DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   DIY slider and image stabilization (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/470567-diy-slider-image-stabilization.html)

Sam Mendolia January 6th, 2010 09:23 PM

DIY slider and image stabilization

I have just built a slider, from an old enlarger stand post.
Works great.

I did a quick test with my Minolta 7Hi, which does SD video, and it looks good.
My question is, now I want to use my Canon video cameras, and want to know whether to use the built in image stabilizer, or turn it off.
Normally the optical stabilizer gives a floating appearance, when using it handheld. They recommend to turn it off when mounted on a tripod.

I know I will have to test it myself, and see what the result will be, but am wondering what the rest of you are doing with respect to this.

Sam

Marty Welk January 6th, 2010 10:41 PM

when a solid person is on a solid tripod, or in a stable situation, using say air tires/tracks over smooth surfaces, then it goes off.
when to far from the subjects, even on a tripod, and any bumps would be induced into the process in any way, then it is on.

With it in on the tripod doing smooth clean work, if you dont Fight it, it can still help you, in some situations.
Getting used to it not allowing you to start a move and finishing up your moves :-) can be overcome by the user.
If the user or situation is solid and stable and can handle the situation it should be off, then you dont have to fight it.

with a good smooth glide, unless you want the ends eased BY the camera, it should be off, but like you said how easy it would be to test it.

handheld it is usually on.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 7th, 2010 03:25 PM

Sam,
I always turn the OIS off on the slider...

Sam Mendolia January 7th, 2010 04:11 PM

Thank you both for the responses.

Robin, I have enjoyed your videos, and so has my wife, who is a Brit.
Next time I come visit, I will have to make my way to Wales.

I better ask some friends to help me learn Welsh.

That aside, another question arose today, on how to best mount the slider on a tripod.
The 1/4 20 screw appears a little flimsy, so are you using the larger 3/8, to mount the your unit on the tripod?
If this is the case, are you using a quick release plate that has a 3/8 screw, or mounting it without the head, and directly onto the tripod base?

I like the advantage of the extra head, for doing more with the slider, but the 1/4 20 on my Manfrotto plate can be considered the weakest link. This plate is the small rectangular plate, and not the more pro pentagon shaped plate, which I do have one of, but no head to use it on.

I guess the one real option for me with this particular plate would be to drill a large screw hole to fit a 3/8 screw, then, drill some new holes into my slider base and tap to accept 3/8 screws.
Then again, the plate is still the plate, which is still the weakest link.

Excuse me for thinking out loud, in print.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 8th, 2010 04:09 AM

Sam,
I use a Manfotto 525 tripod. I bought the Manfrotto 75mm. half ball:

Google Image Result for http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/150732.jpg

I drilled the centre hole on the slider to take the 3/8" bolt from the head and tightened it with a 3/8" nut. There are three little grub screws on the top surface of the half ball which tighten onto the underside of the slider, so the slider can't rotate at all - it's really secure. I have dedicated a Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Video Head to the slider which stays permanently on it. By using the half ball, you can easily and quickly set the level of the slider.

Sam Mendolia January 8th, 2010 10:49 AM

Robin,

Thanks for the tip.

We are going to be purchasing two Indislider units, as the guys here at work love what they saw with my DIY unit.

We were playing with a Canon 7D, and the results were amazing.
They have a wedding coming up, and have thought of all kinds of scenarios to shoot.

We will have to do as you mentioned, and drill out the centre hole, to accept a 3/8 screw.
They are using various Manfrotto tripods, but all have the half ball, that you sent the link of.

With my particular setup, I will have to drill in some new holes into the slider base, to accept the locking posts, so that it will not rotate- thanks for that tip.
My Manfrotto 190, does not have the half ball setup, but it comes with the standard 3/8 bolt, and I will have to look at the setup, and see what, if any minor modifications I can do to it.

As my unit is a DIY, I can afford to experiment.
Now I am looking to install a braking system, a different way to stop the unit at the ends of the rails, and changing the nylon glider blocks to nylon wheels- all DIY projects that should be quick, as I have the materials on hand.

Back to the lab, for more experiments, Igor.....

Brian Luce January 8th, 2010 10:52 PM

I use the 3/8" hole in the track as well. It's solid. I also have been testing it with the 7d, very nice combo, though the unit can handle a much larger camera, the 7d is just a lot easier. For a stops I tapped all the holes in the track and just screw in a 2" bolt to wherever I want it to stop. The bolt head will hit the sled and stop it.

Sam Mendolia January 8th, 2010 11:41 PM

The stops are a good idea, something we discussed as well. I guess a solid stop also comes wi.th knowing where you want to stop, before you get the camera rolling while it is recording.

Practice the start and stop positions

Marcus Martell April 8th, 2010 05:21 PM

Question:
what do u use 2 avoid the gear come off from the slider?
thx

Brian Luce April 17th, 2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1511831)
Question:
what do u use 2 avoid the gear come off from the slider?
thx

I tap the holes on each end and put a 3/8" hex bolt.

Sam Mendolia October 4th, 2010 07:40 PM

Sorry, it's been a while since I have been on.

At this point in time, the stops are brass thumb screws, and work quite well.

I was working with a film crew at work the other day, and the had a pro.r film camera, to shoot a commercial.
Lo and behold, they had a nice film dolly with slider, and they used magnetic stops, I wish I could remember what they where called.

Well I finally used my unit last week, worked quite well, and I did see a few isssues, that I have noticed on the pro units. I guess I will have to study the issues and find a way to overcome them, without having to resort to using 2 tripods on either end.

Works well at ground level, though.
I will post some photos and a sample of the clips I took soon.

Sam Mendolia October 4th, 2010 07:45 PM

I forgot to ask, what type of lube are you all using onyour units.
I was looking at silicon lube, for my tripods, and thought about using it on my unit, which uses aluminum and nylon.

any thoughts on silicon lube.

Sam Mendolia October 5th, 2010 08:53 AM

My issue at the moment is with the unit tilting when the weight shifts, as the camera passes the centre point, while mounted on the tripod.

I thought of a solution, and will have to seeif it works, but as I write this, I thought of a problem, when putting it together, so more thought required.

Any solutions from out there, would be appreciated.