DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Amazing (and inexpensive) DVD printing solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/42273-amazing-inexpensive-dvd-printing-solution.html)

Ben Buie April 2nd, 2005 11:31 AM

Amazing (and inexpensive) DVD printing solution

If you need to burn and print your own DVDs, and you want to avoid coasters, have them playback in the majority of DVD players, and look professional, then I HIGHLY recommend the following combination of products:

1) Epson Stylus Photo R200 Inkjet printer

2) RiDATA 4x Inkjet printable DVD+R's w/ white finish
(Pack of 50, Model# DRD+47-4X-RDIW)

There is a certain computer vendor with "egg" in its name that has these for cheap, notably $23 for the DVDs and $89 for the printer.

The DVD's are very important. These discs have produced 0 coasters for us, they play in all the DVD players we've tried, and they have a very smooth printable surface that, and this is very important, doesn't smear (even less than 1 minute after printing). In addition, RiData is well known to be some of the highest quality discs you can get.

I also can't believe the quality of the DVD/CD prints from this <$100 printer. Text looks perfect, graphics look crisp, it is almost indistinguishable from expensive silk-screening. The smooth white surface of the discs gives the printer a solid base, so photos look great too.

Anyway, I rarely come on here and promote products, but I've tried various combinations and this is the first time I've actually found DVD burning/printing to be a) flawless, b) easy to use, c) fast, and at the same time d) appear to be professionally done.

Hope this helps people out!

Regards,

Ben

Ben Buie April 2nd, 2005 01:10 PM

small clarification

When I said it doesn't smear, I was talking about basic artwork and text.

However, if you have areas of a solid color (like black), or if the entire label is a photo/scan, then you will have to let the DVD sit a while (Epson recommends 24-hours, that is probably a bit drastic though) to avoid smearing / scratching.

For example, I downloaded a scan of the Matrix label (which is an edge to edge label), and when I printed it and handled it, my fingerprints were left all over the label, and some of the ink scratched off.

Not a big deal, just wanted to clarify what I said earlier.

As an aside, the only limitation of this printer (for DVDs / CDs) is I don't believe it will do a 100% edge to edge disc label, so you will see a 1/8th (more like 1/16th) inch white border around the edge of your disc if you are printing a solid background.

Benjamin Durin April 3rd, 2005 04:20 AM

Hey Ben,

I have the Epson R300 and I can print edge to edge without a white border. You just need to configure the software (Epson Print CD) to tell the radius you want.

Giroud Francois April 3rd, 2005 03:00 PM

i print on canon i865 and give a lacker spray one minute after, nothing bad happens.
i printed more than 150 DVD with a cartridge set.
With respect to material choosen, take in account that the compatibility between burner, media and software is more important than the quality of of each part alone.

Aaron Koolen April 3rd, 2005 03:19 PM

Giroud, never heard of laquering a disc. What sort of lacquer is the one to use? Is it sold in stationery shops?

Aaron

Ben Buie April 3rd, 2005 03:57 PM

Yes, I've heard of this laquer but I can't find a good source for it in the USA. All the places I've seen it at on-line are overseas for some reason.

Anyone know a good place to get it in the USA?

Ben

Aanarav Sareen April 3rd, 2005 04:05 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Buie : Yes, I've heard of this laquer but I can't find a good source for it in the USA. All the places I've seen it at on-line are overseas for some reason.

Ben -->>>

Walmart. I use Krylon Krystal Clear. Works like a charm!

Ben Buie April 3rd, 2005 04:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aanarav Sareen :

Walmart. I use Krylon Krystal Clear. Works like a charm! -->>>

Thanks! So is that basically the same stuff as the product at:

http://www.cdspray.com/

?

Didn't even think of Walmart, thanks again!

Ben

Aaron Koolen April 3rd, 2005 05:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aanarav Sareen : <<<-- Originally posted by Ben Buie : Yes, I've heard of this laquer but I can't find a good source for it in the USA. All the places I've seen it at on-line are overseas for some reason.

Ben -->>>

Walmart. I use Krylon Krystal Clear. Works like a charm! -->>>

Can you give some more info on that Krystal Klear stuff? I'm in New Zealand, No Walmart here, but if you can give me info, I could find something similar? Is it a "wood lacquer" or what?

What does it say on the bottle as it's "intended uses"?

Aaron

Aanarav Sareen April 3rd, 2005 05:38 PM

Take a look at this post over at videohelp.com

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252290&highlight=krylon

Greg Boston April 3rd, 2005 08:19 PM

Ben,

Got the R200 as a package deal with my Imac. I printed some DVDs with no border(edge to edge). FWIW, I used the software included with the printer. Thanks for the tips on quality media to use.

-gb-