DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Printable DVD's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/37178-printable-dvds.html)

Jason Gatti January 2nd, 2005 07:17 PM

Printable DVD's

Are there any stores that sell printable DVD's? Or do you have to order them online? If you order them on-line what company has good prices? I've found a couple but was curious to see where else I can get them. Thanks.
It seems nobody makes a sticker system that will work on DVD's without the risk of them not working properly.
Also have you any experiences with printers? I've looked at an Epson that runs around $200 that seemed like a good printer for what I would need. Any other companies make one like Epson does?

Dave Ryan January 2nd, 2005 10:22 PM

I ordered DVDs from tapeandmedia.com (specifically FujiFilm inkjet printable DVD-R) and I use them on an Epson Photo R300, which can print directly to disk.

Mike Quinones January 2nd, 2005 10:58 PM

Jayson;
My local Sam's Club has the FujiFilm inkjet printable DVD-R for $35.00 or so. Check and see if there is a Sam's club in your neighborhood.

Jim Garrison January 3rd, 2005 12:22 AM

Try here from EVS: http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=94971

Allen Brodsky January 3rd, 2005 08:19 AM

Staples carries printable DVDs. Meritline is a good web-based supplier. I have not had any problems with DVDs with Neato labels applied using their applicator, although I now use the Epson R200 for direct printing.
In the US, AFAIK no other company sells an inexpensive printer with the CD/DVD print feature. Canon sells one in Europe, but does not sell it in the US. Primera makes CD/DVD printers, but they cost several hundred dollars and up. Also, Casio and Primera make devices that use thermal printing, and they each sell for around $130, but these products print in one color only.
You can purchase a refurb R200 directly from Epson's refurb store for under $80.

Mark Williams January 3rd, 2005 10:32 AM

You also may want to look into an emerging DVD burning and labeling device called Lightscribe which is being marketed by HP. The process uses a newly developed dvd disk which your burn your movie to then flip it over and an image can be burned into the presentation side of the disc.

If the disks and burner are both resonably priced then you could end up with one device that replaces two. And no more high priced ink buying.

Regards,

Mark

Dan Euritt January 3rd, 2005 06:53 PM

allmediaoutlet.com had an xmas sale going on taiyo yuden inkjet printables 8x's, $.69 each in lots of 100... my neighbor just picked up a new epson r300 for $114... the deals are out there, if you take the time to look.

George Ellis January 5th, 2005 02:13 PM

I use Meritline also. I prefer Ritek Ridata G05 hub printable media. The disc are around 50 cents each. The white on the disc is around 84 as a rough guess.

They also have cases, case liners, mailing jackets, and a software app for printing the jackets.

Mark Williams January 6th, 2005 09:28 AM

Looks like Lightscribe is finally here.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1748462,00.asp

Gints Klimanis January 21st, 2005 06:15 PM

I've been waiting for this, as its probably less of a pain than
printing with inkjets. I'd like to be able to have some sort of software print the disc contents and burn in one pass.
Lemme know if you spot any media for Lightscribe.

Paul Vlachos January 21st, 2005 06:18 PM

R200 Question

Are people who are using the R200, R300 or R320 happy with the ouput from them?

Mike Quinones January 22nd, 2005 05:24 PM

I Just pick up a pack of 50 DVD-R printable discs, inkjet printable with white surface at my Local Sam's Club again and this time I paid $22.00 dollards. This prices are falling fast. I can remember my first one was something like $22.00 dollars each.

Graham Geraghty February 14th, 2005 11:36 AM

I use an R200 with printable discs. I was happy with the quality of the printouts however I'm now even happier. Why? When the disc comes rolling out of the printer, I push the disc and holder back in without moving the disc and print over the image again, so it's basically a double coat. Quality really is brilliant, IMO. The discs actually have a slight gloss look to them. Make sure you don't move the disc after the first print or you'll make a mess!!!

Patrick King February 14th, 2005 03:14 PM

Graham,

I've got a R200 and couldn't be more pleased with it, but I'd not heard of reprinting a label. You've piqued my curiosity now and I'll be forced to print one that way tonight.

Had a friend ask how I liked my R200 and I said I highly recommended he buy one. He said he didn't like that the R200 was only USB1.1 and not USB2.0 so he spent the extra money to buy the R300. Time trial for printing a label was a dead heat, so I saved $$$.

When I buy my next set of ink cartridges, I'm going to buy an extra DVD/CD tray so that when I'm printing multiple labels in a row, I can quickly remove the printed one, insert the one I've prepped and resume printing.

Paul Vlachos February 14th, 2005 05:09 PM

I, too, love my new R200. I use it only for DVD and CDs, as I have other printers. I wanted something cheap that did this well and it fits the bill.

Just curious, where can you buy an extra Epson CD/DVD tray for it?

Maybe I'll check the Epson store online.