DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Distribution Center (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/)
-   -   PPV or On Demand instead of DVD for dance school? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/distribution-center/530627-ppv-demand-instead-dvd-dance-school.html)

Darryn Carroll December 12th, 2015 08:43 PM

PPV or On Demand instead of DVD for dance school?

Hey all, this ones not my idea but trying to help.I have filmed 4 nutcracker shows for a local studio. They dont want to distribute DVD's this time, they were hoping to do some type of PPv or On Demand. Anyone done any of this? I do have Vimeo Pro but have yet to try and On Demand type.

Paul R Johnson December 13th, 2015 06:43 AM

Re: PPV or On Demand instead of DVD for dance school?

I got asked to put a song/dance tribute show up on youtube. The lady who had run the school for years had died and loads of people did stuff from old shows. Got a note from Youtube yesterday:
Quote:

CONTENT CLAIMANT POLICY
Les contes d'Hoffmann (The Tales of Hoffmann), Act II: Entr'acte: Belle nuit, o nuit d'amour, "Barcarolle" (arr. P. Rhodes for flute and piano) - Paul Rhodes
Sound recording
1:52:26 - 1:55:17 play match
NaxosofAmerica
Monetised by copyright owner
Remove song
File a dispute
Live And Let Die - Wings
Sound recording
23:39 - 26:38 play match
UMG
Remove song
File a dispute
Chinese Dance - UPPM - Focus Music - FCD - Focus Music
Sound recording
0:00 - 0:31 play match
WMG
AdRev for a 3rd Party
IODA
Blocked in some countries
Remove song
File a dispute
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Sound recording
2:04:34 - 2:06:04 play match
Believe Music
UMG
Remove song
File a dispute
'S Wonderful - Rod Stewart featuring Dave Grusin
Sound recording
12:28 - 15:37 play match
SME
Remove song
File a dispute
Ballin the Jack (Version 3) - Georgia Gibbs
Sound recording
1:21:38 - 1:22:54 play match
INgrooves
Remove song
File a dispute
Der Schlittschuhläufer - Werner Tauber Orchester
Sound recording
6:05 - 9:11 play match
Believe Music
Remove song
File a dispute
We Are Growing - Gold Star Ballroom Orchestra
Sound recording
1:35:14 - 1:37:03 play match
INgrooves
Remove song
File a dispute
Fanfare For The Common Man - Emerson Lake & Palmer
Sound recording
2:20:19 - 2:22:44 play match
Music Video Distributors
Razor & Tie
SME
Blocked in some countries
Remove song
File a dispute
Medley: Give Me That Old Soft Shoe / Back in the Old Routine - Dennis Hayward's Organisation
Sound recording
1:49:15 - 1:52:02 play match
IODA
Remove song
File a dispute
Candyman - Christina Aguilera
Sound recording
29:50 - 32:27 play match
SME
Remove song
File a dispute
Their matching software must be pretty good now, as many of those have audience clapping over the top and in a few cases, a vocalist on top. Some also rather obscure too.....

Jeremiah Rickert December 20th, 2019 03:56 PM

Yeah, this is the issue with a lot of these school projects. I do them all the time, and the YouTube algorithms even detect song arrangements of public domain songs. It's nuts.

Cary Knoop December 20th, 2019 06:17 PM

I think it is great, on the one hand, the rights holders get notified and can exercise their policy (takedown, block, monetize) and uploaders can publish if monetized (with the price of having ads). But note that there are a few rights holders who go to takedown right away.

Sometimes there are problems though, it took me 6 weeks to get a world-wide block, turning into a dispute, turning into a takedown warning, turning into an actual takedown and a counter-notice to get this piece on YouTube (the movie is out of copyright) finally free:

Content ID kept insisting it was from a Benny Goodman documentary. I am sure it is included in that documentary, but the scene was from an original movie made in 1944, the rights owner failed to renew copyright which was required (only material after 1964 no longer requires renewal).

Paul R Johnson December 21st, 2019 03:00 AM

Ironically - I decided to put some of my audio for video work out there, as I never sell the audio, just grant a licence to use it, and many of these are for sales products and they run out of sales steam, so never get renewed. Youtube is now finding examples of people who have somehow found my music and are using it in videos - and while it's a pay pennies experience, Google's scanning is tracking down my stuff - so I guess it's working for me now, rather than against me, so I've sort of changed my opinion a bit. Copyright is dual edged. A pain when it works against you but kind of good when it protects your works?

Andrew Smith December 21st, 2019 04:29 AM

YouTube has also gotta be inadvertently coming in handy for when you can't remember who or what a particular song was. Just upload it and the copyright breach software will have the result to you in a jiffy.

Andrew

Paul R Johnson December 21st, 2019 04:35 AM

Shazzam has to be the best for that - oddly, when I look at the on-line sales and streams of my music, Shazzam searches now appear there too - so when somebody uses it to track down a piece of music, the search is recorded.

Even stranger, sometimes you get copyright claims against yourself when youtube detects your protected music in your own videos. Nothing happens but the claim is logged.