DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/)
-   -   The Production Lounge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/488747-production-lounge.html)

Henry Williams January 8th, 2011 07:46 PM

Well done Cole!

Trond, it might be worth considering a hybrid/DSLR like the GH2 or VG10. I didn't have the cash to replace my XH-A1 with the new Canon and so was in the same boat as you, but buying a VG10 allowed me to get great image quality at a lower price level and I know I've still got the XH-A1 for when I do jobs that require more pro features.

Plus it means I'm amassing DSLR lenses that won't become obsolete and can be used with the AF100 or whatever the equivalent is when I can afford to upgrade my main cam. It beats starting from scratch every few years...

Chris Barcellos January 9th, 2011 12:04 AM

With building out a studio cyclorama, a new office, and a crash last night of my computer system that has taken most of they day to clean up, I am beyond the point of being able to get something done for this challenge.... I've always particularly looked forward to this challenge, especially when it joined up with UWOL. Even yesterday, I had hoped to cobble something together, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around.

Catch you all on the next go around..

Cole Seidl January 9th, 2011 12:54 AM

Sorry to hear that Chris. I always enjoy your entries.
I'm certain you'll have better luck the next challenge that comes around.

Lorinda Norton January 9th, 2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Seidl (Post 1605711)
HA!
Production is completely done. It was hellacious, and fun. Editing now. Will have it completed without a doubt.

Cracked me up, Cole! Done while in France, no less! You just made my night. :)

Andris Krastins January 9th, 2011 05:37 AM

I'm not sure if I should submit mine, it's not... that good. Ah, for the hell of it I probably will.

Trond Saetre January 9th, 2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Williams (Post 1605724)
Trond, it might be worth considering a hybrid/DSLR like the GH2 or VG10. I didn't have the cash to replace my XH-A1 with the new Canon and so was in the same boat as you, but buying a VG10 allowed me to get great image quality at a lower price level and I know I've still got the XH-A1 for when I do jobs that require more pro features.

Plus it means I'm amassing DSLR lenses that won't become obsolete and can be used with the AF100 or whatever the equivalent is when I can afford to upgrade my main cam. It beats starting from scratch every few years...

Thank you for the tips, Henry! I appreciate.

Anyway, I finally got my (trusted) XM2 up and running again today. Several new rounds of using cleaning tape seems to have solved the problem with the dirty heads.
(Notice to self: Remember to use the cleaning tape in "record mode" also, and not only "play mode".)

Unfortunately today's weather (storm and rain coming horizontally) and (lack of) time have sent me to the wall of sharks.
I'm out of this challenge, but will be back next round!

Good luck everyone! I look forward to see all the finished films.

Finn-Erik Faale January 9th, 2011 06:52 AM

I wonder about the UWOL version of the the film.
I have not got any uploading instructions. The Vimeo link is mailed to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. Maybe that will do?

Trond, I am sorry to hear about your problems. The next UWOL challenge is not far away.

Trond Saetre January 9th, 2011 06:55 AM

Finn-Erik

No upload instructions for the DVC or DVC/UWOL challenges.
Upload to youtube and/or vimeo, and send the link via email as you already have done.

It's only for UWOL we upload to the uwol website.

And yes, I'm looking forward to February and the next UWOL challenge :)
Finally the camera is cooperating again.

Lorinda Norton January 9th, 2011 10:16 AM

Trond is correct, Finn-Erik. I haven't looked to see if prior UWOL entries submitted for the charity challenge have been posted on the UWOL Web site or not, but for this challenge the YouTube or Vimeo link sent to thedvchallenge@gmail.com is all you need.

Andris, I have thought that very thing about the majority of my entries--that they weren't worth submitting. But, like you, I decided that after all the work we put into them we might as well! I just watched a behind-the-scenes clip with Joel and Ethan Coen regarding their film Intolerable Cruelty. One of them had a look of regret and almost embarrassment about the film because it was more commercial than what they usually do. Funny, I liked that one better than some of their others. So there you go--you never know what is going to be a hit with some people. :)

Cole Seidl January 9th, 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1605772)
Cracked me up, Cole! Done while in France, no less! You just made my night. :)

Glad to hear it. Although, I came back to the states a week ago, with just enough time to crank this out. Just forgot to change location on here.

Andris Krastins January 9th, 2011 11:54 AM

Just great... now that I've finished my editing, I discover that the internet speed has gone with the weather... state of emergency was declared a few days ago.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1104103492.png

It may take me up to 23 hours to upload a 100mb file!!! I may be a little late if the electricity doesn't go out.

Lorinda Norton January 9th, 2011 12:24 PM

No worries from this end, Andris. Hoping the upload doesn't get interrupted!

Henry Williams January 9th, 2011 01:32 PM

exporting now so fingers crossed. Afraid I havent had time to do a version for dark monitors so some of you may have to adjust your sets :( Sorry! Other than that pretty pleased. Just hope nothing goes wrong with compressor...

Marc Burleigh January 9th, 2011 03:11 PM

Well, it\'s as ready as I can make it before deadline. Done and loaded up to Vimeo....

Looking forward to seeing everybody\'s gems.

Henry Williams January 9th, 2011 05:26 PM

Well done Marc!

Same here. All done and dusted.