DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   CD/DVD Printer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/30918-cd-dvd-printer.html)

Arnaldo Paixao August 24th, 2004 08:29 AM

CD/DVD Printer

Hi all.

Would apreciate your comments, opinions, experience, tips, advice, and so on, regarding maker and model of CD/DVD printers for small quantity jobs (Epson, Canon and the likes).

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Nick Jushchyshyn August 24th, 2004 12:58 PM

I'm lovin' my relativley new Epson R200.
Besides doing a really nice job on discs, it also prints fantastic photos. New workhorse of my office really.

Giroud Francois August 24th, 2004 02:01 PM

i have made a lot of search about the R200 and the I865.
Here are the results.

The epson is cheaper but has lots of disadvantages
it is only usb 1 while the canon is usb2
it is a slow printer the canon is faster
the tray seems better on canon
the head is removable on canon, not on epson. In case of problem you just need to change the head on canon.
Both model are Continuous Flow upgradable (see weink.com)
The canon has a better output (but on DVD the quality is medium since you need very special paper to get the best quality).
Text quality is better on canon
Both have templates in SureThing (the best program to print CDs) but epson has more ready made templates.
The canon has a special tray for photo paper (small size) that seems very convenient.
The canon has the memory slot that are available only on the r300 not on the r200
The canon is bulkier on the desktop
The only problem with canon seems it is not available in USA.

Arnaldo Paixao August 25th, 2004 03:14 AM

Thank you.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Patrick King August 25th, 2004 07:45 PM

In practice, USB2.0 is definately a factor in external hard drives, but is not a factor whatsoever in a printer. The transfer speed of the USB1.0 is MUCH faster than all but the fastest printer. Don't let USB1.0 scare you away. The R200 is a capable $95 printer. If you expect more, pay for more. It works well for me and performs as advertized.

Of note for those of you interested in printing directly to disk instead of to labels, a fact I didn't know until I bought and used my R200: the ink takes 24 hours to dry. A full 24 hours...step away from the disk!

Aaron Koolen August 25th, 2004 10:50 PM

I can't compare the two, but I am very happy with my Canon i865. For this price in a 4 ink printer, the photo printing is great. And the first time I printed to DVD I was amazed. Solid, fast, just plug in and go.

Aaron

Dan Euritt August 26th, 2004 06:17 PM

i use the epson stylus photo 900 for printing on dvd discs... i've done over 600 of 'em so far.

printing full coverage on either disc or paper(box cover) will consume ink like a drunken sailor on shore leave consumes booze, lol... a buck a disc for full coverage(??).

i've also printed thousands of vhs/dvd box covers on epson printers... they really put it to you when it comes to buying ink... and the ink useage goes way up because the printer has it's own nozzle cleaning schedule, whether it's needed or not.

epson inkjets also require frequent manual nozzle cleaning, because they tend to clog up for no apparent reason... do a search on google, you'll see what i mean.

the latest trick is to put a chip on every ink cartridge, so that the cartridge can't be re-filled... the chip communicates with the printer.

i never heard of the ink taking 24 hours to dry, tho... i stack 'em up as they get printed, no problem.

i would be looking real hard at the canon.

Jake Russell August 27th, 2004 03:16 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Patrick King : ... the ink takes 24 hours to dry. A full 24 hours...step away from the disk! -->>>

Yeah it only takes a few moments with the R300. Never used the Canon but sounds good!

Jake

Peter Jefferson September 3rd, 2004 11:26 AM

the i865 is no longer in production, but the new ip3000 or is it 4000?? i cant remember now is the replacement which offers the same type of quality... if not a wee bit better..
much smaller too

Linc Kesler September 3rd, 2004 02:24 PM

I would like to put some very basic labeling information on a set of disks I am producing (like series title, vol 1, vol 2, etc). I would just like the disks to be identifiable when they are out of their case. It's part of an academic project so it needs to be neat, but not flashy.

Last time I checked, using Sharpie markers was thought to cause eventual degradation of the disks, as well as not looking too professional, and stick-on labels were thought to cause balance problems on playback. Have opinions changed on any of that?

