DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Apple Releases 8-Core MAC PRO! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/90616-apple-releases-8-core-mac-pro.html)

Steve Benner April 4th, 2007 07:11 AM

Apple Releases 8-Core MAC PRO!

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Awesome news.

Eric Hansen April 4th, 2007 07:23 AM

Guess I'll be waiting a little bit more for the price to come down, dang. I wish they would show the performace results in Final Cut, but looking at the other results I can only imagine how much faster it will work in there, amazing...

Eric

Hse Kha April 4th, 2007 08:49 AM

Shame its so much more money - $1500.

I wished they also offered a slower (and so cheaper) version running at 2.66GHz and at like $500-800 more instead of $1500.

Gary McClurg April 4th, 2007 08:55 AM

Wow... mine came close to $9,300 bucks...

Of course that was with 8 gig of memory... plus three extra 750 gigs of hard drive...

Should have done it just with only the 3.0... get the memory and hard drives some where else...

So that would bring it down to... $4k...

Better start saving my pennies...

oops I forgot the better graphics card... make that $5,500...

And just think in two more years I can buy the newest MAC again.. isn't the ditigal age wonderful... :)

Lisa Shofner April 4th, 2007 09:28 AM

That's Hot

I could definitely see a permanent move to Mac with this machine. I just need to open up a "starving student needs Mac" PayPal fund to take donations.

But if that's finally released from Apple...I wonder what Dell will be able to do with PCs (at 1/3 the cost no doubt).

Kevin Shaw April 4th, 2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner (Post 653725)
But if that's finally released from Apple...I wonder what Dell will be able to do with PCs (at 1/3 the cost no doubt).

I tend to be skeptical of what Apple does, but their pricing on multi-core workstations has been reasonable compared to everyone including Dell. The difference is that Apple may not offer a "stripped down" version at a lower cost, which in the case of 8-core systems probably makes sense given the target market.

Kalunga Lima April 4th, 2007 10:29 AM

The new MacPros are still running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

Can anyone tell me if a new Quad Core MacPro can be upgraded to 8 Core capability at a later date?

Jack Zhang April 4th, 2007 04:56 PM

Great for PS3 devs! TRUE real-time debugging for in-development PS3 games is here!

Kyle Prohaska April 4th, 2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima (Post 653763)
The new MacPros are still running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

Can anyone tell me if a new Quad Core MacPro can be upgraded to 8 Core capability at a later date?

Before these were released, I saw reports and tests of somebody putting Clovertown Quad Core CPU's into an original MacPro and it worked just fine...with kick ass results to boot. So im sure its possible, head over to macrumors.

In my opinion, owning a MacPro myself, idk why you would even worry about such a thing. An original MacPro like mine, or the new Quads would probably be fast enough for you for many many years.

- Kyle

Salah Baker April 4th, 2007 05:25 PM

Cool Box but,
I think the time it took for Apple go from 4 to 8 core box compared to the Moore’s law curve, proves they need to rethink the hardware schedule they used to go by.

Not a Hater

Jeffrey Butler April 4th, 2007 05:40 PM

WooHooo! Finally.

I'm jazzed. As long as the apps can keep up, the quad cores will pay for themselves. If you're worried about 1500, then you probably won't gain much from the time savings they would offer.

I'm sittin' just over 8600, but with the Quad cores, and Quad 750's (one system drive + clone backup and one project drive + clone backup). I don't have monitors in there, but I do have 8GB of ram...I figure the 2x23's I have now on my G5 will do. I'll relegate the current one to another smaller monitor...

Harrison Murchison April 4th, 2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salah Baker (Post 653993)
Cool Box but,
I think the time it took for Apple go from 4 to 8 core box compared to the Moore’s law curve, proves they need to rethink the hardware schedule they used to go by.

Not a Hater

Apple jumped to SMP Quad Core chips the minute 3Ghz CPU were available. I don't think they wanted to deliver a 2.66Ghz Octo core system when their Quad core system topped out at 3Ghz Woodcrests.

These are probably it until late this year when the 45nm Penryn CPU come online with the Stoakley chipset (optimised for Quads, PCI Express 2.0 44-lane and more memory slots)

Salah Baker April 4th, 2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison Murchison (Post 654001)
Apple jumped to SMP Quad Core chips the minute 3Ghz CPU were available. I don't think they wanted to deliver a 2.66Ghz Octo core system when their Quad core system topped out at 3Ghz Woodcrests.

These are probably it until late this year when the 45nm Penryn CPU come online with the Stoakley chipset (optimised for Quads, PCI Express 2.0 44-lane and more memory slots)

But in the meantime why not just tell Apple users the PC they are on can be upgraded ,yes its a PC, tie and all, more expensive clothes ...officially..with support

Marco Wagner April 4th, 2007 06:07 PM

Then that 3% market share would plumet to 1.5%.

Harrison Murchison April 5th, 2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salah Baker (Post 654011)
But in the meantime why not just tell Apple users the PC they are on can be upgraded ,yes its a PC, tie and all, more expensive clothes ...officially..with support

Wouldn't make a difference. They'd still have to yank the single or dual Woodcrest chips and buy two Clovertown procs. That'd be expensive either way. They can upgrade their Woodcrests to faster procs but it'll likely take some Penryn procs before you see speeds above 3Ghz.