DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC #6 Chris Barcellos Tell Me: Why My Movie About The Sun Stinks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/73995-dvc-6-chris-barcellos-tell-me-why-my-movie-about-sun-stinks.html)

Chris Barcellos August 21st, 2006 09:34 AM

DVC #6 Chris Barcellos Tell Me: Why My Movie About The Sun Stinks

Okay, this was fast. Didn't expect to be first up. I have to admit my creative juices weren't flowing, so I went to look for help..... The help was more fun than anything I could think of.....

By the way, this movie was inspired by a thread started just after the announcement by Dylan.. Something like "What if my movie Stinks". Thanks to those in that thread again for the inspiration.

Michael Fossenkemper August 21st, 2006 09:53 AM

Very funny. You also have a great naration voice. Maybe it was a little buried in the music at times... I really liked the dream she had where she was on the moon but had to get off with her belt because the sun was coming up. hahaha

The kitchen scene looked like it was real. Like she was really getting miffed and trying to get here point accross.

I would say it was a great save.

Chris Barcellos August 21st, 2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper

The kitchen scene looked like it was real. Like she was really getting miffed and trying to get here point accross.

True reality TV !!!

Dennis Khaye August 21st, 2006 09:57 AM

Yes it funny the places the muse chooses to rear her head. Really nice job. Those girls are too precious. A bold thematic choice pulled off very nicely.

Lorinda Norton August 21st, 2006 10:30 AM

Thanks for letting us into your head, Chris....as well as your yard, your house, your bathroom. :) I caught myself chuckling when the tp appeared and thought, "Oh no! I laugh at potty humor!"

Your images were really pleasing, and I agree with Michael--your wife did a great job! Naturally, the grandkids, too--kids can't mess up. :)

Edward Slonaker August 21st, 2006 10:36 AM

For someone who thought they didn't have an idea for this DVC, you pulled it off wonderfully! Great work with the feet; painted toes w/ wine, hairy legs with beer. LOL! Priceless....

Great job!

Sean McHenry August 21st, 2006 10:40 AM

It begins:

Chris, I liked it as well. It was very cute and watchable. It is in a way, a documentary about a film that never happened, but it's not faked like some. It's a great failure story. I mean that in a good way.

I would love to see more stories about real feature length films that never made it anywhere or een out of production. We learn from failure. That German guy was right - that which does not kill us...

Good job.

Sean

Bruce Broussard August 21st, 2006 11:38 AM

I thought that you pulled created a very entertaining short. You managed to tie all of those disparate pieces together with the narrative. It flowed smoothly. And how can you not like a film with all of the adorable children. Good job!

John Brickner Jr August 21st, 2006 01:06 PM

This is my favorite movie of day one. This is a film I would make. I laughed when you got your feet up there with the beer. Awesome film.

Eric Gan August 21st, 2006 01:29 PM

Ahh, the "what if my entry stinks" movie. I was looking forward to this one. I had imagined the sun cooking a pile of s___ on the sidewalk.

"I had to get off with my belt..." Haha..makes no sense, but that's gold!

Chris, was the solarize effect in the kitchen scene meant to signify something? I wasn't quite sure since that seemed to be the only shot that was specially modified.

Chris Barcellos August 21st, 2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gan
Ahh, the "what if my entry stinks" movie. I was looking forward to this one. I had imagined the sun cooking a pile of s___ on the sidewalk.

"I had to get off with my belt..." Haha..makes no sense, but that's gold!

Chris, was the solarize effect in the kitchen scene meant to signify something? I wasn't quite sure since that seemed to be the only shot that was specially modified.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Kitchen scene was a bit ugly, but I wanted to preserve the spontaneity (sp ?) of the response, and my spouse objected to her protrayal in pure video, so I posterized it a bit... It was a "talent" vanity issue .... :) If you are married, or have a significant other, you know what I mean...

Robert Martens August 21st, 2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr
This is my favorite movie of day one.

No offense to the others, but I'm with John. Hilarious stuff, way to pick up life's lemons and chuck 'em right back!

The sun as a painter, I like the concept, and some of those shots are durn purdy. Alas, as you point out, "There's only so much canvas in the house." Priceless words, I've got to show my dad, he loves that kind of stuff (yes, the style of humor and toiletries).

Then we move on to "Sun Feet"; is there a name for the music that plays when the segment starts? I've heard that before, but never came up with a title for it. Anyway, after you wonder "Well, that's not so great. Now what?" I'm surprised nobody said "Let's have a drink." I mean, the stuff's right there. Only three minutes, I suppose, oh well. Maybe next time.

Finally, the grandkids, that's great. "You need help with your movie? Hey, unless you've got some cash, grandpa, come up with your own ideas!" They did an admirable job offering assistance, and I'd like to see you pursue that story about somebody having to vacate the Moon because the Sun's coming up. With only a belt to save themselves. Moonbelt. In theaters this Friday.

Wish I had some constructive criticism, but your whole movie was about what didn't work, so I'm drawing a blank. Way to go, old guy!

Kris Holodak August 21st, 2006 06:40 PM

Great job Chris. It really made me smile. I lost what you were saying a couple of times under the music, but that's the only thing I can find to be "constructive" about. It was really fun and a great save considering the early writer's block.

Smile,
Kris

Jay Silver August 21st, 2006 10:00 PM

I like this movie. I think it's got some nice shots in it but the real treat is the little story, propelled in no small way by the excellent music. It hits a wall when the kids come in (because the music stops) but it wraps up well. A great example of victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.

The pigeon makes me laugh every time.

Good job!

-j

Chris Barcellos August 21st, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens
No offense to the others, but I'm with John. Hilarious stuff, way to pick up life's lemons and chuck 'em right back!

Then we move on to "Sun Feet"; is there a name for the music that plays when the segment starts? I've heard that before, but never came up with a title for it. Anyway, after you wonder "Well, that's not so great. Now what?"

Robert: If I recall, I made that music in Acid Music Studio, getting the loops from Sony's Orchestral 3- Cinematic. I don't recall if I constructed it, or just used a loop as is.

By the way, that beer did not go to waste :)