DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Dolly / Track / Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/)
-   -   PVC Pipe Dolly Parts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-track-cable/506634-pvc-pipe-dolly-parts.html)

Silas Barker April 11th, 2012 05:24 PM

Re: PVC Pipe Dolly Parts?

Awesome!! Thank you!!
Do these wheels swivel as well? It looks like they would if there is curved track I think?

Andrew Dean April 12th, 2012 07:58 AM

Yes, they swivel. As you can see in the last photo, there are a pair of bearing washers sandwiching a bearing on both sides of the join - where the bolt head meets the assembly and where the assembly meets the dolly. So, they swivel nicely, even under load. As to how that works with curved track... i dunno. Never tried it. Seems like they'd work if the long valley wheels work, as they swivel in a similar manner.

Let us know what you find out!

cheers,
-a

Chris Harding April 12th, 2012 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Andrew

Something that really works well for me is the top portion of one of these garden gazebos.. My old one was 3 m x 3m and has a whole bunch of tubes that are 16mm diameter and the dolly still clears normal ground. The great thing about using an old gazebo top is that the sections break down into 20 bits of shorter pipe and each has a tapered end and a little spring clip..it means that you can easily carry/store your rails and it gives you around 6 m of dual track.

My dolly frame is just simple 1"square aluminium tubing across the wheel angles and then I have two threaded rods to keep it square....tripod cups in the corner keep things in place and it's super light to carry..I also have a tower (ally tube) and a crane if I need it....I found a plywood or MDF top made it a bit heavy!!

Chris

Silas Barker April 12th, 2012 10:10 PM

I think I'll get the curved track from Longview, and I decided to get Glidetrack's wheels which are almost exactly the same as BH's except they looked a little bit more sturdy and had more information available about them then BH.

Andrew Dean April 13th, 2012 04:32 AM

Cool idea, Chris Harding! some clever stuff there.

I spent today gripping for a full loaded red epic. The camera operator sneered when he saw me pull out my miller ds10 and asked if he could instead use his personal sachtler tripod with 150mm bowl. Nevermind the epic, his sticks cost more than most of my kit. ha!

Silas, I've had a 30kg red one rig plus operator and focus puller riding on my ikan dolly wheels, so i can't imagine needing anything more "sturdy," but you are exactly right about the lack of info. They are sold as addons for the ikan dolly, so there is close to zero info about them online. But, thats why i considered them a hidden treasure and was inclined to share. The rest of the ikan dolly looks flimsy to me. (never having touched one). I don't care for caster wheels and have a hard time visualizing the dolly being strong enough. However, the skate wheels are very nice.

I tried searching for Glidetrack's wheels, but didn't find anything. When you get them, please post your opinion! Cheers!

Silas Barker April 13th, 2012 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info Andrew, when I finally went to order the lack of information and the fact the BH is closed to April 15th made me look around a little bit. Glidetrack's wheels looked like they had a small plate on each wheel to attach, and they still swivel - I am no enginer but figured that would be easier to attch to the deck if it came with mounting areas. I get it Monday and I['ll let ya'll know how it goes!

Silas Barker January 26th, 2015 05:46 PM

What do you guys use for connecting your track together to make a seamless 30' + dolly track?

I would like to use 1.25" pvc pipe but I am have had a lot of trouble over the years getting it to be seamless where the pvc pipe connects to the next pipe.

Jo Ouwejan January 27th, 2015 03:53 AM

A seam will always be noticeable unless you add additional wheels under the dolly. This way there will always be a set of wheels that run over the smooth part of the pipe.