DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Putting a Password on a DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/21065-putting-password-dvd.html)

Tim Frank February 8th, 2004 11:28 PM

Putting a Password on a DVD

Is there a concievable way to add a password that somebody would have to enter with a remote before they started the DVD? Its not what you think it is I'm putting on a DVD, I have a commercial with "sensitive" information that I'd just rather have security of knowing I can access it and those who I give the code to can. Its not a huge deal, but I was just wondering if it can be easily done.

The only way I can think of is set the DVD payer to have to enter a code at a certain rating of the DVD, and then somehow tell the DVD that its rated R or something liek that. Don't know how you'd do it though and it wouldn't prevent somebody from playing it on another system.

Julian Luttrell February 9th, 2004 03:54 AM

Tim,

there is no foolproof way of doing this - somebody could always rip the disc and go through it VOB by VOB to see all the content.

Having said that, you can make it difficult for everyone else by using hidden buttons or suchlike (it all depends on what your authoring software lets you do).

For example: add another 6 (say) buttons to one of your menu screens. Make these so there is no cue on screen that they exist (no text, image, etc), and so that they do not highlight in any way when they are selected. Then link these together in a _difficult_ way - so there is only one sequence of left/right/up/down key hits that will take you from the first to the second to ... to the sixth. Then link the sixth to your secret content. Now just tell your favoured people what key sequence to use.

Hope this helps,

Julian

Adam Burtle February 9th, 2004 04:18 AM

I think Julian has the right idea. make a main "visible" video file button that goes to a generic clip stating stuff about your company, etc. that makes the DVD look like any other pedestrian promo disc. then the difficult button combo that links to the hidden video files.

Peter Moore February 9th, 2004 07:39 AM

It can't be done easily, but it can be done with creative use of the buttons as Julian suggested. DVDs also have an assembly language that advanced authoring programs can utilize. You can also display a keypad of numbers on the screen and set it to play only when the correct sequence has been entered. You'd need to use the registers for this, and so you'd need something like Maestro or Scenarist.

But like someone else said they can always rip the disk, extremely easily if you're not using CSS, and pretty easily even if you are.

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2004 08:05 AM

For a good example on how to make getting to a movie (or in this
case extra's) really really hard go pick up the Special Edition DVD
of Memento [the two disc version with the nice casing].

This will drive anyone insane (if you don't know the combinations)
and this is a "normal" movie!

And for everyone who is "lost" in that DVD set, get your dungeon
map here so you can print it out and put it in the DVD case.

The advice given here is very good advice, hidden buttons on
multiple menu's liking all over the place. Don't forget to write
the instructions on how to use it down somewhere though! <g>

Julian Luttrell February 9th, 2004 08:40 AM

Rob,

I haven't seen this memento DVD, but having seen (and loved) the film, it would be a _perfect_ case for imaginative DVD work!

Julian

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2004 09:13 AM

Exactly. Since you loved the movie do check out the special
edition DVD or at least follow the link to get an impression what's
on it and how it works.

Julian Luttrell February 16th, 2004 03:17 PM

Memento

Rob,

just got my copy of the special edition 2 disc set (shame it's NTSC only - some of the scenes don't convert well on my player/tv combination).

I see what you mean...

Julian

Rob Lohman February 17th, 2004 04:08 AM

That's irritating that it's only available in NTSC indeed. I have that
version as well. Luckily my TV can handle NTSC without any
problems at all!

Happy hunting around the new treasure chest! <g>

Jake Russell February 19th, 2004 10:05 AM

You need to enter a code to see the interactive version of 'My Little Eye'.

What are you using to author? Check this link:

http://www.dvdstudiopro.ch/english/S...ng/access.html

Jake

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2004 06:01 AM

The "problem" with this solution is that it requires scripting in
the authoring application. To the best of my knowledge the
only applications that support this, are:

PC:
- Sonic Scenarist
- DVD Maestro (not available anymore, Apple bought it, see below)

Apple:
- DVD Studio Pro

The only "affordable" package of these "two" is DVDSPro from
Apple. So if you have that you can do a lot of cool stuff with
DVD programming & scripting.

Jake Russell February 20th, 2004 06:17 AM

Ok sorry I didn't realise scripting wasn't an option. I just though it quite obvious that scripting would be needed for that type of thing. I guess the hidden button technique is the best move then.

You can still get Maestro, used, but you can still get it and it's a good choice for dvd production houses.

Scripting support is also availiable to:

Mac:
-Sonic DVD Fusion LE
-Sonic DVD Fusion SE
-TFDVDEdit 2(which adds it to any app)

PC:
I'm not sure if scripting is part of Sonic DVD Producer but most features are upgradeable on Sonic apps.

And further to Tim's first post yes parental controls can be used with dvd's but as you said it's not really any kind of safeguard,

Jake

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2004 07:00 AM

Well, I'm not saying it isn't an option, I'm merely stating that not
a whole lot of authoring packages support it. Basically none on
the PC (too expensive). But if you have access to it then it would
definitely be the best way to do this, especially if you combine
it with multiple menus (harder to reverse engineer).

Julian Luttrell February 20th, 2004 07:04 AM

DVD Producer supports limited access to scripting (but not directly), but does not support access to GPRMS (the variable registers). So, at first sight, you can't do the DSP example.

But you can if you try. Instead of storing the number of correct digits in a variable, you build a (large) number of menus.

Menu1 = on entry, so no digits selected.
If select the right first digit and press enter then go to a menu that you ONLY reach if the correct first button has been pressed - this menu looks identical to the first with the correct number highlit (forced button selection), exactly as menu 1 looked when you left it. Call this menu 2.

There are also menus which are the destinations corresponding to each of the wrong button presses, one for each wrong button with that wrong button highlit so it all looks nice and seamless. These menus will go nowhere interesting..

Then introduce menu 3, like menu 2 but for the second right digit - only accessible from menu 2 of course.

Then a "goal!" menu, menu 4, only accessible from menu 3.

If you string these together correctly, you will have a PIN check menu. It will be difficult to change if the client wants to change the PIN (unlike a scripted solution), but hey, this is an exercise isn't it?

Julian