needs roughly half the bitrate compared to all-intra for the same quality.

There is no magic, only marketing!

David Peterson July 30th, 2018 04:10 AM

A History of the Kinefinity company (google translate is your friend!):

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/kfL34lPKCA4ZO0f9VbBfWw

Another article which is in English though, worth a read:

Kinefinity ? Past, Present, Future | KineCommunity

Troy Moss July 30th, 2018 05:01 PM

Re: Kinefinity MAVO

Cary Knoop July 30th, 2018 05:33 PM

Unfortunately, the samples above have some crushed blacks.

Gary Huff July 31st, 2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945632)
With comparable bit rates H.264 all-intra is roughly the same quality as ProRes

With comparable bit-rates, H.264 all Intra is better quality than ProRes because ProRes is based on MotionJPEG and H.264 is based on MPEG-4. MotionJPEG has been around since the mid-90s. It's very CPU efficient because the encoding isn't intense.

Cary Knoop July 31st, 2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1945687)
With comparable bit-rates, H.264 all Intra is better quality than ProRes because ProRes is based on MotionJPEG and H.264 is based on MPEG-4. MotionJPEG has been around since the mid-90s. It's very CPU efficient because the encoding isn't intense.

It is somewhat better, but not dramatically.
And certainly not equal to ProRes with only half the bitrate as was suggested above.

Gary Huff July 31st, 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945690)
It is somewhat better, but not dramatically. And certainly not equal to ProRes with only half the bitrate as was suggested above.

It would be, because MPEG-4 has higher quality encoding than MotionJPEG. What you are arguing is nonsensical.

Cary Knoop July 31st, 2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1945693)
It would be, because MPEG-4 has higher quality encoding than MotionJPEG. What you are arguing is nonsensical.

So what are you claiming Gary that H.264 all-intra is twice as efficient as ProRes or only XAVC-I?

Gary Huff July 31st, 2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945694)
So what are you claiming Gary that H.264 all-intra is twice as efficient as ProRes or only XAVC-I?

At least twice. It's three generations ahead of MotionJPEG, what about that do you not understand?

Doug Jensen July 31st, 2018 06:58 PM

Yes, at least twice as efficient. As I said, ProRes is (was) a nice codec but not very efficient and was never intended for acquisition in the first place.

Cliff Totten July 31st, 2018 08:13 PM

ProRes is a great quality CODEC today but let's all agree that it's now a dinosaur. Yes, it will STILL give you fantastic quality and HQ is very durable in post against stretching and bending and lifting. However, it was created in a time when computers were MUCH slower than they are today. It uses relatively simple DCT calculatuons that literally go back to the early days of .jpg compression.

H.264 is FAR more advanced, effecient and just plain "smarter". Not just long GOP and the estimation tools and entropy calculations but in all I frame too!

Look at the Lumix GH5's 10bit 400mbp/s h.264 all I frame CODEC. If you have ever shot 10bit V-Log with it, you will see that its pretty damn durable. Just as tough as ProRes but lighter weight.

I like both CODECS but I see it like this:

H.264 All I frame = Tough durability, light weight but need more CPU playback hoursepower.

ProRes HQ = Tough durability, heavy on size but easy playback on low horse power CPU computers. (Good if you have a five 4k camera multi-cam editing job on fat RAID drives)

I like them both but for different reasons.

CT

Troy Moss July 31st, 2018 11:44 PM

BACK TO Kinefinity Terra 4K!

Thanks for all the Codec discussions. Now, back to the Terra 4K (watch this short action film)

Filmed with Kinefinity Terra 4K

Only one film light used for 3 shots (Aputute f7)