DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Alcan String Quartet - Two "videoclips" made with the 7D and T2i (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/497140-alcan-string-quartet-two-videoclips-made-7d-t2i.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 14th, 2011 07:30 AM

Alcan String Quartet - Two "music videos" made with the 7D and T2i

Hi, There is two clips I did for the Alcan String Quartet ( Alcan Quartet ), a quartet with an international reputation. This is a very modern incarnation of the classical music.

It was a really great experience. The sync was really really hard to do. We did nine takes, two cams so I had 18 differents angles. We wanted to record the live sound to get the feel and acoustic caracteristics of the place, and the musicians didn't liked the idea to play over a recorded playback. I had the chance to work with a very talented sound recordist who is specialized in classical recording. She recorded the whole 9 takes and edited a final master. I took this master and synched with the reference from the cameras. It was tough because the tempo was never the same. two takes can have up to 10 seconds of difference in lenght. I sometime had to change the speed of the clips to have them sync.

But it was a very fun experience. We setup the place and shot in 4 hours. Please post comments and ask questions!

Paul R Johnson June 14th, 2011 08:21 AM

Re: Alcan String Quartet - Two "videoclips" made with the 7D and T2i

Excellent audio (usually the weak link) and the video editing compliments it - the percussive nature you've consistently hit - so we see what we're hearing. I loved the slow tracking and the fast cutting - I'd love to say I could have done it better - but frankly, I doubt it. Despite not being my particular favourite, that didn't matter - I watched from start to finish and it worked.The industrial setting exploited the style of the music too - hard spikey images, hard spikey music. Yet your lighting was soft - worked great for me,

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 14th, 2011 07:20 PM

Thank you very much for your comments Paul. Really appreciate. Glad you liked. And I understand what you say... classical music is not my cup of tea either, but these two pieces are really entertaining from begining to end.

Jeffrey Kauffman June 20th, 2011 01:55 PM

Beautiful! Nice work!

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 22nd, 2011 08:01 AM

Thank you very much Jeffrey!

Owen Dawe September 26th, 2011 03:40 AM

Well done and possibility the best music video shot on the 7D setup all time. Looked very covincing. What's really set it up as unique is the lack of focus pull in and out\ of focus to a totally boring repetive degree in most videos shot on this equipement. You totally over came the compulsive desire to rack focus every scene till if comes tirelessly repetive.

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 26th, 2011 07:09 PM

Owen,

thank you very much for you comments. Greatly appreciated. Glad you liked!