DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVD encryption (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/106425-dvd-encryption.html)

Ryan Thomas October 24th, 2007 08:18 PM

DVD encryption

What is the best way to do some kind of encryption to keep "Average Joe" from being able to dupicate a DVD?I know there is always a way around it, but I just need to make it harder for the average person to be able to duplicate the DVD I will be selling. Thanks.

John Kary October 26th, 2007 03:22 PM

Ryan,
If Hollywood can't keep users from copying DVDs, I don't know that you will be able to. Most "Average Joe" users with a DVD writer know how to copy movies using readily-available software. I would personally suggest investing your time elsewhere.

For what it's worth, most commercial DVDs use CSS encryption... which you need a license to use. You can read more about that here: http://www.dvdcca.org/css/

Paul Ramsbottom October 26th, 2007 05:02 PM

I agree.

Rather than spending time, money and effort trying to incoporate some kind of copy-protection (that free apps like MacTheRipper can [mostly] defeat in a heartbeat) think about how you can add value to your DVD with polished interactive menus, specials features and trailers.

If you have ever tried to copy a [well-designed] commercial DVD, you'll quickly realize that the time and effort required to replicate all of that added-value, can quickly mount up, often just making buying the legit disk the most sensible option.

Admittedly this is more the case with people just making a one off copy. If you really think that your work will be the victim of high volume pirates, then you might have reason to worry.

If you are less worried about disk to disk copying e.g. you want to hinder the ripping of files for web sharing / P2P distribution. again, consider producing a really good value trailer, and making that freely available. That will help negate that threat and give you soem free marketing as well.

If you have very special interest material with a very high value/cost, then get to know your individual customers very well. If they have paid a lot, and know that you know them very well, then they have good reason not to abuse your IP.

Andrew Kimery October 26th, 2007 05:12 PM

AFAIK replicating your DVD at proper facility is the only way to enable the CSS encryption.

-A

Alessandro Garabaghi October 29th, 2007 08:29 AM

burn DVD9s, the average user wont know how to duplicate it or may not even have a DVD burner capable of doing DVD9s....

Costs more but could work .... of course given that its pretty simple to copy hollywood dvds i wouldnt waste my time.

Andrew Kimery October 29th, 2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Garabaghi (Post 766598)
burn DVD9s, the average user wont know how to duplicate it or may not even have a DVD burner capable of doing DVD9s....

Costs more but could work .... of course given that its pretty simple to copy hollywood dvds i wouldnt waste my time.

AFAIK most DVD ripping software has a "shrink to fit" kind of function to address such a problem since most "Hollywood" DVDS are dual layer.

-A

Alessandro Garabaghi October 29th, 2007 04:43 PM

yea im aware, just not too sure how average this "average" joe is ... i mean if he knows how to shrink and what not then i wouldnt waste my time, but ive seen some very AVERAGE computer users before...

Ervin Farkas October 30th, 2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery (Post 765512)
AFAIK replicating your DVD at proper facility is the only way to enable the CSS encryption. -A

Even older versions of Adobe Encore can apply CSS and ACS!

I tested it for fun and good old DVD Shrink threw hands up and reported sorry, can't decrypt... Nero on the other hand didn't care and copied the disk in a heartbeat.