DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Glide Track...or what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/238995-glide-track-what.html)

Charles Baisden July 14th, 2009 01:20 AM

Glide Track...or what?

Hey guys --

I need a glide track...or something like it. Would you call this a dolly system?

Can you recommend something for us to use? Ideally, we'd like something that mounts on our tripod.

What am I looking for?
~ Charles

Richard Wakefield July 14th, 2009 02:02 AM

what are you asking?

you basically have described a glidetrack, so why don't u just buy/google one?! :)

www.glidetrack.com

there are alternatives (i think by cinevate for example), but nothing as mobile Vs cheap Vs easy

glidetrack gets 11 out of 10 from me! i've got 2 and i never leave home without them!

Matt Barwick July 14th, 2009 02:04 AM

Hi Charles,

What you're after is commonly called a slider. There's a couple of well known ones - glidetrack and cinevates pegasus 'heavy lifter' come to mind...

There's also a dvinfo forum on them:

Dolly / Track / Cable - The Digital Video Information Network

Cheers,

Matt.

edit: beaten to the punch by Richard...

Charles Baisden July 14th, 2009 02:12 AM

Thanks Matt! Slider...that's what I was after!

kleenex = tissue
glidetrack = slider

That's all I needed to get started! :-)
~ Charles

Richard Wakefield July 14th, 2009 02:34 AM

oh i see what you were asking now, sorry charles!

Danny O'Neill July 14th, 2009 06:38 AM

I cant think of anything cheaper than the Glidetrack and if there was Im sure it wont be any where as good. Philip Bloom has given it a bit of praise in his latest piece and I love it. We have a few vids now on our site which feature the Glidetrack including the latest post.

It now comes along to every single shoot... we even took it on holiday with us (some shots of which are in our demoreel). The track is also just the right length to fit on the parcel shelf of my VW Golf and secures nicely between the headrest. What more can one ask :)

Charles Baisden July 15th, 2009 12:12 AM

Thanks Richard! I think I was a little tired when I wrote that post. The words weren't coming out in complete sentences! LOL!

It sounds like the Glidetrack is a fantastic investment. Maybe I don't really need to look any further than that!

~ Charles

Michael Ojjeh July 15th, 2009 05:51 PM

Charles, Also look into Indisliderpro, I use it and it is a very good product.

IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions - The indiSLIDERpro

Here is a link to a video that I shot in May with the Indislider.
Untitled Document

Jason LeFrense July 15th, 2009 05:59 PM

I use Cinevates Heavy Lifter because of the EX3 with the Brevis can be heavy and it works great I love it.

Charles Baisden July 15th, 2009 09:37 PM

So here's the voting so far:

a) Glide Track system (3 votes)
b) IndiSystem (1 vote)
c) Cinevate system (2 votes)

Has anyone out there used more than one of these? Any comparisons you can offer?

~ Charles

PS -- I couldn't help but notice that there is not one, but TWO IndiSystem sliders for sale in the private classifieds area. Me thinks this is a bad sign...

Matt Barwick July 15th, 2009 11:21 PM

Hi Charles,

You might want to have a look here for more traffic and/or answers:

Dolly / Track / Cable - The Digital Video Information Network

FYI I believe Glidetrack was developed & made by one of dvinfos own, Alastair Brown - he's very obliging with any questions.

Cheers,

Matt.

Chris Davis July 16th, 2009 07:54 AM

There's also the Pocket Dolly from Kessler. It looks interesting because of the addition of the crank. I've never used one, but I have one of their cranes and that's built very well. I plan on buying one if I could ever sell my Axis dolly...

Steve Zugelter July 16th, 2009 07:55 AM

I've used both the GlideTrack HD and the Pegasus Heavy Lifter. Honestly, using the GT is what convinced me to buy the Pegasus. My friend brought his GT on a shoot and I took it for a test drive and I didn't like the way it would stick in certain places of the track. You could really feel a change in the resistance as you moved the camera along the track. I know the Pegasus is twice as much as the GT, but I think there's a world of difference between the two products as well.

Shaun Conner July 16th, 2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Zugelter (Post 1172442)
I've used both the GlideTrack HD and the Pegasus Heavy Lifter. Honestly, using the GT is what convinced me to buy the Pegasus. My friend brought his GT on a shoot and I took it for a test drive and I didn't like the way it would stick in certain places of the track. You could really feel a change in the resistance as you moved the camera along the track. I know the Pegasus is twice as much as the GT, but I think there's a world of difference between the two products as well.

I agree. This is the main reason I purchased the Heavy Lifter system also. It's super smooth. One of my best purchases to date.

Charles Baisden July 16th, 2009 11:08 AM

Steve + Shaun -- awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Without having used either of these, this was my gut feeling just by looking at those two options.

Now the wrinkle is that GlideTrack just introduced a heavy duty version. I wonder if that addresses any of these concerns.

~ Charles