DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Inkjet costs are too much (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/293496-inkjet-costs-too-much.html)

Dana Salsbury August 18th, 2009 11:04 AM

Inkjet costs are too much

Does anyone know of a color laser printer that prints to inkjet-ready DVDs? I cannot believe how often I have to change ink on my Epson -- and it's pricey!

Ivan Snoeckx August 18th, 2009 01:07 PM

I'm not aware of such a printer, because otherwise I already got on.

At the moment I'm using a Q-Flow continue ink-flow system. Such a system is much cheaper then cartridges. For an example see the links below (not my system, bought it from a local computer store).

Continuous Ink / Flow Systems (CISS) Save on Ink and Printing Costs on all of Your Prints

Continuous Flow Systems - Inksupply.com

Hope this helps!

Jason Lowe August 18th, 2009 01:34 PM

Can't help you there, but would love to have one myself, even if the cost in the long run is just as bad, thanks to the high cost of toner cartridges.

I'm going to bet that such a thing would be unworkable because of the nature of laser printing.

Dana Salsbury August 18th, 2009 05:33 PM

Very possible. I just ordered six bottles of ink with syringes for refilling the Epson cartridges. I hope the ink doesn't look funky.

Shaun Roemich August 18th, 2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Lowe (Post 1239187)
even if the cost in the long run is just as bad, thanks to the high cost of toner cartridges.

Side note: price-per-page is MUCH lower on laser printers, although this won't feel like it when you have to replace a bunch of toner cartridges at much higher cost than ink cartridges. (Of course, this is in reference to printing on normal laser-friendly consumables like paper; I'm pretty sure that laser printers for discs aren't possible/available at this point in time).

Dana Salsbury August 19th, 2009 07:23 AM

I figured so...it makes me feel better that I have the best printer available.

Remind me to post on how the ink bottles turned out. I'm nervous, but we'll see.

Taky Cheung August 20th, 2009 10:29 AM

I have been using those Continous Ink system (CIS) for 2 years now. It saves me lots of money in buying expensive ink. You have to do a little DIY to install the CIS but after that, you can print all you want without worrying about cost.

You can read about it in this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/distribut...ml#post1242953

I was using Epson RX680, R280 and now Epson Artisan 50 printers. Print on TY watersheild DVD. The output is lovely!

Dana Salsbury August 20th, 2009 12:32 PM

Oh praise God. Someone else didn't recommended it. At least now I have a 50/50 shot! ;o)

Taky Cheung August 20th, 2009 12:51 PM

I was skeptical about it first. The first vendor I tried their ink was really bad and color was very inaccurate. Also, the printer always report unrecognized ink cartridges.

also, make sure you order Dye based ink not pigment ink. I compared side by side with the print out with the original epson ink cartridges, there is no visible difference at all.

Like I said in the other thread, get the Costco Kirkland brand photo paper. You will start to print everything in low cost =)

Bryan Daugherty August 20th, 2009 02:53 PM

I had a very bad experience using refill kits. The ink was very low quality and the image suffered severely. I typically watch companies like SuperMediaStore and a few others and when they have bulk sales I order my ink in bulk. Last time (April? I think) I got 2 full sets of all six colors (12 cartridges) for around $37 or what it would cost me to buy 2 cartridges at my local office supply.

I will have to look into that continuous ink system mentioned above, that sounds even better...

Ran a quick check and they are currently selling remanufactured sets for $42 for 2 full sets 12-Pack Epson T048 (T048120-T048620) Remanufactured Inkjet/Ink Cartridges Combo (Two each: T048120, T048220, T048320, T048420, T048520, T048620) for Epson Stylus Photo R200, R300, RX500, RX600 Inkjet Printers