DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Canon EOS 5 Mark 2 Expedition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/142867-canon-eos-5-mark-2-expedition.html)

Bob Thompson February 1st, 2009 04:41 PM

Canon EOS 5 Mark 2 Expedition

I found this video, it apparently is in Swiss but it is IMHO one one the best videos produced with this camera, I would love to know what it is all about.

MK2 HD

Xander Shorno February 2nd, 2009 10:27 AM

Ok I’m form Switzerland so I try to translate the essence of this video.

This is a two day trip in Switzerland to test the Canon 5DMKII. It is done by two guys from Swiss national television (www.sf.tv). They had one week to test the cameras. I assume it was done to check if the camera can be used for some serious work.

The first day was shot on the road from Bern to the French part of Switzerland. The chopper flight was, not planed in the beginning but when they saw the hot Air balloon they thought it would be cool to have some aerial shots.

On day two they went to gruyere castle and tested the in camera contrast settings. Afterwards they did the winter landscape near Fribourg. After that they headed back to the TPC studios where the swiss national tv station produces shows like Arena or the nation News. They shot some studio material to check how the camera is going to handle it.

Now they went to a club to test the low light capabilities of the 5dMK2.

In the end they speak about the pros and cons of the cam. Nothing new here for a DVinfo member.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Bob Thompson February 2nd, 2009 03:20 PM

Xander, Thank you very much for taking the time to translate the video.

Did they mention how they achieved the high & low contrast shot ?

Bob

Xander Shorno February 2nd, 2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson (Post 1005446)
Xander, Thank you very much for taking the time to translate the video.

Did they mention how they achieved the high & low contrast shot ?

Bob

Yes they did talk about the in camera contrast settings. In one shot they did set the contrast to high to demonstrate crushed blacks and blown out highlight. In direct sunlight or other contrasty situation they recommend setting the contrast to low. I do not know how they exactly did set the contrast values in the camera. I guess it is a simple setting in the menu somewhere. (Unfortunately I do not have access to a 5DMKII so may be someone else can jump in here)

Mark Hahn February 2nd, 2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xander Shorno (Post 1005458)
Yes they did talk about the in camera contrast settings. In one shot they did set the contrast to high to demonstrate crushed blacks and blown out highlight. In direct sunlight or other contrasty situation they recommend setting the contrast to low. I do not know how they exactly did set the contrast values in the camera. I guess it is a simple setting in the menu somewhere. (Unfortunately I do not have access to a 5DMKII so may be someone else can jump in here)

Picture style settings work in video as well as stills.