DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Burned DVD issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/72506-burned-dvd-issues.html)

Josh Bass November 13th, 2006 02:26 PM

Interesting. I don't know what to do about it.

Marco Wagner November 15th, 2006 04:06 PM

Are there ANY spaces in the footage before or after the black areas?

Josh Bass November 15th, 2006 07:16 PM

Do you mean pure black with no text? Yes, most of my movies start in black, credits fade in, and vice versa for the end. One movie cuts to pure black or fades to it after every scene.

Marco Wagner November 15th, 2006 07:41 PM

No I mean just empty space, no black matte, no nothing. For instance I had an audio sync problem in Premiere 6.x, it also made sections skip on DVD. The cause, I didn't have a continous video track the entire length. Some of my black matte sections were a couple frames short of the next clip. That cause the audio to fall out of snyc ever so slightly and stuttery issues with the video on some players. Even if there was no audio in that section of the video, it still had some weird issue. It's a long shot but just tryin'.

Josh Bass November 15th, 2006 10:22 PM

Wow, dude. . .I never thought of that. I don't actually put black matte down, I just fade video out, and let the empty timeline render as black (when I render the MPEG-2, it's usually from a rendered AVI). Are you saying this is a bad way to do it? I thought empty timeline = black when you render. Never thought it made a difference.

Marco Wagner November 16th, 2006 08:36 AM

I could be wrong but that is what happened to me in the past. No black matte = issues. Now I put black matte, or black video down where-ever I want no footage or to do a fade to black etc. I also use it to connect footage that has no transitions. I'm not sure with other NLEs or newer versions of Premiere, but if you don't have a continous video track it seems to me that the DVD player or player software will take that empty space as a zero signal and choke on it.

Josh Bass November 16th, 2006 09:08 AM

That is so crazy! I never knew! I thought it just rendered as black.

So I should have black matte under credits and in parts of the movie that are supposed to just be black?

Is it okay to rerender something with those changes? My first film, I don't have the project file anymore (hard drive died), so I'd have to add it to the already-rendered AVI, and re-render it. Will that work?

Come to think of it, it'd be a pain to recapture all the footage from my other shorts to just to add black. Can I just rerender the AVI with black matte in the appropriate places? Make the opacity 0% on the parts of the AVI that are black and then put matte under them?

Marco Wagner November 16th, 2006 10:46 AM

Never hurts to try. I think credits are ok as it produces transparent video, therefore, not breaking the timeline. But in sections where you don't have ANY footage at all -I'd put black matte there.

As far as previous videos, it's worth a shot, I can't tell you what the outcome would be. I was lucky enough to catch this while I was still working on my projects.

Ken Diewert November 22nd, 2006 12:55 PM

Josh - can you give us an update?

I've always faded to black by leaving a gap in the Vegas timeline too. But I have not experienced any 'glitches'. I do use DVDA however, so maybe that recognizes the black as black.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear how you're making out.

Edit: If you want add a black matte, can't you just add a video track under all the other tracks so that blank spaces in the timeline would be filled with the black matte?

Marco Wagner November 22nd, 2006 12:56 PM

Me too...did you try that out yet Josh?

Josh Bass August 31st, 2007 10:21 PM

Hey guys. Bringing this back after nearly a year.

I just finished my latest project, burned a DVD. It plays fine in my player, so I thought I'd solved my problem (I put a video layer that was just a generated media solid color black below everything else, and in addition, put broadcast colors on all the video tracks). In another DVD player however, absolutely skips and stutters at the beginning of the movie (I put a second of black, and then credits fade up, white text on black, with audio/music underneath).

Any other suggestions? Also, how do I know that whatever black I'm spitting out is legal?

Okay, so what does it mean if it only stutters once the screen is totally black? At the end of the movie, the credits come up almost immediately after the last shot cuts to black. At that point, everything is smooth. When the last credit scrolls up and off the screen, leaving nothing but black, it starts stuttering again (I can tell 'cause the music is still fading out). What does this signify?

George Wing September 1st, 2007 08:05 AM

What are your encoding settings?

Are you using Variable or Constant bitrates? If using VBR, the bitrate might be spiking at certain points, causing the stutter during playback.

If your video duration allows you to use a high bitrate, try using CBR over VBR to see if that helps...

Regards,
George

Josh Bass September 1st, 2007 12:03 PM

Yes, the DVD NTSC template uses VBR, with a Max of 8,000,000, (bps) an average of 6,000,000, and minimum of 192,000.

If changing to CBR, what would you recommend, numbers-wise?

Also, when I do the MPEG-2, the video and audio are encoded in one file. I know it's common for people to do MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio or whatever. Is that an issue?

George Wing September 1st, 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 737935)
Yes, the DVD NTSC template uses VBR, with a Max of 8,000,000, (bps) an average of 6,000,000, and minimum of 192,000.

If changing to CBR, what would you recommend, numbers-wise?

Also, when I do the MPEG-2, the video and audio are encoded in one file. I know it's common for people to do MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio or whatever. Is that an issue?

What type of audio are you using in your final project?

Also, do you have multiple audio tracks (or just one).

And how long is your video duration?

Regards,
George

Josh Bass September 1st, 2007 01:27 PM

What type of audio? I'm not sure I understand the question. . . It's dialogue, with Sound FX and music.

I have rendered directly from the timeline before to MPEG-2, in which case I can have many tracks. . .10 or so. I can also just make a WAV from the timeline, and then use that. Either way is fine with me.

Project is approximately 33 minutes long. Thanks.