DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 10 "DEADLines" by Jeremy Doyle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/106783-dvc-10-deadlines-jeremy-doyle.html)

Jeremy Doyle October 29th, 2007 10:37 AM

DVC 10 "DEADLines" by Jeremy Doyle

I signed up for DVC 8 and 9, but never got around to actually making anything. I figured I better get something done for this one or just quite signing up.

I was talking with another editor and telling him the theme and after chatting a bit I decided to go with what scares me the most. I'm most positive any editor can relate to the short I ended up with.

I still didn't have much time to do anything so there was no script just a general idea. I gave it Saturday morning to work on. It was shot, edited, compressed and uploaded in 6 hours.

I used 2 of my 3 minutes. I can see where big ideas would run out of time fast.

All in all it was a fun experience and I'm glad I got something done.

Shot with a sony XDCAM 330, edited in FCP, and photoshop used for a couple screen adjustments.

Bradley L Marlow October 29th, 2007 10:50 AM

Hi Jeremy!

Great job Jeremy and man, oh man, can I relate to that! Especially during this competition. Funny thing is that I use the same type of set up, FCP, mac and that red media offline is never good for my heart.

You had some great shots in this production and I was expecially fond of the eye in and out and in focus again.

lol! It wasn't easy to catch but I laughed hard when seeing the "give up it won't be done" sign.

Was that a big screen tv in that last shot? Nice.

Meryem Ersoz October 29th, 2007 11:00 AM

now THAT'S scary--forget the whole slasher thing, now losing your media, oh the horror the horror! this sure hit the target with me...

i liked how you converted the media offline bar to credits. very clever.

glad you could generate an entry, looking forward to more.

Josh Chesarek October 29th, 2007 11:00 AM

The give it up part on the time was great. I feel that way every time I watch the render time. I swear it only goes up to mock me. I enjoyed the fast pace of things as well :) Good job, glad to see you got an entry done this time.

Hugh DiMauro October 29th, 2007 12:20 PM

I am a sucker for great opening titles and I loved yours. The quick cutting, close-ups, focus and music worked perfectly. I could feel your actor’s tension at meeting his deadline. I liked your slick thriller approach to the theme and it works! Tension is tension whether it involves death or a deadline and your use of all the above stress building techniques blended together well. Great job.

Daniel Ross October 29th, 2007 04:19 PM

Scary, yes. Though not quite the way we'd expect for such a contest. But, of course, in this type of contest there's always that one film, like this, and I'm happy it's this one this time around. Very good job of taking apart the theme and making it about video. I enjoyed watching it.

One thing about the style that was interesting but took away from the horror aspect was the cinematography. The closeups and snap zooms were more like a documentary than fiction.

Interesting, perhaps slight extreme, use of angled shots.

Rhythm was the best part, I think.

Dick Mays October 29th, 2007 05:14 PM

One "Add" to make the whole thing scarier. Make the Day SUNDAY instead of Saturday, and the fear level takes a whole 'nuther dimension.

Very creative and fun entry.

Lorinda Norton October 29th, 2007 09:53 PM

Hey Jeremy,

As you know so well, the cutting made the movie. I liked all your varied shots, as well.

Because PC users don't ever encounter problems like the red "media offline" I couldn't really relate, but loved it anyway...

JUST KIDDING!!!! :)

Daniel Kohl October 30th, 2007 06:46 PM

I think the Kernel Panic where the whole screen fills up with cryptic UNIX text is even more scary.

I think if you had had some kind of deep demonic voice on the other end of the telephone line telling you that making the deadline would determine weather you were to keep your mortal soul or not would have pushed your piece more into the expected theme.

But who cares, fear is fear.

Nice editing.

Marco Wagner October 30th, 2007 08:36 PM

I know i was scared! I hate seeing that "media offline" message, lol. the cinematography was def. in the style of high intensity, nice!

Mugurel Dragusin October 30th, 2007 10:06 PM

Nice take on the subject

Jeremy, this was a nice twist on the theme, great combination. Enjoyed the editing which set a tense pace and feel to it, good job I would say!

Randall Allen November 1st, 2007 10:09 AM

Jeremy, you did a great job. I can definitly relate to the whole I signed up to do this but did not get it done thing. I would have really liked to done a project for this one but right after I signed up I was told my office was moving the second weekend of DVC10 so.....no editing computer.

Randy