DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC22 Tradition by Mark Hartopp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/510498-dvc22-tradition-mark-hartopp.html)

Andrew Bove September 8th, 2012 08:16 AM

Re: DVC22 Tradition by Mark Hartopp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hartopp (Post 1751776)
@ Dick Mays - The last shot with the credits is the final vase.

Like Dick, I also missed the connection that the final vase was the one she was working on. It's gorgeous! If footage was included showing the glass getting closer to that finished product, it might help the viewer understand the connection to the final shot. But that's being picky.

Also, one suggestion regarding interview footage: It is always nice to see people's eyes clearly in interviews. If the angle to Siddy's face was closer in line with the lens (not looking in directly, obviously, just a bit closer), and maybe a little more light on her eyes, the viewer could make a greater emotional connection with her and her story as she is speaking.

The spinning at 2:43 is a great shot!

I can't believe your camera didn't melt in that room.

Mark Hartopp September 8th, 2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rodriguez-Torrent (Post 1751955)
Did you shoot this all solo? If so, it is all the more impressive for it.

Yep filmed all by myself. I film small minority action sports in my spare time like power kiting and mountain boarding. Filming action sports over a weekend soon teaches you how to film fast and in some case how to make something out of nothing, if the weather turns bad. Getting interviews out of people who are shy in front of a camera, you soon learn all the tricks to get the best out of them and make them look good on camera. It also teaches you not waste tape stock and think about editing while your shooting.

I totally recommend it to anyone to take on the challenge of making a 10 minute film about one of these sports.

Mark Hartopp September 8th, 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bove (Post 1752018)
Like Dick, I also missed the connection that the final vase was the one she was working on. It's gorgeous! If footage was included showing the glass getting closer to that finished product, it might help the viewer understand the connection to the final shot. But that's being picky.

Also, one suggestion regarding interview footage: It is always nice to see people's eyes clearly in interviews. If the angle to Siddy's face was closer in line with the lens (not looking in directly, obviously, just a bit closer), and maybe a little more light on her eyes, the viewer could make a greater emotional connection with her and her story as she is speaking.

The spinning at 2:43 is a great shot!

I can't believe your camera didn't melt in that room.

Thanks for the comments, I've had to watch it again and agree with you.

I think my skin would have melted before the camera, there is about 3m between the furness and the chair she blows glass in. I am in between both of them. So hot and risky not to back into something that could burn.

Joseph Tran September 8th, 2012 12:02 PM

Wow, truly a beautiful piece, Mark! The cinematography is stunning, the editing is fluid, and the piece overall is better than a lot of the stuff I see out there on those 'educational' channels on TV!

What I really admire, though, is how you were able to tell so much of Siddy's story in such a short amount of time without making it feel too long or too cramped. To me, it didn't feel too scripted at all. Your piece reminds me of the "mini-doc's" that I used to watch on Sesame Street, or Mister Rogers's Neighborhood, or Reading Rainbow when I was a kid. I'm quite fond of that kind of educational storytelling, and it seems that that quality is not as prevalent these days. So thanks for giving me that throwback, and again, wonderful work.

Chris Barcellos September 8th, 2012 12:30 PM

Very beautiful imagery, and a great documentary subject for a short project like this. Nice pick !!

Mitchell Stookey September 9th, 2012 12:00 PM

What an awesome short documentary Mark! Lots of people have pointed out the many many great qualities of it, but I just want to add that I think it is so easy to watch and so informative. I really appreciate how fluidly the story moves through Siddy and her personal work to how glass blowing happens to its history and traditions! I think your story structure and editing of this documentary are excellent.

Also, I think the shot of Siddy wielding the long rod while being back lit from the window covered in Ivy is SO gorgeous (many shots were though).

One thought I have is that during some of Siddy's interview that she is rocking back and forth because I am guessing she is shaping a piece of glass. However, without a wide shot showing her talking AND working the glass, I don't know that for a fact. I think a wide interview shot would have worked really nice and put her movement into a very clear context, but I know you mentioned you had serious spatial challenges in the small studio, so maybe that wasn't a possibility! Just a thought!

Overall fantastic work, and I agree with Andris that the quality of work in the DVC is really getting stronger.

Mark Hartopp September 11th, 2012 01:52 AM

@ Mitchell The shot of Siddy rocking back and forth, that's all see is doing. She was pretending to roll glass as talking, as I knew I'll be dropping in close-up of the molten glass being rolled. Glass cools very quickly and so not practical to do both.

@ Toni while most of the sound is real there was some dubbing done, mainly metal FX and these were done using a beef thick screw driver on my camera tripod plate, then a pit of pitch shifting in the software.

Mark Hartopp September 11th, 2012 02:02 AM

Now this comp is coming to an end. I would like to thank everyone who has commented on and viewed my short film. I can only say how friendly this forum as been. I will take note of all the advice and improve upon what I have done. Thank you.

I am totally amazed by the standard of work and the kind of cameras used. It just shows what is possible, if you are an individual, crew or even husband & wife with a limited budget, kit. You just need imagination and the will to get off the sofa and do it.

One last note - This has been more enjoyable watching everyone's films than going to the cinema.

Good luck everyone.