Newest Printer with DVD/CD Printing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 20th, 2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Newest Printer with DVD/CD Printing?

Not sure if anyone checks this particular sub-forum anymore, but here goes. Are there any printer companies that make an inkjet printer capable of printing on CDs/DVDs anymore?

My Epson R280 has decided to crap out on me. I may take it apart and clean it, but since I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, that may not help. I'd really like to get a new printer, but nobody seems to make one anymore. The other problem I'm running into with the Epsons is that you have to do a lot of voodoo in order to get the drivers to work with newer versions of Windows and it works, but doesn't quite work. I'd really like a printer with modern drivers that I don't have to mickey mouse to get to work.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Newest Printer with DVD/CD Printing?

Yes - I've just bought an Epson ET-7700. Its the only all-in-one Eco tank printer that Epson make and it has replaced a Canon MG7100 that was failing. It is expensive to buy but much cheaper to run than a cartridge based printer. I think Epson also do a cheaper printer-only Eco tank model.

Not used it much yet but it was a joy filling the tanks with ink knowing that it would be months before they needed topping up - the old Canon was continuously telling me that one or more cartridges were out of ink.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't see a DVD/CD tray for that model. It will for sure print on printable DVDs/CDs?
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Been through this scenario many times before. These days I just buy a couple of Canon 7260 models each year. Feed then with eBay $3 aftermarket inks and when the printers fail totally I just recycle them and buy new ones. Costs too much to repair them. I guess they are available overseas seeing they are Canon? Cheap enough herein Oz from about A$120.00. I have quite a few jobs each year that require about 50 - 200 discs per project and have had no problem getting a couple of thousand DVDs through these 7260's without any drama other than a few printer head clean sessions. The one problem they can have is after a while they will reject the DVD tray with a disc on it even though the printer has prompted you to continue printing. Found out the way to solve that problem is to give a light spray of Silicone spray on the bottom of the disc tray. Wipe of any excess Silicone and of you go again.

https://bit.ly/34J5B3b

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
I don't see a DVD/CD tray for that model. It will for sure print on printable DVDs/CDs?
The Epson ET-7700 will definitely print DVDs and CDs. The disk tray is stored under the A4 paper tray. You just pull it out , load the disk and feed it in to the printing slot.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Interesting. I've been looking for a printer that has ink tanks and prints on DVD/CD yet I've never had any luck with internet searches finding one. Yet on page 173 of the manual for this printer it definitely does. Thanks for letting a person know that it does.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 09:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use the Canon mx922. It’s one of those all in one (scanner, printer, copier). It’s a great space saver, inexpensive and prints dvds. One of its best features is the printer head can easily be removed whenever it clogs. Normally once an inkjet printer gets clogged which can’t be fixed by running a cleaning cycle it’s worthless. I run generic cartridges that cost next to nothing, allowing you to print to your heart’s content. Of course with all these printers you have to hand feed dvds one at a time.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; December 22nd, 2019 at 09:35 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 02:29 AM   #8
Major Player

I needed to wrap up a project this weekend so I couldn't wait until I could find a 7700 or 7750 Ecotank, I may buy one in the future though.

I ended up getting an Epson 7100 for $99, it was cheaper than many older Epson models sold by people on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. It got the job done. It uses good old inkjet cartridges though, so I expect the starter ink to be pretty low by the time I print off this pile of discs.

On the bright side, compared to my R280, the 7100 prints super fast.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring