DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   If you were to ask..(unofficial survey) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/11951-if-you-were-ask-unofficial-survey.html)

Mike Moncrief July 12th, 2003 11:58 AM

If you were to ask..(unofficial survey)

Hello,

Here is a theoretical question.If you were to burn 40 dvd's..
20 of them -R and 20 that were +R and gave them out to Joe Average public.. how many of them would be able to play the DVD's on their home DVD players ???

mike

K. Forman July 12th, 2003 12:12 PM

That is an impossible question to answer. While DVD -R is the more widely accepted format, there are too many other variables. Things like, actual media used, the burner you used, what program...

Mike Moncrief July 12th, 2003 01:16 PM

Hello,

I said it was a thoretical question..

assume that the DVD-R or DVD+ worked on your Set top DVD player..

mike

K. Forman July 12th, 2003 02:42 PM

I would still say that the -R format is the more widely accepted format. Things may have changed slightly since the last comparison test I read about 6-8 months ago.

Walter Matlock July 12th, 2003 02:50 PM

I have burned DVD's both -R and +R, and as long as the persons DVD player is rather recent (under 2 years old) I have had very few instances where the disc would not play. THe only exception is with Panasonic set top players, I seem to have more discs that won't play on them than any other brand I have experienced.

Mike Moncrief July 12th, 2003 04:06 PM

Hello,

Yes, Walter, i know what you mean about Panasonic.. i have similar experiences..

hey everyone that responded so far has been from Fl.. Interesting.. could it bee it so dam hot outside we are inside ?/

Mike

Walter Matlock July 12th, 2003 09:08 PM

The funny thing is I have burned DVD's on a panasonic burner, using panasonic media, and they still had problems.

Yes its way to hot outside

Arnaldo Paixao July 14th, 2003 02:52 AM

Hi Mike.

From my experience I would favour +R. A couple of hundred DVDs back I started using -R, and had the usual troubles: Older players that would refuse to play because thay were not "confortable" with recordable DVDs or others wich didn't like that particular brand. Than I slowly started to shift to +R, because at that time my -R recorder could only record at 1x and +R could do it at 2.4x. Also, +R media was coming down in price (even name brand). Since then, I'v been using +R with good results, can't remember that last time I had a player refusing to play.
Now, if you want 999,99% compatibility, the way to go is 3,95 Authoring discs and a Pioneer S-201 recorder. I have one and couple of blanks to solve the problem when anything else fails, but like I said, its a long time since I'v used it the last time.

Hope this helps and best regards.
Arnaldo

Walter Matlock July 14th, 2003 06:09 PM

I agree, +R seems to be the way to go at least for now. I have both a -R drive and a +R drive that I use regularly. I use the +R for distribution, and the -R I use for archiving because the drive also writes to DVD-RAM which is nice.

Arnaldo Paixao July 15th, 2003 02:08 AM

What about you Mike? Have you had any experience in this issue or are you still in the learning stage?

Best regards
Arnaldo

Mike Moncrief July 15th, 2003 02:28 AM

Hello,

I am still a newbie when it comes to DVD Authoring.. Just lurking to try and gain more knowledge..

mike

Arnaldo Paixao July 15th, 2003 04:33 AM

Ok.

Best regards
Arnaldo

Gints Klimanis July 15th, 2003 05:03 AM

Here's a DVD+RW compatibility chart.

//www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/compatibilitylist_dvdvideo.html

Gints Klimanis July 15th, 2003 05:07 AM

I've made about 100 DVD-Rs from about twelve different projects.
From my casual user survey, no one has trouble playing them, even on Sony Playstation 2 and XBox. One of my Apex DVD players has reduced Fast Forward/Fast Rewind capabilities while the other (newer) Apex has no such trouble. I've also read that
some players have trouble with various audio formats, so you need to do PCM audio (linear, 16-bit stereo, 48000 Hz) or AC3 for full compatibility. I read that the older Playstation units had
trouble with MPEG1 Layer II audio at bitrates other than 384 kbps,
so stick to that if you're going for audio compression.

Gints Klimanis July 15th, 2003 05:09 AM

Here's the link on Playstation compatibility:

http://www.dvdlab.co.uk/

Burning DVD's for PS2 Playback

The later your version of PS2, the more likely you are to be able to burn and watch DVD's successfully. This is mainly due to improvements in the laser since the PS2 was released. The following should help you indentify your PS2 version number.

Look at the serial number on the back of the PS2
The following is breakdown of versions

version 1 = starts with "U1" and has 10 case screws.
version 2 = starts with "U0" and has 10 case screws.
version 3 = starts with "U2" and has 10 case screws.
version 4 = starts with 'U3' 'U4' 'U5' or a 'U6' and has a total of 8 case screws.
version 5 = contains the letter 'R' at the end (example SCPH-30001 R).
version 7 = 3900X is the new PS2 Version 7

Media Compatibility is reported to be as follows:
Version 1 - Basic Playstation 1&2 Games no dvd-r,dvd-rw compatibility, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY
Version 2 - Basic Playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r,dvd-rw compatibility, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY
Version 3 - Basic Playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r, compatibility, NO DVD+R, NO DVD-RW,NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY
Version 4 - Basic Playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatibility, NO DVD-RW, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY
Version 5 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatability, MILD DVD-RW, MILD DVD+R, MILD DVD+RW COMPATABILITY
VERSION 7 - (SECOND GENERATION PS2) Basic playstation 1&2 Games DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-R,DVD+RW compatability