DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Dvd Chapters doubling Dvd project size (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/88713-dvd-chapters-doubling-dvd-project-size.html)

Vishal Gurung March 11th, 2007 08:46 PM

Dvd Chapters doubling Dvd project size

hello all.. i've been working on authoring a dvd, initial size with 2 menu's is 3.6gbs, which is great.. then i started a 3rd menu, which is the chapter menu for the reception and linked it all and BAM! it's 6.5gigs!!

i'm at a loss here - as far i know, creating a menu and linking chapters on that menu to a previous track should not double the size of the actual project. Am i mistaken? All the chapter menu is a few tiffs and buttons linking directly to the reception.

Have i made a mistake in authoring this way? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Vishal Gurung March 12th, 2007 11:02 AM

ouch only 5 views - guess this isn't the most popular subforum :) - again, if anyone has an idea of howto help, that'd be much appreciated - otherwise i'll have to pony up and get some double layered disc's :|

Ervin Farkas March 12th, 2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishal Gurung (Post 640309)
ouch only 5 views - guess this isn't the most popular subforum :)

That might be because you're very vague about your problem. What software are you using? PC/Mac? Have you created a new timeline as well? Any other relevant details?

Vishal Gurung March 12th, 2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 640329)
That might be because you're very vague about your problem. What software are you using? PC/Mac? Have you created a new timeline as well? Any other relevant details?

True enough - i posted that after 2 days of working on this project so i've been a tad exhausted

Basically using Dvd studio pro 4 - working on a mac - there are 3 tracks a)Ceremony *1.1gigs* b) Reception *2 gigs* and c)Highlights *approx 500mbs*

I've created 3 menus (Main, and 2 Chapter menus - 1 each for the Ceremony and Reception)

When i was done with the Reception chapter menu, that's when it jumped from 3.6 to 6.5 gigs.. when i take it out, it's back to 3.6gigs..

As i've said previously, doesn't make sense to me, as i'm not adding media, but merely linking up the chapters to the main reception track.

me confused???

Martin Pauly March 12th, 2007 01:00 PM

Vishal,

what you described shouldn't be happening. Is it possible that the way you created the index/chapter menu in DVD Studio Pro caused another track with the same contents to be created by accident? DVD Studio has so many options when you drag assets to a button or menu that it can be confusing to know exactly what it's going to do.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have created a motion menu without limiting its duration to something reasonable (say, 30 seconds or so). I don't know how that would happen by accident, but if your motion menu was as long as your feature, then that could easily explain what you are seeing.

Good luck, and let us know what you found out!

- Martin

Vishal Gurung March 12th, 2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly (Post 640387)
Vishal,

what you described shouldn't be happening. Is it possible that the way you created the index/chapter menu in DVD Studio Pro caused another track with the same contents to be created by accident? DVD Studio has so many options when you drag assets to a button or menu that it can be confusing to know exactly what it's going to do.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have created a motion menu without limiting its duration to something reasonable (say, 30 seconds or so). I don't know how that would happen by accident, but if your motion menu was as long as your feature, then that could easily explain what you are seeing.

Good luck, and let us know what you found out!

- Martin

Hmm the only motion menu i've created is the main menu and it's limited to 72 seconds - and it's size is 52mbs so it doesn't really effect anything much.. The thing is i know it shouldn't be happening - i reckon you're right, in that a track must be duplicating itself somehow/somewhere .. just not sure where - *too many freaking chapters!!*

Looks like i'll have to go thru it with a fine tooth comb unless there are any other suggestions.

Vishal Gurung March 13th, 2007 10:41 AM

solution

so i was less tired last night and messed around with the menu's

What i did was i copied the menu's contents and deleted the menu altogether. This brought the project size back down to 3.6gigs - then i created the chapter menu BG again and still 3.6 gigs.

Next, i imported a tiff i was using as a chapter guide and.. BAM! 6.4 gigs again.. ARGH! happy i was not.

for some inane reason, importing that tiff, or any other tiff file on that particular menu bg, increased the size of the project exponentially.

instead of doing that, i pasted the whole chapters/buttons/tiff files which i had previously copied and that seemed to work - the size remaied 3.6gigs.

So problem solved although i'm not too sure what or how it happened. Thanks for the feedback Martin - it helped for sure. Cheers!

Vish