DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   My documentary shot on V1 is airing tonight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/119333-my-documentary-shot-v1-airing-tonight.html)

Svein Rune Skilnand April 14th, 2008 12:29 AM

My documentary shot on V1 is airing tonight

Tonight my documentary called "The last shepherd" will be airing on the Norwegian Broadcast Company, The NRK, in prime time.

It was shot mainly with my Sony V1, with a few shots on the DVX100 and HVX200. It is about a sheep shepherd who probably will be the last in an unbroken chain since the 1830s. He lives in the mountains all summer taking care and looking after more than 5000 sheep who are run to the mountains.

I am quite proud of this as I have no formal training or education. Just a lot of hard work.

If anybody is interested you can see a short trailer here

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/distrikt/...nd/verdi/49789 on their website.

Though it is in norwegian I hope you understand the visuals.

Svein Rune

Leslie Wand April 14th, 2008 01:53 AM

tried to see it but took for ever. try putting it on revver or vimeo.

leslie

Colin McDonald April 14th, 2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 859768)

leslie

Odd, it loaded quickly enough for me when the link settled.

Svein, it looks very well shot - pity we can't see the whole thing. The colour at the beginning is unusual - is that because of the time of year?

I like the "real" soundtrack and commentary in the trailer and commend you for subtle and appropriate use of music, and knowing when not to use it. You let the mountains speak for themselves and it adds considerably to the effectiveness of your work.

And the language is not a problem - I understood that stranded sheep perfectly.

Leslie Wand April 14th, 2008 06:14 AM

i probably didn't wait long enough - but then again, i have no patience at the best of times.

same as pages loaded with flash. i expect instant results from the net, and am always surprised when i don't get them ;-)

leslie

Max Volki April 14th, 2008 04:45 PM

Quite a change

I usally go to Norway with my fishing rods to catch fish not sheep (haha)

volki

D.J. Ammons April 15th, 2008 12:07 PM

Svein,

Excellent! Even with the language barrier I was pulled into the subject matter by the majestic scenary and beautiful videography of the herder doing his job.

I especially liked the long pull from a tight shot of the herder revealing the steep and rocky hillside he was on and the danger of his task.

Did you use the stock lens or an adapter? What kind of tripod did you use?

Svein Rune Skilnand April 15th, 2008 01:30 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

Leslie. I`m afraid there is nothing I can do about the donwload time. You are on the offical website of The Norwegian Brodcasting Company. I am not to much into websites you see.

Colin. Thank you so much for those kind words. Glad you had no problem with the language. The comments are read by The NRK. The colours are very special at that time of year and I think I oversaturated the look a bit. I haven`t done the colourcorrection though.

Max. Funny joke. But the rod is actually very effective for the herder. By the way, you can catch a lot of mountain trout here.

DJ. Thank you. I am glad you liked it. I did use the stock lens only. The V1 was sitting on a Manfrotto tripod M525MVB with the M519 head. ( is it called the head?)

Svein Rune

Leslie Wand April 15th, 2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand (Post 861000)
Leslie. I`m afraid there is nothing I can do about the donwload time. You are on the offical website of The Norwegian Brodcasting Company. I am not to much into websites you see.
Svein Rune

appreciate that. i would suggest you get a copy or simply download the trailer and then put it on vimeo or revver. if for no other reason than it will be there well after the program airs, and could be a useful 'promo' for your own purposes....

good luck

leslie

Max Volki April 16th, 2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand (Post 861000)
By the way, you can catch a lot of mountain trout here.
Svein Rune

Svein,

Where do you live in Norway? Where is Fidjeland ?
As I plan to come up to Norway at End of May, could you direct me to such mountain streams?
All my earlier visits to your country were for salmon fishing, but May / June seem a bit early for this. So fly-fish for Norwegian-trout would be a new experience

As this is a bit OT, please use my e-mail address: volki9(at)bluewin.ch

thanks

volki

PS. No problem with download, it only took seconds

Australia is an other problem. Just 2 weeks ago, I came home from a visit to Australia and New Zealand. If download takes the same time as flying there………………

Stephen Armour April 22nd, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 859768)

leslie

Took forever and never came up in Brazil...better on Vimeo...link's gone I guess.