DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   Can't re-find this computer controller slider (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/488102-cant-re-find-computer-controller-slider.html)

Dave Allen November 26th, 2010 11:22 PM

Can't re-find this computer controller slider

Somewhere I remember looking at this really slick slider that was connected to a small handheld programmer.

The website had lots of really good videos showing examples of time lapse clips set in some city setting as I recall. The whole thing was not cheap, and perhaps it was made in Australia if my sucky memory serves me right.

The controller was a small black box half the size of an Ipad but maybe 2" deep.

Anyone have ideas on which slider this was?

Paul Cronin December 3rd, 2010 03:24 PM

Dave I think you might mean this site. I found all the info to motorize my Dana Dolly here and posted a short blog on how to do it.

Tom has a great site.
Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion - Index page

Dave Allen December 4th, 2010 01:34 AM

That is not it. This site was the site of a time lapse slider and controller manufacturer. There was some timelapse footage shot at a corner, another near a bench on the edge of a sidewalk in a city.

I think it was like $5000 USD equivalent.

There were video demos on how to program the slider controller.

What I want to accomplish is a video shot longer than a 1 hour tape to show sunsets, etc. where I speed up maybe a 60-90 minute clip and make it 10 seconds, but the videocam slowly moves throughout the sequence.

Great resource link though, I am definitely going to check it out, thanks Paul!

Paul Cronin December 4th, 2010 07:13 AM

Dave $5K is way over priced and especially for a slider. You should be able to set up a dolly most sizes with motorized control, vari speed for under $1500.

Olof Ekbergh December 4th, 2010 07:43 AM

I make a ladder dolly system. It uses any ladder for track and has attachments for tripods on both ends, and small adjustable feet for low angle setups. It sets up very quickly, and can be set to dolly uphill or down as well as level of course.

I have a few different motor solutions for this system as well. One AC and one DC.

I build these custom at this point, they are not on my website yet.

If you are interested, contact me.

olof@westsideav.com
603-383-9283

Paul Cronin December 4th, 2010 07:45 AM

There you go Dave. Contact Olof he builds great gear.

Olof how portable are the ladder dollies? I know you can use a ladder at the site, but I mean the rest of the gear? Could work out for me on an upcoming gig. My dolly is great but it is not set up for vertical use.

Olof Ekbergh December 4th, 2010 08:23 AM

The way I usually set the ladder dolly up is with a High Hat on the dolly. This makes everything very portable.

An 8', 10', 12', 16' or 20' ladder section is pretty light, then you have the dolly with High Hat and the option of 2 tripods or whatever is on the location, like a rock and a pick nick table, they don't have to be super heavy, cheap Manfrottos or what ever will do. A lot of times 1tripod is all you need.

It is a lot more compact than a full Dolly and track system and much quicker to set up. It is also very quiet rolling, the motors are noisy, but those are really for time lapse.

By using a pulley system and a ball head on the dolly (or I can make a plate that pivots the HI Hat to any angle), you can just lean the ladder against a tree or whatever and dolly up and down at various angles.

I also have a cable cam system that I have set up to run a 100' across a small pond, following horses across a bridge from 30' in the air. And many smaller shots as well. It is a nice system for long runs over very rough or wet ground.

Paul Cronin December 4th, 2010 11:37 AM

Olof lets talk next week.

Mike Sims December 4th, 2010 01:55 PM

Was this it?
Dynamic Perception LLC, Open-Source TimeLapse Motion Control Systems

Dave Allen December 4th, 2010 09:27 PM

No, that wasn't the site or slider, but those man were some awesome time lapse examples! Good prices too, although the other slider I remember seeing with a smaller controller was a litle bit more engineered and production-finished looking.

The mystery is starting to get to me too where I saw this company's stuff.