DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   I'm lost..DVD to DVD to VHS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/10479-im-lost-dvd-dvd-vhs.html)

Brian Boals June 4th, 2003 06:29 PM

I'm lost..DVD to DVD to VHS?

OK, I'm confused.

I want to edit my DV movies and record them to DVD. I will use a DVD-R recorder as it looks like that will be playable on most DVD players.

I also want to be able to copy DVD's I have made.
Will I be able to play my own DVD's and record copies without any encryption or protection problems?

Will I be able to play my created DVD's and record to VHS (for friends that do not have DVD players) without problems?

From what I have read, when I make my DVD's there will be an encryption placed on the disk that will prevent my copying as described above.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Brian

Ken Tanaka June 4th, 2003 08:10 PM

Hello Brian,

PC or Mac?

Brian Boals June 4th, 2003 08:21 PM

Hi Ken,

I'm on a PC.

I know it is a simple newbie question but I've been out of the loop in computer technology for a while. I am totally new to DV, MP3, MPEG etc.

I'm a quick study and will be able to speak and understand "Digitalspeak" as soon as I get the basics.

Thanks, Brian

Canon XL1s
Adobe Premier 6.5
Ulead Workshop
Windows ME
1 week of ownership and use.

Lester DeLeon June 5th, 2003 12:02 AM

Unless you use some very high end DVD authoring package (Reel DVD), it will not be CCS (or CSS, I cant remember) encrypted. This means that you can copy your DVD with any disc copying program like NERO. This CCS encryptions is nice if you do wedding videos, where you do not want the client to make his own copies (he can always crack the CCS encryption with illegal, but easy to get software and some trouble getting it right).
As far as DVD to VHS, I have not tried that yet. I assume you can just connect your DVD player to a VCR and press record. I know for a fact that if the DVD is encrypted this will not work.

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2003 03:29 AM

It is almost impossible for us to make encrypted discs like
Hollywood does, why?

1. You will need a CSS capable authoring program

2. I think you need a CSS key which you need to buy. If not you will need to buy a license for using the encryption which isn't cheap

3. You will need a SPECIAL burner (home burners cannot burn the needed sector size which is larger for CSS encrypted discs) or have your disc PRESSED by a professional duplicating facility

4. You will need special AUTHORING media which allows for the
increased sector size.

So yes, you WILL be able to copy your own discs and record
them on a VCR if you hook up your DVD player. There is no
protection or Macrovision analog copy protection on your home
made discs.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 5th, 2003 05:14 AM

Well, top it off with the fact that CSS is a defeated scheme and won't do you much good protecting against anybody who's really intent on copying your discs.

Since it sounds like what you're asking for are copy-protection-free discs, you're home free.

Ken Tanaka June 5th, 2003 11:02 AM

I don't think Brian wants to make "encrypted" dvd's. Quite the contrary, he wants to avoid this and use the medium as freely as he would tape.

I think he just needs a pointer or two from other PC folks concerning how to go about this process. (Ex: Maybe Vegas 4 plus their DVD program?) Being a Mac user I don't feel qualified to offer him much.

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2003 11:22 AM

The two questions he asks have been answered:

Quote:

I also want to be able to copy DVD's I have made.
Will I be able to play my own DVD's and record copies without any encryption or protection problems?
Yes this is perfectly possible.

Quote:

Will I be able to play my created DVD's and record to VHS (for friends that do not have DVD players) without problems?
This is also possible. Simply hook your DVD players output to
the VCR and you will be able to record the disc.

Brian Boals June 6th, 2003 08:37 AM

Thank you to all!!

You have been a great help. Thanks for the information.

Thanks again, Brian