DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Documentary Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/)
-   -   How about a documentary video contest? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/documentary-techniques/130390-how-about-documentary-video-contest.html)

Philip Gioja September 11th, 2008 11:44 AM

How about a documentary video contest?

I really like the idea of online video contests, but I tend to shoot more documentary work than narrative or wildlife - anyone interested in doing a documentary video contest?

Brian Standing September 11th, 2008 02:46 PM

I'm game. Can people submit older works, or only new ones? Any themes? Prizes?

Richard Gooderick September 13th, 2008 03:58 PM

If there is going to be one can it be short and simple please eg like a minute in length and something you can film in a day without going to the top of a mountain or anything like that.
Most of us have to earn a living.

Philip Gioja September 15th, 2008 11:01 AM

I like the way Dylan runs the narrative contest - release a theme at the beginning of the contest, keep it short form, have a time limit, and make it for the contest (no old films). I'd say keep it between 1-5 minutes or so. I could see extending the time limit - like shoot over the course of a month or something so you could do compressed time docs if you want.

I'm pretty interested in this - I haven't tried to run anything like this before, but I'd be willing to help facilitate it if there's enough interest.

Paul Mailath September 15th, 2008 06:20 PM

I'm certainly interested in participating - I'm not concerned about prizes, it just a great tool to build my skill level in a particular area.

Dutch Simpson September 15th, 2008 09:31 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I'm in.

Philip Gioja September 16th, 2008 03:10 PM

I emailed Chris Hurd to see what he thinks about the idea.

I've been trying to come up with some creative prize ideas but not having much success there, so if anyone has any good ideas for that let me know.

I have some good theme ideas already :-)

Richard Gooderick September 16th, 2008 03:16 PM

How about if you talk to Vimeo and see if they will guarantee to put it on their HD channel.
Although if Chris's plans for DV Info video streaming are going to happen he may have other ideas about that.

Chris Hurd September 16th, 2008 05:13 PM

Yeah folks, you can interpret this as either good news or bad news (hopefully good news), but I'd have to insist on hosting the contest video right here on DV Info Net. I'm not interested in sending people from DV Info Net away to Vimeo or wherever... I'd rather keep them here at home.

Richard Alvarez September 16th, 2008 07:24 PM

Chris Hurd... "Eyeball Vampire"

Here's good if it's going to happen. Can't say as I'll be able to play, I'm pretty busy... uh, shooting documentary projects. (Three in the pipeline now, with a major project in the works for next year.)

Richard Gooderick September 17th, 2008 02:14 AM

I must admit that I'm inclined to agree with Richard. There are so many contests/festivals etc out there and they are mostly a distraction from getting on with the job. Speaking personally, I am too easily distracted anyway :-)

David Gibson September 17th, 2008 05:37 AM

I'd be interested in participating. I like the idea of keeping it short, 1 - 2 mins. I've learned in the past that it makes you think really carefully about what goes into the final product. Count me in.

dave

Philip Gioja September 23rd, 2008 09:13 AM

Signup thread here for October: Documentary Contest Signup Thread - The Digital Video Information Network