DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC 22 "And the winner is..." (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/510873-dvc-22-winner.html)

Lorinda Norton September 22nd, 2012 11:00 AM

DVC 22 "And the winner is..."

It took us awhile but we finally have a champion in this amazing and crazy round of the DVC!! What Dylan has said in the past holds true: Everyone who submitted a film is a winner. We had the privilege of watching some great interpretations of the theme “glass,” along with some jaw-dropping cinematography, as well. You all should be very proud of your work.

It’s pretty obvious that the man behind this round’s madness is our awesome sponsor, Guy Cochran, of DVeStore! Who offers up the prize of a hot new Black Magic Cinema Camera?!?! He does! Thank you so much, Guy, for giving huge incentive to shooters new to The DV Challenge and inspiring veteran filmmakers.

As always, our thanks to the one and only O-Rex, Chris Hurd, owner of DV Info Net—the reason we even have such a great place to get together on a semi-regular basis for so much fun and filmmaking. Then there’s the man behind The DV Challenge, our lovable rogue…Dylan Couper. :)

Let’s get on with it! You already know the runners-up because of the tie-breaker vote, but we’re going to add a nod to the next film that came so close:

Honorable Mention:

“Alexis Vidrio” by Toni Dolce

First-rate cinematography and editing on this great film, Toni. Well done!!

2nd Runner Up:

“Tradition” by Mark Hartopp

Earthy and wonderfully-told story of glass-making. Couldn’t have fit the theme any better, Mark!!

1st Runner Up:

“Loop” by Simon Wood

Masterful storytelling without a spoken word, Simon. As Clint Harmon said in the feedback, “either you live the most interesting place in the world, or you have the ability to make anything look interesting. I am thinking it is more the latter. I hope the next project is something like drywall or trashcan just so I can see how you would make it the most interesting subject ever.”

And now…

WINNER and Champion of DVC 22:

“Road To Symphony” by Joseph Tran

Joseph, you have proven once again that tugging on the ole heartstrings, combined with a great story, cast, production skill and editing is still the winning combination. Congratulations on taking top honors with such a wonderful film!! Enjoy your new camera--we will see you again showing what it can do. This win makes you a 4-time winner of The DV Challenge! Wow!!

That’s a wrap, folks! We really hope to see you and many others in December for the DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge! This time you won’t be shooting for what you can get, but what you can give—and isn’t that the best prize of all?! Until then, happy shooting, and stay tuned to DV Info Net, the best DV information network on the planet!!!

Simon Wood September 22nd, 2012 11:16 AM

Re: DVC 22 "And the winner is..."

Haha! Nail biting stuff!

Well done Joseph - I voted for you, and I had a feeling you would take it outright (I was surprised by the 3 way draw)! As Lorinda says; everyone is a winner; and this was the best DVC for a long time I reckon. Well done to Mark & Toni too; both of those videos would have won many a competition I reckon; if not for 4 time winner Tran the man!

The bar has been set very high with such a great variety of different movies; from documentary to comedy to outright action. The next competitions going to be interesting; see you all then!

Chris Barcellos September 22nd, 2012 11:45 AM

Congratulations to all who participated in this round. Quite a turn out and some real great films. Gives us all something to shoot for next time around..

Joseph, truly another beautiful job. As Lorinda, states, the ole heartstring tug is what cinema story telling is all about, and your films have always had that feel of human emotion. Something all of us want to emulate.

Dick Mays September 22nd, 2012 11:58 AM

Joseph Tran makes inventive, entertaining films, and he keeps getting better. Not satisfied with being a professional magician, he puts his Ninja skills to work, splitting the documentary vote and taking off with Black Magic camera! Well played, Ninja Tran.

I am glad to see Toni's film get an honorable mention. Beautifully shot, would have been the winning entry in many past competitions. Congratulations to all the mentioned filmmakers, they were all beautiful, well executed films.

Adam Snow September 22nd, 2012 01:20 PM

Congrats Joseph and wonderful job everyone else!

Toni Dolce September 22nd, 2012 08:34 PM

Congratulations to Joseph for winning the awesome Black Magic! I look forward to seeing what you do with the camera in your next film.

Thanks, Lorinda, for the mention. Also, congratulations to Simon and Mark for their well-done and finely executed films.

Fellows, it may be a little early to start the trash-talking, but next competition you are going down. DOWN!!
Mark my words, a woman is going to take the next round. Ruth....it's me or you!!

This was a great contest and I look forward to contributing more to the community as time goes on.

It would be cool to one day collaborate with some of you fellow filmmakers.

See you on the flip side!

Toni

Ruth Happel September 22nd, 2012 09:50 PM

This was a really good challenge, with lots of great entries. Congratulations to Joseph for a wonderful film, and to everyone who participated this round.

Toni, I will pile on the trash. We should do our best to have a woman win! As a native New Yorker it is too bad I am no longer there or we could combine forces next round ; )

Thanks again for setting up these challenges, and for making this site such an excellent gathering place.

Mitchell Stookey September 23rd, 2012 06:21 PM

Congratulations to Joseph, Simon, Mark, Toni and all the filmmakers! What a roller coaster DV Challenge! I too would love to see the stuff you shoot on the new camera Joseph!

Dick Mays September 23rd, 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Dolce (Post 1754758)

Fellows, it may be a little early to start the trash-talking, but next competition you are going down. DOWN!!
Mark my words, a woman is going to take the next round. Ruth....it's me or you!!

Toni

Gosh, I love a trash talking woman! Must come from growing up in Alabama...

Frank Moody September 24th, 2012 09:58 PM

Congratulations! To all the winners!

Great stuff from everyone! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it cant wait until the next one!

Also thank you all for the feedback on my own work! I will try and learn from your advise!

Frank

Joseph Tran September 25th, 2012 11:10 AM

What an intense competition this has been! So many great films to watch, so much to learn and share! The conversations between everyone the past few weeks have been incredible!

Many, many thanks for your votes, your comments and feedback, and your support. I am truly honored by the response, to be able to participate in such a vast amount of knowledge, and to have my name alongside such talented people! I can only promise to continue sharing the knowledge that I have learned here, and hopefully inspire others in the process.

As we all said before, many thanks to Dylan & Lorinda for keeping this fabulous challenge alive, to Guy for always providing the amazing prizes, and to our head Rex, Chris, for providing us THE best place to share our knowledge on the internet!

With that said, congrats to Simon, Mark, Toni, and everyone else for creating some fabulous work, thank you again, and see you all on the boards!

Mark Hartopp October 1st, 2012 06:48 AM

I had to wait an extra week to get back home from filming in the sticks to read the post as no-one tell me the results about from I have to read it myself. Wow! Congratulations to Joseph. Fighting talk from Toni - careful whose cage you rattle :) Its been fun. Whens the next one. Must admit bit guttered, hoped to get away from my tape based HDV kit, would have been life changing. See you all next time.

Andrew Bove October 6th, 2012 11:31 AM

Congrats to all for the fine film making- and especially to Joesph, nice job! Well done!

I'm impressed at all the nice films that were created. Nice to meet all of you as well, I'll see you next year for sure, if not sooner!