The alternative of buying printable disks and a printer is not out of the question for me, but I'd avoid it if I could.

Thanks in advance for your information and opinions.

Linc Kesler

Christopher Lefchik September 22nd, 2004 02:49 PM

The following Canon models print directly on CD/DVD (click on a name for details):

i905D
i965
i9950
iP3000
iP4000

List prices are on this page (Australian dollars).

Interestingly, while the Canon Australia site lists CD/DVD printing as a feature of these printers, the Canon US site does not (only the two iP models are available in the US). Has anyone here in the US used the iP3000 or iP4000 models to print directly on CD/DVD? I wonder if it is just an over site, or if a special tray and software for direct CD/DVD printing is for some strange reason not included with the printers sold in the US.

I might be interested in getting one of these Canon printers in the future, but being in the US I’m not sure if the models sold here include the CD/DVD printing capability.

Christopher

Michael Wisniewski September 23rd, 2004 02:52 PM

What the $%#??? Looks like I'll be buying my printer overseas.

Reply from Canon USA
-------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Wisniewski,

Thank you for writing to us.

Unfortunately, the ip3000 and the ip4000 printer does not have the direct cd/dvd printing feature. Only the overseas model have that feature.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Janice
Product Support Representative
-------------------------------------------

Christopher Lefchik September 24th, 2004 02:31 PM

This is strange. I called Canon USA about the iP4000. The rep said that the CD/DVD printing is not available, that Canon isn’t going down that road. Something about copyright fees.

Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable place to purchase one of these Canon models overseas?

Christopher

Arnaldo Paixao September 27th, 2004 02:39 AM

"Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable place to purchase one of these Canon models overseas?"

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products.asp

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Aaron Koolen September 27th, 2004 03:59 AM

Yes, I think it's Epson has a patent on that in the US. I got the same answer when I was going to purchase from the US. In the end I found one in New Zealand. www.ascent.co.nz. Good prices (For NZ) and pretty good service - dunno if they will send overseas.

Aaron

Christopher Lefchik September 27th, 2004 12:43 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. It would make sense that Canon can't sell their printers with the CD/DVD printing if Epson has a U.S. patent on it.

Christopher

Marcia Janine Galles October 1st, 2004 04:31 PM

Just thought I'd add my .02 in case anyone else is in the market in the States and reading this post (like I was a few days ago). The Canon may not be available here, but I just picked up the Epson R300 at Costco, and it does a beautiful job of printing to DVD. I took a still from my film, printed it to sliver inkjet printable discs, and ya know, on the whole, it's a pretty classy look. Admittedly it's not as deep and rich in color as the studio released DVD's my kids have sitting around the house. But for a $139 printer, when what I need to do is send out preview copies for my doc, I couldn't be happier. And contrary to an earlier post about the Epson's, my discs are dry to the touch almost immediately.
All the best,
Marcia

Allen Brodsky October 5th, 2004 10:15 AM

Marcia,
Do you know if the R300 has any advantages over the R200 for printing on DVDs/CDs?

Rick Spilman October 8th, 2004 07:25 AM

I am very impressed by my R200. I paid about $100 for it which included roughly $60 worth of ink. So far my results have been great. It is not a production printer but for small batches of DVDs it is just fine.

Marcia Janine Galles October 8th, 2004 01:08 PM

Allen, I really couldn't say. Your best bet is probably comparing stats on the company web page. Basically I just ran across the R300 at Costco and didn't look any further. I was in a time crunch. I was there... it was there. I doubt the CD/DVD print function is any different, though. The 300 has a compact flash slot in the side, and pop in spot for other card media, for ease of printing photos (which has nothing to do with why I bought it). It could be those "extras," but I'm just guessing.

Marcia

Allen Brodsky October 9th, 2004 11:44 AM

Rick, Marcia,
Thanks for the replies!
-- Allen

Bill Keen October 9th, 2004 11:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : I am very impressed by my R200. I paid about $100 for it which included roughly $60 worth of ink. So far my results have been great. It is not a production printer but for small batches of DVDs it is just fine. -->>>

same here. I've been suitably impressed by the quality from my R200. Price is right. Definitely a great investment for me and paid for itself in terms of "professional" appearances after the first wedding job I used it on.

