DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   New DVC website!?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/104479-new-dvc-website.html)

Daniel Ross October 15th, 2007 06:06 PM

As Stuart is from Germany, the spelling makes sense as it is slowly being phased out of the language. It remains from middle english (from old english, etc), which is similar to german, and that also is similar to a german conjugation. It may also be more common in European English in general.

Spelt is certainly old fashioned and becoming outdated, though spelled is sorta lazy/new (but soon enough will be more official than spelt if things progress as they are).

I'd bet the publishing years on the dictionaries (or at a minimum the target audiences) reflect that.

Stuart Campbell October 16th, 2007 12:45 PM

I didn't expect this to generate such a response! We're probably getting into the realms of another forum altogether really!

I'm from England actually. Born and bred in London and Kent. I just happen to live and work in Germany right now!

I knew there were plenty of Americanisms in the English language, but I never realised verbs were affected too! Practice is indeed a verb in American!! Like you say, you learn something every day! Very interesting!

Just in case anyone is interested now this debate comes to a close, the English (as used outside of America) definition is as follows

Practise (to). It's a verb and is used whenever someone is doing something. John is practising football. John will be practising his football skills.

Practice is a noun. John will be going to football practice tonight. John took part in a football skills practice session.

Easy!!

Anyway! Thanks for that. DVinfo has expanded my language skills!

Dylan Couper October 16th, 2007 03:57 PM

Fixed!

Thanks guys.

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2007 09:48 PM

Title section has been changed, can you guys tell me if it works fine for you?

Thanks!

Benjamin Durin October 23rd, 2007 10:26 PM

Works fine on Firefox here.

Robert Martens October 24th, 2007 02:30 AM

Yep! Works in all browsers here.

Dylan Couper October 24th, 2007 05:09 PM

Thanks guys!

Daniel Kohl October 28th, 2007 04:15 PM

Hi Dylan,

I just checked out the website. Looks good using Apple's Safari.

One thing that I was missing was what the theme for each challenge was.

Maybe you could include somewhere at the beginning of each of the lists.

Nice job!

Dylan Couper October 28th, 2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl (Post 766316)
Hi Dylan,

I just checked out the website. Looks good using Apple's Safari.

One thing that I was missing was what the theme for each challenge was.

Maybe you could include somewhere at the beginning of each of the lists.

Nice job!

Good idea, I'll add it shortly!