DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   HD DVD, back to two formats again (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/49853-hd-dvd-back-two-formats-again.html)

Paul Leung August 23rd, 2005 11:02 AM

HD DVD, back to two formats again

Take a look. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050823/...ony_toshiba_dc

Dean Harrington August 23rd, 2005 04:11 PM

Beta Max VS vhs......

looks like another war is about to begin. What a waste of effort!

Peter Jefferson August 24th, 2005 12:32 AM

Well Dolby Labs have already signed up with BluRay.. for obvious reasons ...being that blue ray poos on HD DVD (on paper at least)

Greg Harris August 24th, 2005 07:14 AM

no matter what happens, I'll always say HD DVD even if it's "blue ray". I can't see anyone saying "hey, lets go out and get that blue ray and bring it home and watch it"!! And it's easier to explain to chicks, if you call it "blue ray" around them they will get all lost and be like "what's blue ray" then you have to explain it to them. This HD technology is going to crap fast.

Marco Leavitt August 24th, 2005 09:22 AM

Which one's best for us? I can't help but be wary of any format controlled by Sony.

Steven White August 24th, 2005 10:13 AM

Bah. I think I'll sit this one out if I can. As eager as I am for a delivery vehicle for my HD content, unless one of these formats really takes off, it won't be worth the effort. With the Holographic Versatile Disks (HVDs) just around the corner, I see little incentive to invest in either of these formats, when neither has the capacity nor the bandwidth to do HD the justice it deserves.

-Steve

Paul Cascio August 25th, 2005 01:22 PM

Maybe we don't need a single format

Maybe it's easier to let the hardware manufacturers simply build machines that can read/write both formats. The components will be cheap enough.

Sort of like DVD-R and +R.

Bill Porter August 25th, 2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Harris
This HD technology is going to crap fast.

I guess the camcorder market is REALLY going to crap then, because there are MULTIPLE kinds of cameras, from 60i to 24p to 30p and even HDV! Some shoot native 16:9, some do letterboxing, and some letterbox and stretch. Let's boycott Panasonic to prevent the release of the HVX200!

Heck, even the automotive market is going to crap because we now have cars that run cleaner than ever on gasoline, diesel, electric, hybrid gasoline, hybrid diesel, and even fuel cell (first one just got delivered). Ya got gas pumps and diesel pumps, and a socket on the wall - pick whichever one works for you. :) Now do the same for HD or BluRay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Which one's best for us? I can't help but be wary of any format controlled by Sony.

LOL - you said it!

Peter Jefferson August 30th, 2005 08:38 PM

it doesnt matter which hd dvd format is available as sony are already puching blu ray.. its already in use as we speak with ps3 and XDCam utilisation, so irrespective of the arguemnt, sonys will still be available.. whether its the "official" choice, who knows.. but i do know that its already in play..

cant say much for HD-DVD though..

Paul Cascio September 25th, 2005 07:35 AM

Wanna buy my Digital Compact Cassette?

I'm still smarting from that and reuse to buy another Phillips product.

Ozzy Alvarez September 25th, 2005 08:33 PM

I had attended the VideoMaker Expo East this past weekend and from I heard from every manufacturer there, from Panasonic, to JVC, to Adobe, to Matrox, Canopus, etc., well, all of them claimed to be supporting Blu-Ray and all of them truly believe that Blu-Ray will win or deserves to win the format war.

Ozzy

George Ellis September 27th, 2005 05:38 AM

Not so fast Blu-Ray, says Intel, Microsoft

Microsoft, Intel support HD-DVD

Microsoft and Intel have joined the HD-DVD promotion group.

Chris Hurd September 27th, 2005 06:07 AM

I saw that too, George, thanks for posting that link. The saga continues...

Yi Fong Yu September 27th, 2005 12:43 PM

i don't think Holographic will be here THAT fast. i believe it'll be another 7 or more years before it comes down in cost to be effective in the market place. plus, we're forgetting studio support. technology alone does not make it great. it's all about the content.

and yesh, it is starting to look like we need a universal player that plays:
-HD-DVD (upto dual layer)
-SD-DVD (dual layer& +/-R, RW, etc.)
-BluRay (upto quad layer)
-SACD
-MLP

but without phoning home. if the player phones home, it'll be the death knell of the consumer format.