Martin Archer-Shee November 6th, 2004 06:02 AM

Cd/DVD printing

I too would like to print my CD's/DVD's. I have the Epson 2200, which in Europe is the 2100. in Europe they have a CD/DVD tray included but not in North America. Pity. I do not believe there is any difference between the machines. you can not get the tray in NA.
I use a Lyson CIS for my ink and thus do not worry about ink usage (as much).

Does any one have a 2100 and not need/want their tray. If so how about selling at a reasonable price? presently I am making a caddy out of cardboard but would rather have the right equipment.

thanks
Martin

pS About clogging. I have had NO trouble with the 2200 even after not printing for 3-4 weeks.

Lars Siden November 12th, 2004 02:32 PM

Canon Pixma 5000 *the king*

Hi,

Got my Pixma 5000 two days ago - and I must say that I'm VERY impressed!

* Great price
* Relatively cheap to buy new ink-cartridges ( 5 pcs )
* Prints a 10x15cm ( or 4x6 inches :-) 9600dpi photo in less than 40 seconds
* Prints fullsize A4(letter?) full photo quality in about 1 minute
* Prints beautifully on CD / DVD
* Directprint via Pictbridge(USB) interface
* DUAL paperfeeding cases: one for photo paper and one for standard A4 paper + CD/DVD tray
* Very good and easy to operate driver
* Nice included software
* Prints fine on Canon, Epson, Konica paper...

Cons:
- quite big ( but it can be placed towards a wall )
- Manual is really poor
- No memorycard reader

I'm am extremely satisfied!

// Lazze \\

ps. I use included SW for DVD/CD printing and Nero's label program for jewel boxes ds.

Kaleem Maxwell November 13th, 2004 10:25 PM

Quote:

The rep said that the CD/DVD printing is not available, that Canon isn’t going down that road. Something about copyright fees.
Yes, I heard that it had something to do with patents in the americas. So, basically you'll have to import the printer.

Has anyone from the US or Canada done this? Has anyone imported a Canon Printer with the CD/DVD print feature? How was the experince?

FYI, I heard with the Epson printers is that if you don't use it often, the print heads may get clogged often.

Mark Williams November 14th, 2004 09:43 AM

I have had the Epson R300 for a year now and although I like the print results on a CD and the CD design software is good, it has a few negatives including.

- Hogs ink.
- CD print tray sometimes needs a little nudge to get it to feed in correctly.
- Color photo print quality is just ok.

On the other hand I also have a canon i850 and it produces some of the best photo prints I have ever seen and conserves ink. So if there is a canon outside the US that prints on a CD that I could get my hands on I would appreciate any info. on the process.

Regards,

Mark

Gints Klimanis November 15th, 2004 05:53 PM

>The Canon may not be available here, but I just picked up the >Epson R300 at Costco, and it does a beautiful job of printing to >DVD. I took a still from my film, printed it to sliver inkjet printable >discs,

Marcia,

Do you prefer the look of the silver or white inkjet printable disks ? I've only tried the white disks.

Marcia Janine Galles November 27th, 2004 10:22 AM

Gints, sorry to be so long in responding. Have been swamped getting my web site ready and trailer cut. I've actually never used the white discs, only the silver ones. I've been meaning to pick up some white ones to check out how what I think of them. I bought the silver ones online, in a bulk size for what worked out to around .45 ea. I thought they'd look classier. Will pick up some white ones and let you know. I think the silver look very professional, but I'm curious if the white background would make the colors richer. The silver make them seem a little translucent, which I've seen on some rental DVD's. To get the richer, more solid, printed look I suspect takes a different printer technology, as opposed to the kind of disc. How would you describe how the white ones?

Marcia

Giroud Francois November 27th, 2004 05:41 PM

the final look of ink (specially black) can be improved easily.
When your DVD comes out of the printer with wet ink, it looks great. Black is black and color ar vibrant.
When ink is dried, black turns to some dark grey and colors becomes weak.
If you apply a layer of lacker , all goes back to life, and the bonus is your ink is protected from wet finger.
see http://www.cdspray.com
they send pack of 12 spray for very cheap.

