DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   is it futile to output a decent dvd from Movie Maker? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/129046-futile-output-decent-dvd-movie-maker.html)

Chris Light August 30th, 2008 10:30 PM

is it futile to output a decent dvd from Movie Maker?

I capture HDV from my Canon XH-A1 to Movie Maker in Vista...yeah, I know....blew the budget on the camera. haha.

anyway, since i don't know how Movie Maker encodes or decodes, I'm rather unimpressed with the look of my finished DVDs. I capture by choosing "Windows HD 1080p" setting, which makes my clips look great in preview and playback in WMP, even on a 1440x900 discount lcd, i just cant figure out settings i would use for my dvd to not look pixelated and blurry.

i downloaded the "fddshow" codec to encode on output, but the settings are so confusing and redundant throughout, and there's no help menu, and very little advice on these boards, other than "it's a great codec"...i'm just wondering if i can make this codec, or any other, work with what i have until i get a better NLE. i'm not new to camera, but i'm new to doing my own editing at home. help! haha

thanks for reading!

Chris

Tripp Woelfel August 31st, 2008 06:11 PM

Free software is never quite worth what you paid for it. I haven't looked at WMM in a couple of years since I did a video for beginners project. It was basically junk then and probably isn't much better now.

If WMM supports the HDV format, and it sounds like it does, the captured video shouldn't be any different than what's on your tape. Capture shouldn't be a problem but you might be better served by using HDVSplit. It's free and it actually works.

You might want to investigate some of the budget editing programs. Nero 8 has an editor that doesn't totally suck. If you're not a Nero customer, subscribe to their newsletter and they'll hip you to the specials that they run pretty regularly. I think they're running a special now for something just north of $60.

I think there are two things conspiring against you in your DVD output. First, WMM gives you no way to color correct your footage (as I recall from the old version). If you don't care about being broadcast legal, you'll want to pull down your blacks in most cases. At least I do with my A1. Secondly, the MPEG encoder in WMM is probably crap. That'll kill your quality and a heartbeat. Look for a better encoder. I've used Nero's encoder for years on SD footage and I've been pleased with the results.

FWIW.

Chris Light August 31st, 2008 11:53 PM

thank you for the reply!...definately some good info...i'm going to be trying to find a better encoder while i am using WMM, but when i'm ready to upgrade, it'll likely be to NewTek's SpeedEdit....i haven't heard one negative comment about it (atleast as it pertains to what i'm using it for.)...so i just need to find something that gives me better output to DVD for now.....

have you used "ffdshow" encoder?

Mike Gunter September 1st, 2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Light (Post 927580)
thank you for the reply!...definately some good info...i'm going to be trying to find a better encoder while i am using WMM, but when i'm ready to upgrade, it'll likely be to NewTek's SpeedEdit....i haven't heard one negative comment about it (atleast as it pertains to what i'm using it for.)...so i just need to find something that gives me better output to DVD for now.....

have you used "ffdshow" encoder?

Hi,

Naturally, SpeedEdit does do DVDs... ;-)

You might look into Vegas and DVD Architect, great products. A lot depends upon your budget and what your expectations are and what you shot.

HDV isn't a particularly difficult format, but with with what you've sunk in the camera, you likely want to spend a bit more to get the fullness of the value out of the enjoyment of what you have.

SpeedEdit is a nice program, but you will need a good encoder. TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Product Information is a great encoder at a good price. DVD authoring and burning software: Ulead DVD MovieFactory - Home is a excellent authoring program (it has encoding ability, too, but it isn't stellar). If you cost everything out, you'll see that you can get some things by going in other directions.

BTW, all these packages come in demos you can try before you buy except for SpeedEdit.

My best,

Mike

Mike Gunter September 1st, 2008 07:26 AM

Oh,

And don't forget Premiere Elements... Great program.

Mike