DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Put HD on a DVD and play it on HD DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/88362-put-hd-dvd-play-hd-dvd.html)

Kevin Martorana March 7th, 2007 01:11 AM

Put HD on a DVD and play it on HD DVD

Quick trick....
You can take 20 minutes of HD footage...and author it to a standard DVD.
The Toshiba HD DVD players (and any other manufacturer of HD DVD players) will accept the DVDdisc....read the HD footage...and play it.

I've done it tonite...and tested it.

Here's what I did....

Took a 4 minute video..that was edited in our AVID Adrenaline HD. Exported it out as a 1920x1080 uncompressed QT movie.

Make a HD DVD in DVD Studio Pro....imported the QT movie. Studio Pro encoded the movie.

Burn the disc like normal. Play it in a HD DVD player. Voila !

I want to play with bit rates....but this worked well. Great for delivery of a HD project that is under 20 minutes. I assume if you "UP" the bit rate...the length of video you can put on the disc will decrease.

Has anyone tried this ??

Ron Haley March 7th, 2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana (Post 637417)
Quick trick....
You can take 20 minutes of HD footage...and author it to a standard DVD.
The Toshiba HD DVD players (and any other manufacturer of HD DVD players) will accept the DVDdisc....read the HD footage...and play it.

I've done it tonite...and tested it.

Here's what I did....

Took a 4 minute video..that was edited in our AVID Adrenaline HD. Exported it out as a 1920x1080 uncompressed QT movie.

Make a HD DVD in DVD Studio Pro....imported the QT movie. Studio Pro encoded the movie.

Burn the disc like normal. Play it in a HD DVD player. Voila !

I want to play with bit rates....but this worked well. Great for delivery of a HD project that is under 20 minutes. I assume if you "UP" the bit rate...the length of video you can put on the disc will decrease.

Has anyone tried this ??

Nope, but I've just exported from Premiere Pro 2.0, mpeg2, 1920x1080 (i), imported the clip into Ulead DVD movie factory 5, exported it as a HD-DVD folder, and then written it to a standard DVD using Nero, then played it back as a HD-DVD on my XBox360 HD-DVD player.

Paul Frederick March 8th, 2007 02:12 PM

What version of DVDSP are you using? I have been very unsuccessful making an HD-DVD that will play on my Toshiba HDa1 player. ALso I heard if you upgrade the HDDVD Firmware on the Toshiba to anything from the very first version it will not play a red laser HD-DVD. Do you know what firmware your Toshiba has?

When you say DVDSP encodes the movie, what are your settings? Is it possible it's encoding to SD, and your Toshiba is uprezing it to HD (which that player is great at)? What model Toshiba do you have?

I'm very excited over this but, like i said, I have not been able to get my player to make an HD-DVD made in DVDSP yet.

John C. Chu March 8th, 2007 02:30 PM

The latest upgrade for DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 finally fixes the compatibility issues with making HD DVDs on red laser DVD-R's.

[PC Users have had much better luck with the Ulead Movie Factory and Nero though...]

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/03/h...oshiba-hd.html

Paul Frederick March 9th, 2007 07:30 AM

No kidding? Thats GREAT news. I'm going to download the update now....

James Burland March 14th, 2007 02:24 PM

Are there any other (cheaper) authoring solutions on the Mac?

John C. Chu March 14th, 2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Burland (Post 641692)
Are there any other (cheaper) authoring solutions on the Mac?

I think for the Macintosh platform, that's it. [Though I would expect iDVD to add HD support sometime in the future]

I also hope third parties like Roxio will add HD DVD support in Toast at a more affordable price point.

If you have an Intel Mac and also running Windows...maybe it might be worth it to run ULeadMovie Factory.

George Anthonisen March 19th, 2007 04:55 AM

You can also do this this with Pinnacle studio 10.7.

I do my capture/edit in Vegas then export to studio. I use a DL disk and drop the bitrate a little to 19000 (don''t really notice a quality drop) and this gives you about 50 minutes (plus DD5.1 sound). Studio sells for about $70 and the HD DVD plugin is an extra $50

Peter Ferling March 20th, 2007 06:46 AM

I use an Avel Linkplayer to playback mpeg transport streams directly from a DVD data disk. Which I use for HD playback at convention booths and projection media. If I have to cross the 20min barrier (for DVD capacity), then I use a 720p windows media file.

Marco Levi March 20th, 2007 09:12 AM

dear friends, it's really to put video hd on a dvd and play it on hd dvd ?????
if this is confirmed is wonderfull news. :-))))))))))))))))))))))))
the quality image is good ???

which bite rate advise for product a wonderfull quality image ????

i am waiting your help for product this file for burner to my standard dvd normal o dual layer

i use a camcorder sony hdv hc3 and nle sony vegas 7 which step i must follow for product the structure of hd dvd ???
i have the sw ulead dvd movie factory 6 plus i phink it build a structure of hd-dvd.
which is the correct procedure for burner file (hd dvd) ready with roxio 9 or nero burning rom ???
thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.
marco

John C. Chu March 20th, 2007 11:30 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

Marco,

I really like the above link. These guys have worked out all the issues with burning HD DVD on regular DVD.

Marco Levi March 20th, 2007 01:08 PM

your informations is fantastic thanks a lot !!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Chu (Post 644982)

Marco,

I really like the above link. These guys have worked out all the issues with burning HD DVD on regular DVD.

your informations is fantastic thanks a lot !!!!!!!
gold informations !!!!!
:-))))))))
bye marco

George Anthonisen March 20th, 2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Chu (Post 644982)

Marco,

That's a pretty old method... it works but it's not the best. It does not do a good job at all with double layer disks. Pinnacle studio 10.7 is MUCH better

David Tyler March 25th, 2007 10:39 AM

Do you know whether the Pinnacle Studio 10.7 method will work on UK Pal systems?

George Anthonisen March 25th, 2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tyler (Post 647957)
Do you know whether the Pinnacle Studio 10.7 method will work on UK Pal systems?

As far as I know , it does. I do know a few PAL users on the pinnacle board that have the HD DVD plugin and I have not heard any complaints from them, so I assume they're satisfied.