Marcia Janine Galles November 27th, 2004 09:05 PM

Wow Giroud, what a great tip. Thanks!

Allen Brodsky November 28th, 2004 09:46 AM

Following the link, this product doesn't appear to be available in the US, and apparently was designed for CDs.
Is there a US source, and has this been used on DVDs with no problems?

Antony Quintin December 19th, 2004 06:16 PM

What DVDs can you print on?

Hello guys

I am from the UK, what DVD discs can you print on to?

I am thinking of investing in the Epson R200 cuz my bro got one and it prints PERFECT photo pics.

But what good DVD disc (good for export of video) and good for printing onto is the right discs to buy?

cheers

A

Vic Owen December 20th, 2004 11:45 AM

There are several -- my current favorite is RitekG03 4X ink jet printables. I have yet to get a coaster (burned at 1X). They look great in the R200. You can find them for around $0.47 or so. See this link:

http://dvdguides.atspace.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Antony Quintin December 20th, 2004 01:49 PM

thank you vic

Giroud Francois December 22nd, 2004 09:19 AM

the spray is good for protecting anything you can think of.
I used it on CD, DVD, paper, glossy paper. it worked well and even 3 minutes after coming out of my canon i865 it does not hurt the ink. You could probably find such product in graphic shop like ink fixer spray.

Arnaldo Paixao December 22nd, 2004 09:33 AM

Hi Giroud.

I have my yes set on a Canon i865. Are you happy with it? Any tricks you can share?

Can you please give the name of the spray?

Best regards.
Arnaldo

Giroud Francois December 22nd, 2004 05:17 PM

look at www.cdspray.com

no trick to share as in fact the printer works very well without any needed trick.
Using surething CD/DVD labeler software to print.

Cliff Elliott December 26th, 2004 12:02 AM

DVD Printer

Hi everyone, I recently went through an exhaustive search for a printer that would perform a proffesional printed look onto the face of DVDs and CDs.

The printer I ended up purchaising was a Canon IP5000.
This printer is a hoot, it performs perfectly and is a fabulous photo printer to boot.

I recently produced a video of a Dance studio and sold 50 copies of a two disk DVD set which meant I had to print 100 copies, every copy was perfect and the process was painless.

I see by comments earlier in the thread that Canon are not selling there printers complete with the DVD/CD printing function.

I can recomend a company here in Australia who sells the printer, they are Landmark Computers, their web site is http://www.lmc.com.au/

At the moment they are shut for Christmas but you can download a pdf file detailing their products for sale.

Hope this is of help to you guys in the U.S.

By the way a neat little trick to make your designs for DVD/CD faces more proffesional looking is to download the Photoshop template from the fellows http://www.fellowes.com/TechSupport.aspx
You will have to register but it will cost you nothing.

Use this template in Photoshop crop the picture to one disk as the template is designed for a two disk print out on their sticker sheets.

Design your disk face using the power of layers and masks, when finished remove all masked layers then save as a BMP file.

Using the utility print program that comes with the Canon IP5000 printer, import the BMP picture, you may have to scale the picture a little but it will fit perfectly into the disk layout, then print to disk.

The results are truly amazing.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Arnaldo Paixao January 10th, 2005 05:13 AM

CD/DVD Printer

Hi all.

Ended buying a Canon iP4000 based on the opinions expressed here. Very happy with it. Thank you all for your help.

Best regards.
Arnaldo

Moe Belli January 16th, 2005 07:22 PM

Just picked up a Primera Z1 for $140 and love it.

I can't be bothered with inkjets, I usually do short runs of 2-10 discs and constantly looking for a cheap, fast way to print them. Inkjet printing and spraying a lacquer sounds like lots of work for me. On longer runs, I use a DVD duplication service for everything including printing cases and DVD's.

But on smaller runs, I've been stumped for a good dedicated DVD printer for fast, easy printing. The Primera Z1 fits the bill, man, love it. Sits right beside my keyboard.

Be warned though, it only prints at 200 dpi so it may not meet your standards and it's one color only, but for me, it sure beats writing with a sharpie.

MB