DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Perya - a Canon 7D short (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/377921-perya-canon-7d-short.html)

Jason Magbanua September 9th, 2009 07:05 AM

Perya - a Canon 7D short

Hi all! I'm really from the wedding forum but I (and my excellent videographer friends) had the great opportunity to test out the Canon 7D.

Here's what we came up with -

Thanks for watching!

Canon Philippines lent us a pre-production model of the 7d. We got it Tuesday 6pm and had to return it the following Thursday at noon.

We wanted to document something truly Filipino and came up with the idea of shooting a "Perya". There really is no direct equivalent in English. It's not as grand as a carnival, not as permanent and posh as an amusement park, there are no pumpkins nor cows in competition like a country fair. It is what it is - a Perya.

Shot in 1920 x 1080 at 24p. Transcoded to XDcam codec. Edited in Premiere Pro CS3.

No color grading was utilized.

No additional lights used.

Khoi Pham September 9th, 2009 07:11 AM

Very nice, thank you.

Warren Gentry September 9th, 2009 07:20 AM

Jason, beautiful photography, and beautiful storytelling. Great job. What kind of jib do you have?

Jason Magbanua September 9th, 2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Gentry (Post 1331321)
Jason, beautiful photography, and beautiful storytelling. Great job. What kind of jib do you have?

My friend Bob used a Kessler =)

Jonathan Bufkin September 9th, 2009 08:13 AM

Wow! Great storytelling!

Bill Pryor September 9th, 2009 08:51 AM

Looks good. What lens?

Dan Chung September 9th, 2009 09:07 AM

Jason,

This is great, exactly the kind of storytelling that I love. Keep up the good work.

Dan

Brian Parker September 9th, 2009 09:17 AM

Excellent short. Well told and beautiful cinematography.

Benjamin Eckstein September 9th, 2009 09:53 AM

Gorgeous. Waiting anxiously for this camera to ship!

Ken Diewert September 9th, 2009 11:22 AM

Beautiful piece Jason,

Reminds me of the small town 'fiestas' in Central America. Did I really see an 8-year old smoking at around 1:06?

Matt Buys September 9th, 2009 11:50 AM

Great stuff. Thanks.

Dan Brockett September 9th, 2009 12:00 PM

For some reason, this is stuttering like mad on my G5, even after it loads all of the way. But even with the compromised playback, this looks amazing. Nice work Jason.

*Update - my G5 had an old version of Flash, updated to the latest and it plays fine. Once again, some really nice documentary filmmaking. Love it.

Dan

Bill Pryor September 9th, 2009 12:16 PM

I'm watching on a MacBook Pro and it's playing fine. Sometimes Vimeo does that to me too, however.

Michael Murie September 9th, 2009 12:21 PM

Great piece of shooting. What lense(s) were you using?

Bill Koehler September 9th, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1332254)
For some reason, this is stuttering like mad on my G5, even after it loads all of the way. But even with the compromised playback, this looks amazing. Nice work Jason.

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1332267)
I'm watching on a MacBook Pro and it's playing fine. Sometimes Vimeo does that to me too, however.

I downloaded the source file and initially watched - or tried - using QuickTime.
This is running under Windows XP 32 bit. Stuttered like mad on an Intel Q6600.

Tried again using VLC 1.0.0 and it plays smooth as silk.

The quality of the video from the Canon DSLR's (5D2 & 7D) is really outstanding.
Your short has an excellent story and is a pleasure to watch.
As the kids said "Fun!, Fun!, Fun!, Fun!"