DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   "artificing" during output stages FCP to DVD studio pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/139615-artificing-during-output-stages-fcp-dvd-studio-pro.html)

David Carter December 14th, 2008 10:50 AM

"artificing" during output stages FCP to DVD studio pro

I'm attempting to prepare a short film for output and am experiencing some problems. I am editing on a mac in final cut pro for export in DVD studio pro.

The film was shot on 1 camera in 720p and on a second at 1080i (this was an operator error at the shoot stage). I have de-interlaced all the camera b 1080i footage on the time line and within that timeline I have also done a few "reframing" moments. When I output the film for DVD in H264 codec I am getting a lot of artificing on fast moments of camera b. Especially on the reframed shots.

Can some one suggest a solution? I am preparing to do some tests but have little time and a lead from this forum would be very useful.

Thanks in advance (any help will be credited on the DVD!) I have not used DVD studio pro before and have little knowledge of these end of line processes, initial test dics have been burned on toast not DVD studio pro. As a FCP user I am of limited experience so there may well be an obvious solution. Please help!

Carter

David Carter December 15th, 2008 04:16 AM

still working on this, anyone offer advice or a lead?

I've been doing deinterlacing tests and burning small sections to dvd but getting no where fast.

Michael Wisniewski December 15th, 2008 06:28 AM

Are you creating an SD-DVD or are you trying to playback HD video on a DVD?

[EDIT]Try using VBR 2-pass. If you're video is short, you could also try using CBR at a max setting. I'd avoid de-interlacing, especially if you're making an interlaced SD-DVD. There are several workflows out there that suggest rendering out to uncompressed first then using Compressor to create the mpeg-2 or h264 file can improve the results.

David Carter December 17th, 2008 08:36 AM

Thanks for the follow up Michael, I am creating an HD file for DVD. I did a series of tests on codecs and with other threads on this forum have found some solutions. I cant access the mac at the moment to get the exact details of what Ive done as its rendering a fairly large graded project but I moved codecs to HDV 720p 25fps and on another project to the DVC pro 50 frame setting. I stopped using H264 which was only initially used as it was easily transferable to my friends laptop which wasnt liking the quicktime files for effects work. Playing around with the field dominance section which is now firmly set to none and ditching deinterlacing filters which I'd thought were the only option I had at the time of the original post has solved the issues I was having.

Have great christmas and new year, I will update the thread with a link to the project to tie things up.

Carter
ickleflix.com

David Carter December 30th, 2008 04:14 AM

this wasnt the end of the problems btw, but it solved many of them.

Desperately trying to put this project to bed now by creating a DVd with all three films on it, and have understood a few issues which came up. I'm not certain I won't face similar problems again in the future as my lack of knowledge on end of line processes like DVD production will always be an issue. I'm now facing aspect related issues on pc's and mac's with some footage and not with others, but thats a problem for another thread I feel.

The Way will be online as soon as i can have my website up and running.

David Carter December 31st, 2008 09:57 AM

Oh for the love of god! I'm still having issues here and its devastating and frankly angering me to see that after all my trial and error the burning of 20 or so test discs and the solving of so many issues that I still cant print to DVD in a quality that works well and shows as 16.9 on all devices. I chucked the towel in on DVD studio pro as it just wasnt playing ball and have achieved near perfect success with idvd - I'm resolved to the seeming fact that mac produced discs are not liked by many devices and will not despite my best efforts play as 16.9 on pcs or indeed on macs.

If anyone out there feels they can offer a specific workflow route for me to achieve my goal of printing a good idvd disc that will play in the proper aspect, now would be the time to reply to this thread.

I have tried as avi's in best quality which look very bad by the time they get on to a tv and with virtually every other quicktime output solution that FCP offers. I've had it.

Shaun Roemich December 31st, 2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carter (Post 986643)
If anyone out there feels they can offer a specific workflow route for me to achieve my goal of printing a good idvd disc that will play in the proper aspect, now would be the time to reply to this thread.

In DVDSP, check to see if:
Under Outline tab, select the Track you have the media on. In the Inspector, there should be a Display option. Select 16:9 Letterbox.

Let me know how that works.

David Carter December 31st, 2008 02:06 PM

Sorry Im using iDVD, not DVDSP. I'm too far down the line to go back to studio pro. I simply dont know that programme at all, so I cant waste time getting to grips with it and reformatting my projects etc. This is specifically an iDVD question, thanks anyway
ps time is now the absolute factor I need this disc now hence the last ditch attempts for info on forums. am in teh process of burning a further test disc. can the meta tags be edited - thats where the issue lies?

David Carter January 3rd, 2009 02:54 PM

I'm closing this thread, not much use keeping it up here. Sorry folks if you find this in the future and have the same problem, no great solutions. Failure would be the best way to put it. I've missed the deadline, wasted more than a week almost full time on these and associated issues, and moved on with life.

Just go to DVD studio pro (as others have suggested elsewhere and I have now begun to do for future projects) when you don't have a deadline and learn how it works. Control over these processes is the best way out. iDVD although very easy to use for general stuff just doesn't offer the control you need.

If you abolutely have to use idvd, export as an avi - but you may find you have an interlace problem with the end product - that said it will at least play as the right shape on most devices.

THREAD DEAD.