DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   The best DVD Case & Disc Art Program? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/64872-best-dvd-case-disc-art-program.html)

Austin Walton April 11th, 2006 04:36 PM

The best DVD Case & Disc Art Program?

What do you all believe is the best program? I want something for full size dvd cases & and for the disc itself. Don't have photoshop/illustrator, etc. so I need something that is dvd specific & that will help w/size formatting. Thanks in advance.

Brent Warwick April 12th, 2006 01:14 PM

If you want to know what the "best" is, you have to go with Photoshop. If you can't afford it, Photoshop Elements is more affordable and does most of what you'll need.

Then for size and formatting, you just use a DVD design template. I have a really nice one I designed. If you're interested, send me an email (click on my name, send message via email) with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Otherwise, if you want something with built-in sizing and formatting, you're probably looking at some cheap consumer-grade idiot-proof software that's sold at Wal-Mart for $20. Buyer beware.

Austin Walton April 12th, 2006 03:04 PM

Thank you Brent. I knew that PS would be best, but like everybody else, i'm looking to save some $$$. So you think PS Elements is adequate for this? It appears that you don't have the email option when I click on your name. Could you send me your template...by clicking on my name?? ; ) Thanks!

Philip Gioja April 12th, 2006 11:32 PM

I use photoshop elements extensively -- for all my DVD covers, labels, graphic design for websites, etc. Definitely a good way to go if you are worried about the budget. It'll open almost any photoshop file out there, so you could google photoshop DVD templates and probably find something good that way.

Austin Walton April 13th, 2006 08:01 AM

Thank you Philip. I have Premiere Elements on my PC, and have been impressed by what it can do...for something so cheap. Looks like PS Elements is the solution until I splurge on Adobe Production Studio.

Now here's my next question. Where's a good place to look for cases/paper for the DVDs?

Thanks.

Saturnin Kondratiew April 13th, 2006 11:32 AM

majortiy gets sent out to be reproduced but i guess yorue doing it at home, so just print your stuff out and trim it accordingly(or go to staples or whereever to get 100 copies or whatever), u can buy empty dvd cases at wallmart.

Brent Warwick April 13th, 2006 12:56 PM

Forget about using pre-cut DVD cases. They're waaaayyy more expensive than they should be. I've always just printed using the template I have and either use my rototrim or if the copies are large enough, I'd take them to be stack cut at a print shop.

I also am sending the DVD template right after I send this. Let me know if you have any questions on it.

Austin Walton April 13th, 2006 02:28 PM

Thank You All...

That's why I'm asking...it's good to hear what is tried and true. I'll check my email Brent and let you know if I have any questions. Thanks again.

Martin Archer-Shee April 14th, 2006 05:59 AM

DVD case & disc art

Brent

I saw your comments to Austin about a template for Photoshop and am interested in your approach.
I am just starting to make DVD's this year (as opposed to VHS) for a couple of dance schools. I too have been trying to find the best way of presenting the final item. I had hoped to print on the DVD but that looks too problematic so am headed towards a label system for the DVD and the case. It would be GREATLY appreciated if you could send me a copy of your template. This would really save me a good bit of time.

Many thanks
Martin