DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Espon DVD printer - how do you avoid smearing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/87220-espon-dvd-printer-how-do-you-avoid-smearing.html)

Josh Dahlberg February 22nd, 2007 04:05 AM

Espon DVD printer - how do you avoid smearing?

I recently bought an Epson Photo Stylus DVD printer. I've been using it with TDK printable disks.

Output looks great, but a gentle rub on the printed surface will smear, even a couple of weeks later.

I'm very disappointed, but I can see other people on this board are having success with the Epsons.

What am I doing wrong? I'd love to know, thanks.

Steven Davis February 22nd, 2007 07:03 AM

Try different disks. There are also threads on this board that talk about spraying the disks with a clear coat etc.

Mike Teutsch February 22nd, 2007 07:16 AM

Some serious problem with those disks is all I can think of. I can rub on mine in less than a minute. In fact, I print out to the very edge and after a few minutes I wipe the ink off of the edge with a cloth.

Are your printable disks white? The inks are not water safe you know, just dry rubbing.

Mike

Martin Mayer February 22nd, 2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg
I recently bought an Epson Photo Stylus DVD printer. I've been using it with TDK printable disks.

Output looks great, but a gentle rub on the printed surface will smear, even a couple of weeks later.

I'm very disappointed, but I can see other people on this board are having success with the Epsons.

What am I doing wrong? I'd love to know, thanks.

Josh, you sure you've definitely got INKJET printable, and not THERMAL printable discs? I ask because:

(a) TDK make a thermal disc printer (and probably thermal printable discs to go with it), and
(b) thermal printable discs will never dry with inkjet inks.

Tim OBrien February 22nd, 2007 08:58 AM

Yup, you've either got the wrong discs or the wrong type.

I use Phillips and Taiyo-Yuden inkjet printables and have NEVER had a problem with smearing.

I do let my discs dry overnight before putting them away but never had to resort to clear-coat.

Jamey Johnson February 22nd, 2007 11:54 AM

I have the same printer. I use the Comp USA white printables and have to let them dry overnight. The drying time varies depending on the print quality settings you are using.

Vincent Croce February 22nd, 2007 01:54 PM

Taiyo Yuden glossy waterproof disks...

I use the same ones and never have any problems with smearing or anything else. Give them a shot. At .79 each, they are a great deal and have one of the lowest error rates for burning, too.

Josh Dahlberg February 22nd, 2007 11:11 PM

Wow guys, I'm really impressed by all the fast, helpful feedback to my query.

I really appreciate it.

Looks like I must have been using the wrong disks. I'm going to try the Taiyo-Yuden disks - I've found a place I can order them from in New Zealand

Thanks.

George Ellis February 25th, 2007 07:58 PM

BTW, the newest Epsons are now advertising better ink with better water resistance. I forget the deals though.

Gints Klimanis February 25th, 2007 11:02 PM

I have no such smearing trouble with the Epson R800 and the TDK printable DVDs available from CostCo. I also have had no trouble with printable Memorex CD-Rs or hub-printable Verbatim DVD+Rs. Also, I have never experienced the "spider ink" with a DVD player test within a minute of printing.

Here is a test I did a minute ago with a disk printed three days ago.

1) Drag dry toilet paper over text features (black on light blue) firmly with dry toilet paper
----> mild smudge of features

2) Run water on disk and hold sideways
-------> no run of features

3) Drag dry toilet paper on the wet disk firmly
----> ink wipes off somewhat easily, revealing white disk print medium

Which Epson printer do you have ? I have read about drying trouble with the dye inks for the R200 or R300 printers, and they have been displayed with never models.

Richard Zlamany February 25th, 2007 11:14 PM

"Smudge, scratch, water and fade resistant on Epson Photo papers. For CDs/DVDs, resistant only on specially-treated discs."

This is what I got from the epson site. What discs could they possibly be referring to?

David Grant February 26th, 2007 02:28 AM

Lots of Variables

I print a lot of disks on Epson Printers - 15,000 in the last year. I did a couple in house projects that get distributed on a regular basis and 1 project that a client gives to all new customers. I copy with a 1 reader 7 burner stack and use 3 printers at the same time. After using A LOT of different brands, I would have to say my favorite is the Ritek Ridata printable to hub. I've also used the Costco TDK printables with some good results. You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get. My supplier is getting some silver surface DVDs for me. I use the silver surface CDs and like them. The real trick to impress with delivery is to use a full colour cover (I like the Kirkland photo paper from Costco the best) with a nice hard case. Most people will keep the DVD nice and dry and away from water.

I also use a bulk ink cartridge set-up and it costs 1-2 pennies worth of ink to do a DVD.

Lots of bad products out there. Lots of wasted money.

Don Blish February 27th, 2007 06:28 PM

Epson R1800 on TaioYuden

I have printed many DVDs onto TaioYuden inkjet printabal discs and have been happy with the result. Despite the R1800 printers use of "Ultrachrome" (pigmented) inks, the discs will smear with a wet fingettip. This is not a problem in regular use. Now however, I await inkjet printable Blu-ray discs! (TDK has promised some)