DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   NIN Concert shot with 5DM2 - A "little" rolling shutter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/144749-nin-concert-shot-5dm2-little-rolling-shutter.html)

Guy Cochran February 27th, 2009 10:41 AM

NIN Concert shot with 5DM2 - A "little" rolling shutter

This is about the most extreme example of the rolling shutter effect. Filmed at a NIN concert.

1,000,000 Live from on stage, Sydney 2.22.09 [HD] on Vimeo

Marcus Marchesseault February 27th, 2009 01:52 PM

It seems to me that a fair amount of that was light hitting the surface of the lens and could be mitigated with a hood. If it wasn't flash hitting the lens, it wouldn't cover the whole image and would instead be light bouncing off objects in the scene. Of course, the smoke/fog probably didn't help but I think there are steps that can be taken to reduce the issue. Look at the flash emanating from the audience' cameras. Those flashes don't look as obviously corrupted.

Thanks for the post. It must be nice to get that kind of access.

Robert A. Lewis February 27th, 2009 02:26 PM

Wow, that is the best example for those of us just learning about the issue. What strikes me is it gives the appearance of occurring at different depths, sometimes in front of a person and then behind.

I was thinking for the wedding folk you can edit around and hide the rolling, but it this case I almost want to find ways to incorporate it into "a look". Especially some of the drummer shots, it's like the light is eating him, and he's beating his way out.

Of course if one wants to do an effects heavy production you're better off with clean footage and clear plan, but it's really interesting none the less.

Guy Cochran February 27th, 2009 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 1019533)
Thanks for the post. It must be nice to get that kind of access.

Actually, that's not my footage, sorry if it came across that way. My footage would have been smoother lol. It's Twitter / rob_sheridan

After my episode with The Mars Volta, I'm not sure if I want to shoot any more crazy bands. Rolling Stone

Liza Witz February 27th, 2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1019576)
After my episode with The Mars Volta, I'm not sure if I want to shoot any more crazy bands.

I hope you got him right on the nose.

Yang Wen February 27th, 2009 05:11 PM

The strobes definitely looked bad with the CMOS sensor.. alas, I guess you can't have everything!

Michael Friedman February 27th, 2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

After my episode with The Mars Volta, I'm not sure if I want to shoot any more crazy bands.

I hope that photo is at the top of your resume. Epic. Seriously.

Jonas Nystrom February 27th, 2009 08:10 PM

Severe rolling shutter! Quite ugly - ut have anyony downloaded the full HD version?

Anders Mildestveit March 1st, 2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Actually, that's not my footage, sorry if it came across that way. My footage would have been smoother lol. It's Twitter / rob_sheridan

After my episode with The Mars Volta, I'm not sure if I want to shoot any more crazy bands. Rolling Stone

WOW, what happened?
I love Mars Volta but yeah, they're a bit crazy... ;)