DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Bad news for Hollywood, not so bad for indie makers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/73937-bad-news-hollywood-not-so-bad-indie-makers.html)

Richard Alvarez August 27th, 2006 07:49 AM

Had a long talk with my brother the other day. He works for A large TelecommunicaTions industry. We talked about their new "Internet Television Protocol" that they've already developed. Yeah, HD TV on demand to your home television... OVER PHONE LINES.

It's comming. No question.

Microsoft is working to develop a 'box' to connect with... so you don't have to tie your computer up. But basically, it's a computer reciever that takes the content and sends it to your television.

The cable companies are fighting this really really hard. The reason is this. IF you can turn on your set, look at a 'tv guide' listing for content you want... pick it out and see it INSTANTLY... who is going to watch all the junk channels you are forced to buy? The cable companies DEPEND on you flipping up and down the channells, looking for something... essentially window shopping. On the off chance that you will stop and watch some cooking/travel/lifestyle/religious programming that you wouldn't normally seek out. If/When the 'surfing' element is removed, and it really is pick and choose ON DEMAND... then cable as we know it will cease to exist.

The technology IS here... the political legislation/regulation/jockeying is whats holding it up.

When you think about it... this development is bad news for INDIES... not Hollywood. Most of your average population will choose a known commodity (Name star/director/film) over an unkown... just a fact.

Simon Wyndham August 27th, 2006 08:02 AM

Oh, there is no doubt that we will get television via the net at some point. With that sort of smart choice selection it will make things a lot easier for sure.

The problem I have is that some industry types are liking to predict the end of having a big square box in your living room and instead seem to think that people will prefer to watch their movies on their PC or on a 1" mobile telephone screen. That just aint going to happen.

Mobile video will take off in a huge way at some point, but it will be in addition to existing entertainment, not instead of it.

Same goes for internet delivered television. It may change the way things are delivered, but it will not stop us sitting in front of a big box watching TV just like before. We'll just have more choice.

But even still, there will still be a lot of rubbish out there making it difficult for indies to get a foot hold.

Have you ever tried to make a video popular on Youtube? Like you say, people will seek out what and who they know. indie stuff will have to be very good indeed to get noticed. But I suppose at least a ready made distribution medium will be there for us.

Richard Alvarez August 27th, 2006 08:17 AM

Exactly my point. The delivery will be to the set in your living room. The advantage will be content ON DEMAND without having to surf through other channels, or kill time watching something else untill your movie comes on. As I said, the cable companies are fighting this tooth and nail.

And yes, I don't see this as a particularly great development for indies. "The Cream Will Rise to the Top" has always been AN element of success... not THE element mind you. Connections, knowing the right people, inside deals, all of these are also important in getting your product out there and successfull.

Sure, assume for a moment that somehwere in this VAST guide to content, your short film is listed. Perhaps its under the subheading of 'indy films under thirty minutes' or such. People who are interested in seeing it, WILL be able to see it. And they'll see it on the television set, while sitting on their comfortable couches. But you're still 'preaching to the choir'. We filmmakers are often the main buyers of other indy films...'art flicks' and such. Again, it will depend on how the stuff is marketed. Maybe the guide will allow for searches like 'google'. Then you could scan for particular content such as "Videos with fart jokes and beer guzzling" or "Videos with D and D as a theme"., "Stupid stunts".. that should take up thirty percent of the indy short content.

Now, as a distribution model, how will an indy filmmaker MAKE MONEY of his content. That's the real question.

Jarrod Whaley August 27th, 2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Now, as a distribution model, how will an indy filmmaker MAKE MONEY of his content. That's the real question.

Answer: for the most part, he or she won't. Instead, he or she will make money shooting weddings, corporate videos, commercials, etc.

Just like now.

Peter Ferling August 27th, 2006 11:29 AM

Bah! Once these money grubbers learn that the internet is the new watering hole, they'll take over and it'll be the same s***, going down a different pipe.

Jeff Phelps August 28th, 2006 01:06 AM

The same things were said about music over the net. Many thought small bands would never profit when compared to the big guys. And they don't on that level. But they do profit. I think that's the future for a lot of video production. It will be made by small outfits making a small buy significant profit. We may not see the Beatles on the net but we could easily surpass some of the crap on the radio these days.

BTW I don't think tv over the net will kill Hollywood or the local DVD store. It will be another alternative for people looking for niche programming. And there are people looking for those travelling / religious programs. I know I watch lots of stuff that is out of the mainstream.

Jeff Phelps August 29th, 2006 11:35 AM

Talk about karma. Universal is offering free music downloads now! The site is advertiser supported.

Thar's gold in them thar hills! If they can make money giving away music then people can make money with video. People already do this with wedding videos etc.. I can see a whole new branch of video business models coming.

Richard Alvarez August 29th, 2006 06:51 PM

Free music downloads... advertiser supported....

Yeah, I remember "Album night" on the local FM station in the sixties and early seventies. They tell you in advance, what album they are going to play in its entirety, and you cue up the old cassette or reel to reel. OF course, you had to hear interminable ammounts of advertising to get to it.

So yeah, it's an old tried and true marketing technique. Just loading it onto your computer instead of your tapedeck... coming to you 'free' the same way radio does...

"There is nothing new, except what has been forgotten."