DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Another good video with the 5DMKII (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/142723-another-good-video-5dmkii.html)

Ray Bell January 30th, 2009 08:06 AM

Another good video with the 5DMKII

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Voyage

Yang Wen January 30th, 2009 08:30 AM

Best 5D2 video I've seen... by far!

Matthew Roddy January 30th, 2009 12:35 PM

I saw this when it came out a few weeks back (don't remember where it was posted), and yes, it's truly awesome. Spectaclularly shot and really well done in post.
Overall, a solid "A" quality video.

Good show!

Toenis Liivamaegi January 30th, 2009 04:50 PM

I wonder how long can they promote EF lenses for film making...
... this is an alright clip for sure but once you purchase EF lenses based on videos you've seen you just want to nuke the Nagasaki again.
Just an update in firmware to sell lenses or not.

T

Yang Wen January 30th, 2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1004134)
I wonder how long can they promote EF lenses for film making...
... this is an alright clip for sure but once you purchase EF lenses based on videos you've seen you just want to nuke the Nagasaki again.
Just an update in firmware to sell lenses or not.

T

Why so cynical? Any reasonable person will already know that to achieve certain look, you must have certain lenses. At least with a 5D2, you have the flexibility of using various lenses(just like in the film industry) to achieve a specific look.

Are the nay-sayers giving us an alternative ?

Christopher Witz January 30th, 2009 06:13 PM

Author Anne Lamott once said, “Brickwork can be done as a laborer or as an artisan.” The work is the same, but the process and outcomes vary.

Julian Frost January 30th, 2009 07:28 PM

Having seen the reply to a customer from Canon about them not adding any new features to the 5D mk II (because it's a consumer stills camera "which also takes video"), I think it's a bit unfair for Canon to keep posting these professionally produced videos which clearly imply that's what the camera is used for. Then, when the average consumer complains about using the camera for shooting video, and the lack of control they're given, Canon again gives us the, "it's a stills camera" line. So what is it? A camera that's an obvious choice for people who want to shoot these great productions... or a consumer stills camera which also happens to shoot video?

Julian

Jon Fairhurst January 30th, 2009 08:45 PM

This video has good pictures - and great editing. They repeated the speed change effect a few too many times in a row for my taste, but they've definitely got the chops.

Mitch Aunger January 31st, 2009 06:35 AM

It is indeed one of my favorite videos so far. I'm very impressed to see it now on Canon's site too.

Tho i do agree with Jon, it has just one or two too many speed changes.

Yang Wen January 31st, 2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Frost (Post 1004199)
Having seen the reply to a customer from Canon about them not adding any new features to the 5D mk II (because it's a consumer stills camera "which also takes video"), I think it's a bit unfair for Canon to keep posting these professionally produced videos which clearly imply that's what the camera is used for. Then, when the average consumer complains about using the camera for shooting video, and the lack of control they're given, Canon again gives us the, "it's a stills camera" line. So what is it? A camera that's an obvious choice for people who want to shoot these great productions... or a consumer stills camera which also happens to shoot video?

Julian

So is it also unfair if they advertise with materials produced by seasoned professionals and then in the hands of consumers, they complain they can produce anything close to thatquality? I don't see the reason for the complaints, especially since they used the 5D2 (with all of its limitations) to produce said advertisements. They only thing they offer to us is the equipment. Talent/skill is not included.

Julian Frost January 31st, 2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1004467)
So is it also unfair if they advertise with materials produced by seasoned professionals and then in the hands of consumers, they complain they can produce anything close to thatquality? I don't see the reason for the complaints, especially since they used the 5D2 (with all of its limitations) to produce said advertisements. They only thing they offer to us is the equipment. Talent/skill is not included.

No, but what is unfair is that on the one hand they're heavily pushing the video capabilities of the camera by advertising these great videos (done by experts, with tons of extra equipment, including substantial lighting), and on the other, they say, "Hey, it's a stills camera, and it just happens to also do some rudimentary video, don't expect too much from the video."

Julian

Yang Wen January 31st, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Frost (Post 1004532)
No, but what is unfair is that on the one hand they're heavily pushing the video capabilities of the camera by advertising these great videos (done by experts, with tons of extra equipment, including substantial lighting), and on the other, they say, "Hey, it's a stills camera, and it just happens to also do some rudimentary video, don't expect too much from the video."

Julian

Okay but the results they've achieved in the ad were within the limitations of the camera. So I still don't understand. It's like watching a car commercial showing the vehicle driving thru an exciting landscape with good looking passenger inside and then someone purchases the vehicle and it's not nearly as exciting driving around in suburbia mid-west, should they then complain the automaker for overly glamorized advertisement?

Just because some people can't get over the 5D2's consumer-ish video controls doesn't mean there aren't other people creating high-end work with it by adjusting to its limitation.

Ray Bell January 31st, 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Aunger (Post 1004359)
Hopefully you saw it on the 5d wiki :)

It is indeed one of my favorite videos so far. I'm very impressed to see it now on Canon's site too.

Tho i do agree with Jon, it has just one or two too many speed changes.

He probably got Twixtor as a Xmas gift and is just giving his best :-) a little over done
but I do like to see it applied in different ways as it gives me ideas on how to use it...

Julian Frost January 31st, 2009 05:39 PM

In your example, if you owned the car you could drive it through an exciting landscape and have a good-looking passenger next to you, if you so wanted. And, more than likely, apart from paying for the good-looking passenger(!), it wouldn't cost you anything and you wouldn't need any additional equipment to do it.

Canon, on the other hand, is promoting professional video from it's 5D mk II, and then saying "don't expect professional video from this *stills* camera."

Julian