DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   menu mystery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/49905-menu-mystery.html)

Robert Bobson August 24th, 2005 08:01 AM

menu mystery

I've created several DVDs.

While viewing on a DVD player, when I press the "menu" key on my remote, it takes me back to the main menu, no matter where on the DVD I am. (for instance, if I've navagated down through several menus to a video)

But I've noticed that on comercial DVDs, when I press "menu", it only takes me back to the previous menu. pressing "menu" again takes me back to the next previous menu until I finally arrive at the main menu.

Is this a function of my DVD creation software? (DVDit!) Do more advanced programs allow you to choose what happens when the "menu" key if pressed?

Anyone know of a good online resourse for learning about this?

thanks.

Devin Eskew August 24th, 2005 09:12 AM

Normally you can set the "end" action, or remote action by right clicking on the asset or media file. This holds true in Studio Pro and DVD A3. Not sure how it will run on DVDIT.

Robert Bobson August 24th, 2005 11:07 AM

DVDit only has "end action" available to set. You have the option of "end action" or "remote action"???

That's probably the thing. thanks.

Devin Eskew August 24th, 2005 12:45 PM

In the properties box there is a section of remote buttons that you can set, what they are allowed to press and what it does in DVD-A3. Do you see anything like that?

Robert Bobson August 26th, 2005 06:18 AM

I don't seem to have a properties box in DVDit! - just "end action", and then the choices are only LOOP, STILL, or any of the menus or titles.

and I did choose the previous menu as the "end action", but the menu button on my remote still sends it back to the main menu.

Devin Eskew August 26th, 2005 08:02 AM

Is there a "go to" option or something like that? From what I've gathered reading older posts DVDIT just does not have the functionality of Encore or DVD-A3. I'll look into it a bit more, but it may be a limitation of the software.

Christopher Lefchik August 28th, 2005 08:06 PM

It's definitely a limitation of the software, as Adobe Encore DVD allows me to decide what menu the DVD player's "Menu" and "Top Menu" buttons link to, on a per timeline basis.

UPDATE: Okay, it helps if I actually look at the manual before replying. ;-) According to the Encore DVD guide, the Title button (what I referred to as the Top Menu button) is a DVD-wide setting that returns you to the main menu from any point on the DVD. You can determine what menu the Title button links to. The Menu button, on the other hand, is as I said a per-timeline setting, and would generally be linked to the last menu the the viewer accessed.

Probably any mid-range DVD authoring software would let you set these parameters.