DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   What Happened to DV Info (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/538827-what-happened-dv-info.html)

Chuck Spaulding April 24th, 2023 09:50 AM

What Happened to DV Info

Because my life took a bit of a different direction, it’s been about four years since I last visited DVI. What happened? Doesn’t seem to be very active.

Craig Seeman April 24th, 2023 04:14 PM

Re: What Happened to DV Info

Facebook. The proliferation of Facebook Groups.
To a lesser extent, YouTube posting on specific topics, and people post questions to the creators there.

Andrew Smith April 24th, 2023 08:55 PM

I'm still always around and check daily. Probably lots who merely lurk.

It's possible that a lot of the technology pain points have been migrated through over time and there is now less to complain about. That said, I don't think I would ever give up on DVinfo and the gems that you come across here.

Andrew

Dave Baker April 25th, 2023 12:35 AM

Prety much the same as Andrew says.

I believe a lot of it is that many people who would have bought a camcorder and would have needed help here or elsewhere, now use their smart phones and that is good enough for them.

In my case, I have learned much from you folks and simply don't have the need to ask like I used to, although I still log in every day.

Luke Miller April 25th, 2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Baker (Post 1969131)
In my case, I have learned much from you folks and simply don't have the need to ask like I used to, although I still log in every day.

Same here.

One thing that has happened in my case is my still cameras have become more capable video cameras than my JVC LS300 cameras. So rather than upgrade my video cameras my video work has mostly migrated to them. My questions are now answered on the still camera forums.

Boyd Ostroff April 26th, 2023 05:34 AM

I'm still here and check in regularly. But I just don't shoot much video anymore. And I think the main thing that happened was smartphones. Sure, people are still using dedicated video cameras, but almost everyone is carrying around a 4k camera on their phone and that is good enough for most.

But I don't think that much has changed in the last four years as the OP suggested. Things were already getting very slow around here by 2019.

Andrew Smith April 26th, 2023 04:52 PM

Smartphones are certainly the new "good enough" but they're no good for photo journalism of an escaped lion. For lots of things you want a good lens to be able to zoom in with.

Now, more than ever, audio quality is paramount to easily separate yourself from the amateurs with.

Andrew