DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   If anyone is curious (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/236677-if-anyone-curious.html)

Jeremy Doyle June 3rd, 2009 10:17 AM

If anyone is curious

I just competed in the 48 hour film - Fargo. I posted a link to the video in the "show your work forum", but didn't know how many of you check that section. Since I've competed in a few of these DV Challenges now, I thought you might be interested.

Kris Holodak June 3rd, 2009 07:03 PM

Aren't the 48 Hr films great fun? I did the DC one last month and I'm doing Baltimore in a week and a half. I'd do Richmond too except it's not a good weekend. They're really addictive. And my regular DVChallenge posse likes them because they get to see their work on the big screen rather than just the internet.

Jeremy Doyle June 4th, 2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Holodak (Post 1153670)
Aren't the 48 Hr films great fun?

I agree. This was my 6th one. The first one I participated in was Des Moines 2005. I'll be in Des Moines again this year in July. Fargo is the other one I participate in. Someday I want to be in Minneapolis as they usually have 80-100 teams, and its only a 2 hour drive for me, but the dates have never worked out. Well that and convincing my wife to give me another "free" weekend.

That's another reason why I like the DV Challenge, because I can spread the work over a larger amount of time and my wife doesn't mind that as much.

Dick Mays June 15th, 2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle (Post 1153851)
Well that and convincing my wife to give me another "free" weekend.

That's another reason why I like the DV Challenge, because I can spread the work over a larger amount of time and my wife doesn't mind that as much.

I'm doing the 48 hour in Atlanta in two weeks, but I also much prefer the DV Challenge as I don't have a team to help me write, shoot, and edit. These two day productions turn into a 48 hour marathon of coffee, red bull, and bourbon. (Or Scotch, in Dylan's case).

Jeremy, talk to me, if you need help with the wife. There's a solution to the problem of a wife begrudging you a free weekend.

Kris Holodak June 15th, 2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 1158742)
... I don't have a team to help me write, shoot, and edit.

Wow, you're doing the whole thing on your own? I just finished Baltimore last night. I had a team of 16 (biggest I've ever had) and I'm still feeling exhausted today. I can't imagine trying to do it on my own. Good luck man.

Dick Mays June 15th, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Holodak (Post 1158747)
Wow, you're doing the whole thing on your own? I just finished Baltimore last night. I had a team of 16 (biggest I've ever had) and I'm still feeling exhausted today. I can't imagine trying to do it on my own. Good luck man.

I got a TEAM of actors. But no technical help, lighting, camera, audio and editing, gots to do it all! Doable for a DV Challenge, but two days kills me.

Jeremy Doyle July 28th, 2009 10:19 AM

Last weekend I participated in another 48 hour film project. This time it was Des Moines, IA. Again I posted the link in the "show your work" section.

How did Atlanta go for you Dick?

Dick Mays July 29th, 2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle (Post 1177754)
Last weekend I participated in another 48 hour film project. This time it was Des Moines, IA. Again I posted the link in the "show your work" section.

How did Atlanta go for you Dick?

Jeremy,

I had a great experience doing our 48 hour film. But before I give you a link to mine, I'd like to give you some feedback on your two entries. I just watched the zombie comedy, pretty funny, and I had to go back and see the woods thriller a second time. The zombie comedy was much more entertaining that most of the films I saw in Atlanta. I loved the dead girlfriend killing the live girlfriend, and the ending. Very clever writing. There were a number of interesting shots, like the guy appearing after the garbage can lid wipe, that I suppose were director decisions. I think you were the DP and Editor on both. Were you also the director? I don't remember the credits.

The zombie thing doesn't do a lot for me, so I liked the first film more. It was a believable thriller, also with good writing. Hard to get a good plot with twists in a short film, but this one had it. Considering that these were made in 48 hours, I think the production level was fantastic. Like Lorinda, the only technical thing that jumped out at me was the blow out background from the door POV in the zombie comedy. How did you like working with others on the set?

My shooting experience was great. I used 9 actors (everyone that could make it from a class of 13), and we wrote the story with the characters in mind. My three male actors took turns booming audio, setting the dolly track, and moving lighting equipment. I was exhausted by the end of a 15 hour day, but couldn't have made it without their help. The audio was great, no mic noise from inexperienced handlers as I expected.

The first cut of the movie had to fit into seven minutes and I had to drop some footage I liked, and rushed some of the cuts so they were as smooth as I wanted them to be. But I still think it was a pretty good showing. I took more time with a remixed edit, and then watched a tutorial on colorizing, so the version I circulated as DVDs to the class looked a bit better. Here is the original version:

YouTube - Not This One

Here is the longer remixed and colorized version, (with Lorinda's suggestions added)
YouTube - Not This One (colorized)

Here is the tutorial that I found so interesting on colorizing:
Red Giant TV Episode 22: Creating a Summer Blockbuster Film Look on Vimeo

I can't believe you were up for doing two of these so close together. Did any of yours get voted into the "Best of" viewing? Mine didn't, which bummed me out. Lorinda says my films are better on a second viewing. I think she's being kind. LOL.

Lorinda Norton July 30th, 2009 12:33 AM

Me? Kind? Not a chance!

You three have been busy this summer! Makes me want to enter a 48 hr contest. Well...almost.

Kris, I’d love to see your latest!

I’ve been working with the tips shown in the link Dick provided. They are GREAT!! Just wish I could find a way to do one of the effects in Vegas because it’s very nice.

Jeremy Doyle July 30th, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 1178311)
I just watched the zombie comedy, pretty funny, and I had to go back and see the woods thriller a second time. The zombie comedy was much more entertaining that most of the films I saw in Atlanta. I loved the dead girlfriend killing the live girlfriend, and the ending. Very clever writing. There were a number of interesting shots, like the guy appearing after the garbage can lid wipe, that I suppose were director decisions. I think you were the DP and Editor on both. Were you also the director? I don't remember the credits.

The zombie thing doesn't do a lot for me, so I liked the first film more. It was a believable thriller, also with good writing. Hard to get a good plot with twists in a short film, but this one had it. Considering that these were made in 48 hours, I think the production level was fantastic. Like Lorinda, the only technical thing that jumped out at me was the blow out background from the door POV in the zombie comedy. How did you like working with others on the set?

They were both very different experiences. The thriller made for the Fargo was a lot more work because I did all the technical stuff except write. I was there helping flesh out the story and brainstorming how to get from here to there, but I didn't come up with the dialogue. I did the directing, shooting, editing, sound, and graphics.

For Des Moines I work with a team of people so there's more time to relax and it's good for me because the rest of the team isn't as competitive as I am. That makes it less stressful by itself. On Friday night we brainstormed ideas as a core group of 5. Then our writer spent the night doing his thing. On Saturday we assembled for the shoot. We didn't get started shooting till after 11. Who knew Zombie make up would take so much time. Heather, the producer, knows someone for everything. I directed, shot, and did the graphics. It changed a lot during the editing process. We really went overboard this year. The rough cut was close to 11 minutes and stuff was already being cut before the rough was done. Lots of cool shots and scenes got axed.

Quote:

I can't believe you were up for doing two of these so close together. Did any of yours get voted into the "Best of" viewing? Mine didn't, which bummed me out. Lorinda says my films are better on a second viewing. I think she's being kind. LOL.

They were 2 months apart. That's not too bad. I enjoy the Fargo event because it's only a couple hours from home and I head to Des Moines every year because Chad, our writer, I've known since we were in the 5th grade.

The thriller didn't get any best of and I won't know about the zombie movie until Aug 13th.

Jeremy Doyle July 30th, 2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Jeremy,
The first cut of the movie had to fit into seven minutes and I had to drop some footage I liked, and rushed some of the cuts so they were as smooth as I wanted them to be. But I still think it was a pretty good showing. I took more time with a remixed edit, and then watched a tutorial on colorizing, so the version I circulated as DVDs to the class looked a bit better. Here is the original version:

YouTube - Not This One

Here is the longer remixed and colorized version, (with Lorinda's suggestions added)
YouTube - Not This One (colorized)

Here is the tutorial that I found so interesting on colorizing:
Red Giant TV Episode 22: Creating a Summer Blockbuster Film Look on Vimeo

I like the color treatment. It really does add quite a bit. It looks like it would have been a lot fun to shoot that. And where do you find a house with a secret room? Nice.

Dick Mays July 30th, 2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle (Post 1178654)
I like the color treatment. It really does add quite a bit. It looks like it would have been a lot fun to shoot that. And where do you find a house with a secret room? Nice.

The secret room was a surprise to me. But when I saw it I knew I had to use it. The actor playing the father had a really great idea AFTER we shot the scene. Have the girl come OUT from the secret room to get Daniel. Implying a secret stairway as well.

But not enough time to reshoot things in a 48 hour competition.