DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First 5D II wedding video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/141436-first-5d-ii-wedding-video.html)

Jack Tran January 14th, 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir Chaloupka (Post 994487)
I'm concerned that a couple people reported the video played back jerky? Is anyone else seeing this? On both my desktop and laptop it plays pretty smooth on Vimeo

Plays smooth for me.
Again, amazing video! Great cinematography!

Bill Grant January 14th, 2009 11:42 PM

Vladimir,
This played good for me too. I have to say this is the best 5d footage I've seen. Great stuff. I too was a little thrown off by the people talking with no audio. I wanted to ask about RAdiohead. Did the couple choose this song?, and wow what a good choice. Thanks for posting. This makes me cry that I have to continue to edit stuff shot with my A1s because a real video camera like this doesn't exist yet.
Bill

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2009 01:26 AM

Very smooth. The sensor is amazing.

Vladimir Chaloupka January 15th, 2009 03:52 AM

Thank you! :-)

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2009 11:04 AM

I agree Bill. I have two new FX1000s and they don't hold a candle to this footage. It is very frustrating. In the photo store the other day I was shown how large the sensors are on the Canon and I couldn't believe HOW large they are. It is no wonder they record such awesome images.

Tom Hardwick January 15th, 2009 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Jeff Harper;995415]I agree Bill. I have two new FX1000s and they don't hold a candle to this footage. It is very frustrating./QUOTE]

Don't get too frustrated Jeff. You know what they say - highly successful films gather such adjectives because their audio is good, and your audio capture has a lot more potential than a bare 5D. Big chips certainly see well in the dark and allow you to control the dof with more finesse, but look - you have a 20x zoom at your fingertips, your camera has a swivelling turning, twisting screen, you can shoot for an hour non-stop and I bet your Blu-rays slap your clients awake.

Successful filmmaking is much more to do with your shooting and editing decisions than ever it is to do with your kit, believe me. So go forth with those FX1000s; remember that if time-travel could take you back 10 years the Hi-8 videographers would fall unconscious at your feet in gob-smacked shock and awe. All things are relative.

Yet you and I and Vlad know this: your brain makes the movie. The camcorder is but a senseless lump of magnesium and glass. It sits there, dumb, waiting for input, any input. Then like an obiedient moron it does what it's told, no more and no less.

tom.

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2009 11:38 AM

All you say is true, Tom. But this camera is on my list anyway! I don't know what I'd do with it, but I want one!

Jon Fairhurst January 15th, 2009 12:45 PM

Nicely said, Tom. I'd rather have a movie with a great script, acting, editing and sound, than a crummy movie shot on a nice camera.

That said, shallow DOF, high resolution, great color and effective diffusion combine to make an emotional impact. Just look at a stunning still photo. There's no dialog, acting, time-based editing or sound, but a great photo can be breathtaking.

Having the potential to combine the emotions of great photos with the dynamics of film is an amazing opportunity.

Robert Lane January 15th, 2009 01:02 PM

This is by far the best wedding video I've ever seen. Period. There's no "video" camera on the market today - at any price-point - that matches the DOF characteristics, color rendition and almost grainless output. Sure, you can spend tens of thousands on putting special rigs on video cameras to get 35mm-like DOF but you're still dealing with noisy and far more costly cameras and media to start with.

As I've said before a DSLR isn't an *ideal* video platform simply because of form factor and lack of manual controls. But as this video proves, if you know the limitations of the equipment and how to overcome them then it just doesn't matter. Does it?!

This clip firmly proves that DSLR videography is here to stay and the vid-cam manufacturers need to rethink their technology from the ground up.

Vladimir: Great job!

Vladimir Chaloupka January 16th, 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 995487)
This is by far the best wedding video I've ever seen. Period. There's no "video" camera on the market today - at any price-point - that matches the DOF characteristics, color rendition and almost grainless output. Sure, you can spend tens of thousands on putting special rigs on video cameras to get 35mm-like DOF but you're still dealing with noisy and far more costly cameras and media to start with.

As I've said before a DSLR isn't an *ideal* video platform simply because of form factor and lack of manual controls. But as this video proves, if you know the limitations of the equipment and how to overcome them then it just doesn't matter. Does it?!

This clip firmly proves that DSLR videography is here to stay and the vid-cam manufacturers need to rethink their technology from the ground up.

Vladimir: Great job!

Thanks Robert--you made my day!!