DVC 9 Sign Up Thread! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Me too

I'm throwing my hat in also. Maybe I can get an award for late signup?
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #77
Wrangler

Oops... I must admit I overlooked the new YouTube requirement added for this DVC:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....96&postcount=2

I know I'm going to be very much in the minority as it is mainly an issue of principle rather than practicality for my amateurish filmmaking efforts, but due to a clause in YouTube's TOS I do not have an account there and am not currently willing to create one:

Quote:
...by submitting User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.

That's way too expansive for my personal taste. Although I'm admittedly behind the power curve doing this DVC anyway (as usual), I did figure to slip in under the wire, but sorry to say, I think I'll "unsign up" -- or mount myself on the "Wall of Shame" if you prefer.

And that's not to discourage the vast majority of DVC'ers who ARE comfortable with YouTube's TOS; just ain't for me. Y'all go get 'em!
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #78
Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this bit of insight... I wonder if I can un-you tube my entry?

Probably not ... I doubt it is marketable anyway pretty low res as well.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear more about the ramifications of this clause. I will make a info.net search in a second - but if this topic has not been brought up yet in "taking care of business", it might be nice to have it.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #79
Inner Circle

I resisted YouTube for a long time for the same reason, but finally did sign up. I doubt they will ever find anything of mine that has any value, commercial or otherwise.

Also, you can remove your video at any time, but just clicking remove.

I will be uploading my entry here shortly. I can certainly understand Dylan's wanting a YouTube submission, as there have been many DVInfo.net movies in the past that I could not see, no matter how hard I tried. At least YouTube is drop dead easy! Remember, about $60.00 a year gets you all the web space you need to do all of your posting, with no problems!!!!!!

Good luck to all, and if an old man like me thinks he can trust YouTube, I think that you can too. By the way, all of the video sharing sites have the same clauses, that is why I have my own web space.

Mike
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #80
Contributor

Thanks for that Mike,

I just started a thread in "Taking care of business" concerning this. Maybe it makes sense to post your comment there as well.

I think if you read the small print on almost anything you sign up for, that offers some kind of service for free, you will find something like this.

Of course being a little paranoid is also probably healthy. (I'm not saying your being paranoid Peter ;'))

I've had my share of problems with "fine print" issues.

I just don't want to let a worry like this get in the way of the fun, unless there is a serious issue here

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #81
Regular Crew

I don't believe youtube has any real interest in trying to make money on peoples posted material. I would be willing to bet the reason they have such a disclaimer is simply to protect themselves from law suits such as those they have already been in.

Not that it really protects them, but in this lawsuit happy world we live in, it gives them a little something to use in court if need be.

Stacy
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #82
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
By the way, all of the video sharing sites have the same clauses, that is why I have my own web space.

Mike
Bullseye! It is simple and cheap to have your own web site and the content is your own property; heck, almost every ISP even has free web space and simple tools to create pages. For those who aren't comfortable maintaining a web site, or otherwise don't have access to web space, well, there's YouTube and similar sites.

As I said, it isn't a practical concern for anyone here; YouTube isn't likely to rob you of your fortune -- unless your work is really THAT good! ;-) For me, I just don't want to be required to join a website with TOS I don't like just in order to do DVC. Totally a personal thing.

Best wishes to all the challengers!
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Bullseye! It is simple and cheap to have your own web site and the content is your own property...
I really wonder how true that is?

I live in Orlando, Florida and there has been a girl (woman) missing for sometime now (beautiful blonde). Her parents made a website for her and posted pictures trying to do all they can to find her.

Recently, her pictures (those they posted) have shown up on sex date websites and her parents (furious obviously) tried to sue these companies. The judge ruled in favor of the websites claiming that the internet is open domain and the parents have no legal standing. So they lost the lawsuit.

I am no lawer and really don't know how this stuff works but anytime I post video, pictures, music, etc. I fully understand that anyone might claim it and use it for what ever they want.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that. My stuff is horrible anyway. If anything people will pay me to keep it OFF the internet! :)

Stacy
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #84
Wrangler

On the flip side:

Consider this: You just made a short film. Miramax calls. They say: "hey, we saw your short and loved it. But... we're going to steal it, market it, sell it, and keep all the money. You don't get squat, but a million people will know your name." How mad are you really going to be? I'd be dancing in the street, possibly naked.

Our problem is not copyright protection, it's obscurity.

Youtube is about exposure. The principal reason I want to post on Youtube, besides speed, is that it will get people exposure. As it is, the only views our films get are from DVinfo members, friends, and family. Youtube will bring a lot of views to DVC that we won't otherwise get. I'd personally be thrilled if Youtube took something I put up there, distributed it, sold it, whatever. It would cost a fortune to buy the amount of views a popular film can get there. Make something brilliant? Youtube is your best bet for for it to go viral.

For now, I'll just keep hoping that Youtube steals my stuff. :)

However, if anyone completely objects to it, I'll make some exceptions as long as you don't use those crappy free download sites!
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Dudley View Post
I am no lawer and really don't know how this stuff works but anytime I post video, pictures, music, etc. I fully understand that anyone might claim it and use it for what ever they want.
Any artistic material you create, including home photos are protected by copyright. It's easier to "steal" it from websites but it doesn't make it legal to steal and use. There must be some other reason for that ruling since what he basically did is against the what the entire movie and music industry is fighting for. You as a copyright holder are protected the same way as any big company like Disney et c. Legal wise there is no difference between a home video and a blockbuster feature. Both are artistic pieces. One might be crappier but it's still protected. However bigger companies can of course hire better lawyers.
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
For now, I'll just keep hoping that Youtube steals my stuff. :)
I agree. If anybody steals my stuff at least I know I am that good! :) A genious can always create more masterpieces! ;)
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #87
Trustee

Well, I've noticed those clauses in TOS on every hosting site I checked out.

Nonetheless I just uploaded my entry to YouTube and posted access to Dylan's dvchallenge group so it's there.

Quality is...(excrement)...But viewable and I understand Dylan's points.

I'm uploading to filefront.com and as soon as I have all the links, my email to Dylan will go out.

One problem I had when I registered there was no form of my name or commonly used usernames were allowed. Too many of me running around I guess.

So the "DanangDenizen" is me over there. (excrement)!
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #88
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson View Post
I agree. If anybody steals my stuff at least I know I am that good! :) A genious can always create more masterpieces! ;)
I'll steal yours if you steal mine! :)
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I'll steal yours if you steal mine! :)
roflmao! Now that's humour! :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge