Apple TV is finally shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Wrangler

Apple TV is finally shipping

http://gadgets.engadget.com/2007/03/...-now-shipping/

Quote:
eMails are arriving in the inboxes of the faithful detailing shipments and tracking numbers.

Update: Apple's website updated to show new orders shipping in 3 - 5 business days.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

Here's a review from today's Wall Street Journal:

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20070321.html

Quote:
in our tests, it worked great, and we can easily recommend it for people who are yearning for a simple way to show on their big TVs all that stuff trapped on their computers. We tried it with various combinations of Windows and Mac computers, with movies, photos, TV shows, video clips and music. And we didn't even use the fastest wireless network it can handle. It performed flawlessly.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps)
iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels or 640 by 480 pixels
MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps)

These updated specs on the Apple Website suggest that HD movies from the Apple Store will be coming soon (why else mention it).
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Just picked up the AppleTV today and I have to say, it is awesome! Come on Apple, bring us those HD movies.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #5
New Boot

my semi reply, repost from another thread, BUT...

http://stevenbothe.com/up/hv20-raw-24df-AppleTV.mov

From the hv20, single pass 720p via compressor. The quicktime export preset SUCKS, so used compressor, single pass to save time.

Test on apple tv, I REALLY AM IMPRESSED.

5Mbit/sec, 90 minute indie release would be around 3.5GByte.
Competitive bandwidth pricing, indies can now distribute almost hi-def, CHEAPER than pressing a freaking DVD!!!!

35c cost per download to distribute a 90 minute movie at h.264 5Mbit/sec 720p

I AM FREAKING OUT, THIS IS AWSOME!!!
Etienne Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Major Player

The Apple TV could be revolutionary and maybe eliminate the need for HD-DVD burners and players for anyone with a computer. But, correct me if I'm wrong. It has a 40GB drive with only 33GB useable. For someone who produces a 90 minute HD movie, will it fit? Also, a review I saw said that the Apple TV will only stream and not sync (load) non-ITunes movies. Couldn't that result in buffering and portability problems?

Not an expert but it seems that if this technology works, it could kill the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Personally, I hate the idea of all my purchased media being digital in a file form. I prefer something tangible on a disc as opposed to an HD, for the same reason even if I rip a DVD from Blockbuster, I still want to buy the DVD myself.

- Kyle
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Trustee

Whoa... calm down here, this is NOT as exciting as it seems. This is the first step in you buying something that you do not own. If I "buy" a movie, I want to be able to take it in my car, loan it to a friend, etc. I also dont want something i BUY to sit on spinning platters. Let's imagine you have a huge DVD collection, I have about 750 or so. Unless my house burns, I have those, they are loanable, resellable, etc. Now, lets pretend they are on a HDD dies. They are not loanable, I cannot resell them and if that HDD, I lose $10,000 worth of movies I have already paid for.

Apple TV is a great way for the public to stream off their computer easy (this is not new tech, devices have been around for YEARS, I use a Buffalo unit to do the same thing, even streams from iTunes) but it should not be a distribution avenue....maybe for free TV but no way for movies... it is DIVX players part 2.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Wrangler

I think we're just going to have to wait and see what public reaction is. I also have a lot of DVD's (not 750 though!), and like having the physical media. But I usually buy them on sale in the $5 - $10 range, so for downloads to be attractive to me they need to get much cheaper.

It seems to me that once you have an AppleTV, all the building blocks are in place for Apple essential be one of your cable TV providers. And the fascinating thing is, they can do it using bandwidth on the expensive infrastructure which Verizon, Comcast and others have already built.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian View Post
The Apple TV could be revolutionary and maybe eliminate the need for HD-DVD burners and players for anyone with a computer. But, correct me if I'm wrong. It has a 40GB drive with only 33GB useable. For someone who produces a 90 minute HD movie, will it fit? Also, a review I saw said that the Apple TV will only stream and not sync (load) non-ITunes movies. Couldn't that result in buffering and portability problems?

Not an expert but it seems that if this technology works, it could kill the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war.
Just got my AppleTV the other day.... Haven't had much of chance to really play with it though, maybe tomorrow. So far there are some good things about it and some bad. The biggest shortcoming was the choice of 720p as the target format, IMO. Other than that, it's a nice little unit.

Asof for the 40GB HD, that makes sense. Helps keep the price down and should be plenty for most early adopters. It's designed to stream media from other computers or NAS and not be the sole storage solution for your media downloads. Connect a 1TB NAS to your LAN and you're rockin'. <illegal suggestion> Rip all your DVDs sans menus and whatnot and have your movie collection all conveniently at your fingertips for a lot less than any other solution out there like Kaleidescape.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #11
Major Player

I'll jump in with my $.02 since I got my Apple TV on Thursday and lived with it a few days. I've viewed HD trailers, purchases/watched a show & done several tests in converting HD and SD clips to the h.264 AppleTV setting.

In my opinion, this device rocks for content creators. I am a first adopter, but have waited and waited...and waited...for this silly format war to die with HD DVD's and Blueray. I am not going to invest in that yet. That said, Apple has put out a very easy way to show HD content.

I just did a 3-4 minute file that was 3 gigs and converted in QT to the AppleTV setting. It came out 150 megs. That's small...and it looks great...really great on my 42" Sony HDTV. I am buying another one soon so I can put all my company HD demo clips on it for playback for a client. Perfect use of it.

I was also thinking, how easy is it to send these to a tradeshow with a 10 hour HD file on there. Hopefully Apple will put a "loop" function in later so you won't need to do a 10 hour file!

The ONLY downside to the Apple TV is that you need to use your computer. Once they change it (and I think they will) to where you can browse content directly from the store...and then immediately purchase it, it will change the tv world. Not now, though, except for the serious geeks. :-)
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #12
Major Player

One other idea I had and thought I'd share:

We're soon to be finishing an all HD show by a regional funk and soul band. We will deliver an SD DVD, but with the h.264 file size so small, I think I'll dump that on the DVD, too, if there is room. At least a "bonus" that is on the DVD that they can just add to their iTunes and move to their Apple TV.

Pretty cool...

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #13
Major Player

So tell me... what is the advantage of this box over just running from the A/V out on my laptop? I don't think I know enough about what this has to offer.
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #14
Wrangler

Is the A/V out on your laptop high definition? S-video is more common, unless you're talking about a DVI port for a second monitor.

But really the idea is that this is dedicated device with user-friendly software designed for ordinary consumers, and it automatically syncs with your iTunes library on a host machine. More info here: http://www.apple.com/appletv/
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Wrangler

It didn't take long for the hackers to start in on the AppleTV: http://www.appletvhacks.net/

Quote:
Apple TV OS can now run on a Macbook! AppleTVHacks.net was able to patch to the Apple TV Finder.app, and now has an operating Apple TV. You can use your remote as normal, it shows up in iTunes on other computers.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News