DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Glidetrack - Our new best friend (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/145653-glidetrack-our-new-best-friend.html)

Danny O'Neill March 12th, 2009 05:11 AM

Glidetrack - Our new best friend

We finally put up our latest highlights which feature quite a bit of Glidetrack footage. Thanks to Alistair for this, even over Christmas it arrived in record time. Some of the early in the day shots are a little stuttery but by the evening it smoothed out as we got better and the track eased up (should have done more sliding before we went out).

The glidetrack really adds a whole new dimension to the shots. Static shots now have a purpose and can stay on screen for longer before the viewer looses intrest. I repeated a few similar shots i.e perfume then again but closer as they just had such a visual impact to the shot. Might re-do with a little less repetition, but to demonstrate the glidetrack I think this did the job.

Edited in 2.35:1 to give it some added punch. Used it once before a few months back and really like the look it gives.

Anyway, check out our blog for the clip, its Kate and Marcs highlights. dont forget to click the HD link/button to get the crispy bigger version.

www.mintyslippers.com/blog

Enjoy!

Phillip Barnett March 12th, 2009 05:18 AM

Do you have a link to the video?

Danny O'Neill March 12th, 2009 05:28 AM

Just take a look at our blog Wedding Video and Wedding DVD in High Definition from Mintyslippers where you can then click to watch in HD on vimeo

Monday Isa March 12th, 2009 07:02 AM

Hey Danny,
First off great look to the video. What cam are you shooting with? I want to say canon but I maybe dead wrong. The Glidetrack shots looked great. Very nice! I'm considering one and your video is definitely making that decision closer. There were two things in the highlight I think you could have done differently but the job is done. The glide shot of the limo, was good but from the steps I would have glided straight to the right and circled the limo instead of going left than right. It was a weird movement if you know what I mean. Lastly seeing the attire through the whole piece was a little bit weird because of the repetitiveness but it's fine. Thanks for sharing the video. It is definitely one to check out to see glidetrack shots.

Did you have a tripod head on the track? Which one did you use? Thanks Danny

Monday

Danny O'Neill March 12th, 2009 07:13 AM

Thanks for the comments Monday, I actually plan on uploading another one this weekend with a little less repitition. I left it in there to showcase the glidetrack mainly.

I did have a shot of me circling the limo but damn shiny chrome meant you could see me in the reflections. DOH!

Cameras are both Sony FX1's. Track was mounted on 2x Velbon DV7000's for sturdyness. Occasionally on the floor.

Carl Wilky March 12th, 2009 11:09 AM

Tell me you reversed the clip at 4:15! That was a well executed reveal. It looks really cool and if you didn't reverse it, I'm quite impressed that you didn't fall going down the stairs.

Nice highlight.

Side note, could you tell me what is the title of the song used on the Hindu wedding you did not too long ago? I'm presently editing my first Hindu wedding and i have no clue what song or where i can get them.

Thanks in advance.

Danny O'Neill March 12th, 2009 12:35 PM

Thanks Carl, there are actually quite a few reversed shots in there. It makes the glidecam stuff 'pop' a bit more.

Song used was Khuda Jaane and we originally saw it on the utterly fantastic vid from Pacific Pictures Neil + Jigna's Bollywood Concept "Tum Hi Ho (You Are The One)" on Vimeo well worth a watch

Yang Wen March 12th, 2009 02:38 PM

Cool stuff! Lemme ask you - do you shoot alone or with someone else? Do you see something like this being plausible for a single shooter?

Danny O'Neill March 12th, 2009 03:02 PM

absolutely, your using your normal tripod head so you still have your quick release.

Scott Shama March 12th, 2009 07:12 PM

Hey Danny,

Really liked it! Your the only other person I've seen use that awesome song...

Ambient Sky Studios ~ Creative Video Productions: 2008 WEVA Creative Excellence Awards

One criticism.. your cuts on the fill after the quiet part of the song are late.. Best way I've found to cut fills iis find the first frame of the hit and cut 1 frame ahead.. This makes it it work visually.

Cheers,
Scott

Travis Cossel March 12th, 2009 10:37 PM

Nice work. Great job with the Glidetrack. Looks like you could get some pretty slow shots without having the unit stick or stutter. I was wondering about that with the Glidetrack.

Two random comments on the video. The first glide shot ended just before you cut away from it. I would suggest cutting away before the shot ends, or let it end and hold that for a few seconds and then cut. It will flow better either way I think. Also, on the final shot I would have entered that shot later, because the first part of it just feels a bit wobbly .. so maybe start with the shot as it's aimed at the ground and moving already.

Anyways, great work. Thanks for sharing.

Danny O'Neill March 13th, 2009 01:37 AM

The cut to the beats thing is weird, in vegas it works fine. On DVD it came out on cue, on the render it was fine but everytime its put into Vimeo it was slightly off but only in certain places.

Richard Wakefield March 13th, 2009 06:18 AM

danny...totally agree...exactly the same thing happens to me too!

Steve Montoto March 14th, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1026503)
Thanks for the comments Monday, I actually plan on uploading another one this weekend with a little less repitition. I left it in there to showcase the glidetrack mainly.

I did have a shot of me circling the limo but damn shiny chrome meant you could see me in the reflections. DOH!

Cameras are both Sony FX1's. Track was mounted on 2x Velbon DV7000's for sturdyness. Occasionally on the floor.

How are the Glidetrack shots with only 1 tripod for stability or do you suggest to use 2 always?

Danny O'Neill March 14th, 2009 03:08 PM

ON the day we always used 2, we played in the house with 1 tripod and it works, but you need to counter balance the cameras weight, even with the legs spread full wide. On the mini Glidetrack I can see it being fine.

With 2 you can be a bit more lapsidasical.