DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   newbie questions for first "real" DVD ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/56316-newbie-questions-first-real-dvd.html)

Joa Harrison December 18th, 2005 03:41 PM

newbie questions for first "real" DVD ...

I recently purchased a used 100A and now am wanting to make a short DVD to sell a piece of equipment I own. I need a really inexpensive microphone that will work with the camcorder. What do you all recommend?

Also, what is the best bet for making DVDs with the camera? Can I get by without having to upload the images to my computer first? Can you recommended an affordable DVD burner that will do both the computer burning (for copying multiple discs once I make the first one) and the direct download (for home videos where I won't be making multiple copies)?

I've searched the site but there's an overload of info on these two subjects.

Thanks folks.

Joa

Michael Wisniewski December 18th, 2005 05:43 PM

Inexpensive microphones: Rode Videomic, Audio Technica 897, Sennheiser ME66

Sony makes a product called DVDirect, it's a stand alone DVD recorder that can burn DVDs with or without a computer.

Joa Harrison December 18th, 2005 05:53 PM

Good info, thanks a bunch. I'll check out those brands.

I ran across an XLR mic on Ebay (and googled for reviews) called a JTS NX7. It looks like a good mic for the money ($45)?

Now all I need is the mic and a XLR cable, right? No other adaptors or anything?

Thanks again.

Joa

Joa Harrison December 18th, 2005 05:58 PM

Oh, I should probably point out that the mic I'm looking for is a handheld type and not one that I need to point at things. Something inexpensive for doing interviews in other words.

Joa

Michael Wisniewski December 18th, 2005 06:24 PM

Handheld mics:
Shure SM57 / SM58 / SM63 / VP64A
Electrovoice 635 / RE50
AKG D230

Joa Harrison December 19th, 2005 12:08 AM

Ok, do you guys think I'm crazy for going with something this cheap?

http://www.nadypro.com/pd_vocal.cfm

I can find these all over for less than $20. Geez, the stand is worth that.

Am I going to get absolutely lousy audio quality or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks again.

Joa

Joa Harrison December 19th, 2005 07:53 PM

Will this mic work?

Joa

Joa Harrison December 20th, 2005 01:42 PM

Come on folks, please help me out here, I need to get a mic right away so I can narrate the video. Will this mic work for my DVX100A?

Thanks.

Joa

Barry Green December 20th, 2005 05:10 PM

Yes it would work, in the sense that it will plug in and deliver audio to the DVX. Note that it's a dynamic mic, so you'd want to make sure that phantom power was off.

Now -- what kind of audio quality will it deliver? I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess -- $20 for a mic, stand, and cable? I think most of us pay more than $20 just for a decent XLR cable. So I wouldn't expect much if I were you, but hey, you're free to try it.

Joa Harrison December 20th, 2005 07:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll turn off the 48v phantom power. I'll let you all know how it turns out. If it's too lousy for this then maybe it will be a good karaoke mic. Not that I admit to singing karaoke :)

Joa

Georg Liigand December 21st, 2005 06:23 AM

A good microphone is also Rode NTG-2 which I'll probably buy in the near future. It's similar to the AT897 both in price and features.

Saturnin Kondratiew December 23rd, 2005 11:05 AM

i dont understand ppl wanting to buy cheapo equipment, dude....think about it...why would u want to chance your sound sucking. U buy a cheap mic, your sound will be bad, u'll have to go out and get a proper mic, waste more time trying to do it right the 2nd time around.

everyoe is on a budget but sometimes u have to say to yourslef, i can spend soem $$ on a better piece of gear, or in the long run spend even more money tryin to fix or replace the medicore one!

Your camera is worth a few grand and youre being cheap on a mic, if u cant afford one ..rent a me66 or whatever from a local rental house. IT wont cost u over 35bux

Joa Harrison December 31st, 2005 10:27 PM

Just an update... I got the mic combo working today and have used it for about 45 minutes of interviews and I must say it works just fine. You have to be pretty close to the mic or the sound drops off but other than that it seems clear and sounds fine for man-on-the-street type interviews. Unless someone was very particular I bet you couldn't tell the quality difference if you didn't know it wasn't a $100 Shure (etc).

Sheesh, for $20 it was worth it just for the cord and stand and you could use the mic as a backup.

Now all that being said I still am in the market for a nice shotgun mic that I can mount on my camera to pick up sounds straight ahead. But that's a little different requirement and I'm willing to pay more for good equipment.

Hope this info helps someone else out here. Thanks folks :)

Joa