DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVD Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/72251-dvd-issues.html)

Colby Knight July 25th, 2006 11:56 AM

DVD Issues

Here's the skinny: Edited my video... burned it to a DVD (via iDVD)... disc played fine in my player. I was happy with how it looked and sounded.

Made 200 copies with my duplicator. (Telex Spinwise)

Of the copies I tested (didn't test all... maybe 10-15 or so), there were NO PROBLEMS. Played fine every time out!

Enter the customers and their DVD players.

For some, there are NO PROBLEMS at all. For others, the DVD locks up, doesn't play, skips around, etc.

I'm using TDK DVDs and wondering if that's an issue.

Is anyone loyal to a specific brand or is there something wacky on their end or mine?

K. Forman July 25th, 2006 12:02 PM

Burning that many, it might be a bad disk or two in the batch.

Colby Knight July 26th, 2006 07:11 AM

I was using TDK -R.
Now I have people coming out of the woodwork saying their DVDs don't work. I'm wondering if it's that specific brand, the DVD authoring software or the duplicator itself.

Of course, there are many that do work and the customers are satisfied. But rarely do you hear from the satisfied customer! 'Hey, wanted to let you know the DVD works!' Haven't had an email or phone call with that yet! :)

Does anyone have a brand that they just love or that works on a majority of DVD players? Everything works on my DVD player, but not everyone has my DVD player!

Also... had one lady a little irritated that it wouldn't play on her Dell computer either.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

K. Forman July 26th, 2006 07:24 AM

From what I understand, you have to be careful about where the DVD was manufactured. It's almost like you have the legit products, and then you have a bootleg product, with the same name stamped on it. Then, you have that whole +/- issue, whether it is a DVD R or RW... way too many things to factor in if you ask me.

Sheila Ward July 26th, 2006 07:43 AM

After tons of research, trial and error, here are some rules I follow:

1. I use only Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD-R media
2. Get a good burner (Plextor 716A for me)
3. I never use a bit rate higher than 6000
4. I only burn at 4x speed (even if the media and burner are rated higher)
5. Use Nero and enable data verification. (Takes longer to create a DVD, but well worth it)

Some may disagree, but these work for me.

Richard Zlamany November 27th, 2006 01:24 AM

I've been pushing my bit rate higher and higher because of my great success with DVDs. I started at 6000 and climbed all the way to 7000 for video rate. Then the failure happened.

The last concert I shot had 2 DVDs not work on the clients DVD players. Yet the DVDs work on my 2 players.

I think lower bit rates helps compatability with DVD players.

The problem is some DVDs look much better with higher bit rates.

Martin Pauly November 27th, 2006 12:20 PM

Sheila and Richard,

are you referring to average or maximum bitrate, and do your numbers just for the single MPEG stream or do they include other data (audio)?

- Martin

Richard Zlamany November 27th, 2006 01:06 PM

I am referring to the maxium bitrate for the single mpeg (video) stream.

I am scoring (right now on burned DVDs) a Quality of 88 on the Nero Speed: Disc Quality Test.

Is this acceptable?

I have not yet received the unplayable DVDs for examination. When I do I will test them in every way possible to see if there are any other causes. I'll post the results when I have them.

Richard Zlamany December 7th, 2006 01:42 PM

The quality test is now scoring my DVD player at 0.

I purchased a new pioneer burner and scored a 91.

I think my old Sony burner went bad after 300 burns.