Please don't change the forum - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:00 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Please don't change the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
The other issue is that after a few months people will have learnt new internet browsing habits at other sites and may not necessarily come back. Gotta have all bugs ironed out at launch time.
The change is taking place under new ownership, so they're updating everything on the web site, since it wasn't a priority for the previous owners. I suspect they discovered more and more difficulties once they were into the change over.

Having said that, the new forum software does fit in with the look of the new web site, so is probably a good investment in the longer term.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2021, 09:28 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
That would be nice and maybe other members would then flag up what they consider the really things the new one can do, that perhaps deserve a go, but I suspect we all use this one differently, so my unused feature is somebody else’s mainstay.

I spent ten minutes yesterday composing a helpful post to a guy who’d bought an elderly mixer on another forum. What the forum did was present it as a current post, it turned out he’d bought in new in 2004 and keywords had dragged it up. When I realised I couldn’t edit it or delete it, and I posted a short “I hate this……..” in frustration. The site owner got crazily defensive and we’ve fell out after 20 years. I suspect the advantages and improvements he got just caused the huge drop off in existing members and the number of new member help posts with no answers has risen. Very sad. It’s recording.org if you want to see how it looks and works.
White text on a black background is a total turn off for me plus so much wasted screen real estate... & that's just looking at the first screen.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2021, 10:38 PM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
What if I can show you the new version, ahead of time before it goes live, and get your feedback on it. Address whatever objections or issues that come up, get those rectified or at least explained, and try to tailor it to whatever the regular crowd here sees fit to endorse... so that there aren't any nasty surprises later.

This offer goes out to anyone DVi member who's interested, not just you two.

+1 on that! Gets my vote for sure. That would be a good way to shake the frum down before commissioning it. If it's good enough for the Navy with a new warship where things have to work correctly once the ship is commissioned it's good enough for me.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2021, 03:39 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Clearly something is going on - four forums I use are having the same discussions, so the software folk are driving the changes I suspect. Old is not always bad.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2021, 07:49 AM   #50
Inner Circle

It appears that you need to update the forum software, otherwise you may find yourself with aspects of the software which isn't supported over time.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2021, 02:37 AM   #51
Inner Circle

The NLE has moved over to its new forum software, which looks quite different to the old 2010 software. However, it does fit with the graphic style of the new web site.

So far, the numbers who have seen it are still relatively small, however, there are individuals who don't like it. The forum does have advantages over the old one, but features like trophies and seeing the newest posts a different way and the old one was more compacr seem to come up in the dislike stakes,

The one person who might've complained strongly about the new forum is, so far, pretty positive about it.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements