DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/509901-tales-wonder-woe-dvc-22-a.html)

Mark Hartopp September 4th, 2012 04:21 PM

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

Interesting to see the different broadband speeds people have - for me it adds a different dimension to the challenge and to take into account. Really looking forward to see how many different interpretation of the theme were made.

Joseph Tran September 4th, 2012 05:26 PM

So how long do you think it would take for my 14.4 baud modem to push my video to youtube?

Toni Dolce September 5th, 2012 12:31 AM

I sent in everything and am awaiting Lorinda's confirmation. She had given us until 11:59 Pacific time ! Thank you, Lorinda!

This past month has been one of major challenges and excitement. I hope you enjoy my short film as much as I have enjoyed making it. I tried to really push myself creatively with use of the theme, coming up with a cool story, as well as pushing myself technically with directing and editing. There were many times I thought, "how do real movies get made so quickly?" There are SO many moving elements and when you combine one camera, a foreign country, international actors, lav mic sound (1st and 2nd choice are always booms, but alas, I do not own that yet), and minimal lighting, you never know what is going to come out on the other side! What a fun ride this has been!

I can't wait to see everyone's films!

Toni

Mark Hartopp September 5th, 2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Tran (Post 1751403)
So how long do you think it would take for my 14.4 baud modem to push my video to youtube?

Are you on about a dial-up modem? I Google stuff and found this site that should be able to give a guide to how long it will take.

Bandwidth conversion calculator | web.forret.com

Andris Krastins September 5th, 2012 04:07 AM

I've read in a book about directing theater plays that it is a great success if the end result is at least 60% of what the director had imagined in his or her head. This, I think so, applies equally to film-making.

Unfortunately I feel that I haven't achieved those 60% I wished for. I didn't have a crew or actors, everything was rushed, because of other responsibilities, and I edited in distracting environments. All of which is small potatoes if compared to my negligible skills, hah!

Any way, what I have, until now, really gotten out of this challenge is the experience in building more complex soundscapes. I've come to love and appreciate the complex sound environments that can be created by recording, obtaining and mixing different sound fx and music, and I will never look to future productions as I've had before, with regards to this aspect.

Really looking forward to seeing all of your films!

Frank Moody September 8th, 2012 10:43 AM

Well it seems that my video will not embed? So now I have a hyper link when I should have a nice embedded video frame! Crap what did I do wrong?

Anyone help?

Thanks

Mark Hartopp September 8th, 2012 11:33 AM

Have you created a Vimeo account and uploaded a version there? As I understand it only Vimeo will embed into forum posts and Youtube is just a weblink.

Chris Barcellos September 8th, 2012 11:38 AM

No for mine. This is first time I got a frame like Vimeo for the YouTube version. Not sure why. I just posted link.

Frank Moody September 8th, 2012 11:44 AM

Did you copy and paste the embed code or what how did you do it?

Mark Hartopp September 8th, 2012 11:57 AM

No. copied the url address of the video, you can find that url address in the code

or
If you have firefox you can right click on my video, select copy video url, paste it into a new tab and that will show how the url address then you will not what your looking for.

Andrew Bove September 9th, 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1750116)
Sorry guys, just a little ole night school lawyer here, so I had to look that one up on Wikipedia..... With 40 entries, only two bodies through windows ??? You know there is going to be a lot of breaking, but only two or three through windows ? I bet sugar futures went way up with the announcement of the theme....

Looks like we didn't have any on camera defenestrations. Bummer! There were three implied (via two off camera car accidents). We did have a brick and a beer bottle through windows though. With some nicely done vfx!

Joseph Tran September 10th, 2012 12:09 PM

I should mention that I have video of one of my bottles shattering into a million pieces... because a car ran over it... right in front of me and my camera...

It all happened so fast that I didn't have time to really react to what had just happened. However, after we cleaned up the scene, I began to realize how scary -- and potentially more dangerous and worse -- that moment could have been.

I literally chalked it up to experience, called it a good day, thanked the universe, and never mentioned it since.

Mark Hartopp September 12th, 2012 02:15 AM

I am still watching everyone's films and I must say I'm finding very hard to pick. Each one has pro's and con's but marking them on production value and theme/story seam to create a level playing field.

Who else is finding it stuff, with the standard of films available?

Andris Krastins September 12th, 2012 02:19 AM

I'm also trying to hurry and see everyone's entries, but I'm very busy at work, so I may be a little late with the reviews.